QM2 June 14-21 WB TA log

BlueRiband

Sunday June 14th

Mostly cloudy, fair

Passport, ticket, credit card. Forget anything else and it’s an inconvenience. Forget one of those and it’s game over. For this WB voyage I didn’t use the “go green” option so I now have nice pre-printed and pre-punched luggage labels. How does Cunard expect anybody to carry a stapler while on vacation so they could affix an inkjet label?

Sailing on the QM2 is something of a fellowship. During my stay in London tablemates for my 2011 crossing were staying at my hotel. Upon checkin another guest had recognized me from the ship and we chatted about our upcoming plans. I do however have a bone to pick with Cunard regarding pre-voyage hotels. The 2011 tablemates didn’t like their initial London options and had their TA contact Cunard, and was able to get them this hotel at Cunard’s rate. I have booked directly and was told all London hotel packages were sold out as was the waitlist. Time to reconsider direct booking. One would think that Cunard would like passengers to use direct website booking since it means they don’t pay anybody a commission.

Days earlier Cunard’s agent had contacted my hotel and confirm the car pickup. The car arrived a few minutes early and I was on my way to Southampton. The time just flew by as my driver and I chatted about our respective countries political leaders – something we can do since neither of us has a dog in the other’s fight. This drive took about 90 minutes compared to almost two and one half hours getting to London, mostly due to the Sunday morning traffic flow.

QM2 docked at the QEII terminal rather than the Ocean terminal. It’s more nostalgic since this terminal has models and posters of ships past – QM2, SSUS, Levithan. Checik in goes quickly (since I head for the priority queue – Grills bypassing the Rowers) but the bottleneck is the security screen. The slow screening seems to be caused by people like myself who are lugging a lot of hand carried crap, but it’s expensive crap that helped the local economy. As it turned out I could have packed a couple of items since was no UK customs presence – just the drop box for VAT refunds that was mentioned in the five year old posts.

Nonetheless I boarded within fifteen minutes of arriving where it had taken over an hour in New York. My first bag arrived as soon as I put away my carry on stuff, and shortly after that the second larger bag. They do put your luggage in your stateroom if they know you are there because there’s a good chance of collecting a portrait of a dead US President.

The Blue Ensign is flying, meaning that Christopher Wells is still on as QM2’s master. Since the Blue Ensign was being lowered upon our arrival last Wednesday I had thought that Kevin Oprey was coming on board, but the lowering may have been due to some maintenance.

Unpacking done, but my clothing for tomorrow has not survived my packing very well. Evening dresses and bathing suit didn’t get unpacked as I had no use for them in London. I opt to do the quick touch up pressing myself and the laundry room has a two people waiting for washers. I get my pressing done and get out of there before things get nasty. If the environmental zealots have their way there won’t be self service laundries and this is one time the cruise lines would be happy to comply. They don’t generate revenue but do generate complaints.

Muster drill was only in English this time. As in my EB crossing we were directed down through a crew stairway. At that time I mentioned that there area had what looked like some kind of wall mounted information desk and full deck diagrams. This time I notice the other wall outline: “Evacuation of Guests to Lifeboats”.

Sail away is not as spectacular as it is from New York, but we have horn salutes from three other ships in port today: Caribbean Princess, Celebrity Equinox, and P&O Aurora. Caribbean Princess sounds and looks like the polar opposite of Cunard. To each his/her own but I hope those that like RCI style keep to RCI and don’t try to introduce that kitch here. In front of us at the QEII terminal is a French Navy destroyer – no idea what that’s doing here. We back out, and using the bow thrusters turn counterclockwise to head down the channel. At one point we were quickly moving sideways away from the end of the pier as the wind was pushing us broadside. If I remember the number correctly, QM2’s broadside is a 3.5 acre sail.

Up on deck 13 two teens are playing paddle tennis in the refurbished starboard court. The surrounding netting looks new, and there is a grass-like turf. This is the plastic “Astroturf” but something that looks more like an actual lawn. The port side netting also looks replaced but the basketball court has no basketball hoops. Why did they bother?

The seating at dinner is a pleasant surprise – I’m at Table 36 which is at the aft end. Something I’ve wanted for the wonderful views. Two of my table mates are women traveling from Switzerland whose primary language is German but they speak English although they sometimes search for vocabulary. There is an American couple and another from the UK. We have some pleasant conversation but at the end it turns bad when one proclaims a view on man-made global warming and I take the opposing view. Won’t be surprise if I’m bumped elsewhere tomorrow. In prevailing opinion in the UK does not tolerate dissent on this issue. (This can only spiral downward if I reveal that I’m personally involved in animal testing.)

The good news is that we get an extra hour tonight, and set clocks back 1 hour at 2AM.

5:30 wake up call as the ship alarm sounds on blast and a PA call for a first aid team to deck 1. It turned out that some automatic alarm had gone off.

At 6AM we passed Bishop Rock to start our sea passage, yet we are close enough to the coast to still see other vessels. The morning had been gloriously sunny but has since clouded over. It’s quite cooloutside and the aft ends of the ship are popular for sun lounging as it is protected from the wind. Having a dining table near the aft end doesn’t bother me as people have the lounger backs to the PG restaurant. I like to see activity about the ship and consider these common areas to be the great democracy of QM2 – no “tent cities” of cabanas and pods solely for premium fare passengers.

As I leave the 2nd Insights lecture of the morning a German language one is still ongoing in the Royal Court Theatre, so evidently we have a sizable proportion of German passengers.

I get the impression there are a lot of “red cards” on board. At breakfast I overhear a conversation that the food and service is nowhere near as good as Celebrity and the opinion that wine packages are sold for the convenience of unknowledgeable Americans who don’t know how to choose wines. Sad that somebody sees only negatives this early on.On the other hand my two German/English speaking table mates are enjoying their voyage. Their seeing images of QM2 sailing from Hamburg had inspired them to sail on this ship.

Edited by BlueRiband

Tuesday, June 16, Second sea day

During the night we set clocks back another hour. The fog horn sounded during the night, and at the Noon update Captain Wells would explain that the sounding in reduced visibility has been in required since 1894 and is still on the books. We’re experiencing 35knot winds across the decks. At Noon the sun would emerge and we start to get some pitching of the ship. We’re currently doing 19 knots at a 255deg heading.

The CC gathering yesterday was attended by six of us, with myself as the only regular contributor to the boards and the others mainly lurkers. During our chat I learned than none of us cared for the activities typically arranged by “superorganizers”. Disappointingly however, one mentioned that they “loved everything about the Royal Princess”. I kept quiet about my opinion since one look at that ugly ship was all I needed to know that she represents everything I hate about ultra casual cruising. When the conversation turns to formal night and I mention looking forward to it, one women mentions, “We’ll see what happens”. Evidently she and her husband have not brought anything that will pass for formal clothing but will attempt to use the Britannia dining room. I make the excuse of a spa appointment to leave before I got on my opinionated high horse – namely that they want to deny the advertised formal night experience to their fellow passengers by personally contributing to cheapen and downgrade it.

Edited by BlueRiband

Tuesday evening, June 16

The weather has deteriorated to light fog, although not enough to totally obliterate the horizon. Force 7 winds (near gale force) and rough seas. We’re experiencing some pitching and some tables are empty in the dining room. Anybody out on deck is wrapped in a winter – like coat. As I write the ship is experiencing some pitching. We are heading 253deg at 20.4 knots.

Edited by BlueRiband

... The CC gathering yesterday was attended by six of us, with myself as the only regular contributor to the boards and the others mainly lurkers. During our chat I learned than none of us cared for the activities typically arranged by “superorganizers”. Disappointingly however, one mentioned that they “loved everything about the Royal Princess”. I kept quiet about my opinion since one look at that ugly ship was all I needed to know that she represents everything I hate about ultra casual cruising. When the conversation turns to formal night and I mention looking forward to it, one women mentions, “We’ll see what happens”. Evidently she and her husband have not brought anything that will pass for formal clothing but will attempt to use the Britannia dining room. I make the excuse of a spa appointment to leave before I got on my opinionated high horse – namely that they want to deny the advertised formal night experience to their fellow passengers by personally contributing to cheapen and downgrade it.
Very well said BlueRiband, totally agree with your (highlighted) comments. Thank you! :)

When the conversation turns to formal night and I mention looking forward to it, one women mentions, “We’ll see what happens”. Evidently she and her husband have not brought anything that will pass for formal clothing but will attempt to use the Britannia dining room. .

sitting here on the edge of my seat and with baited breath to find out what happens in the dining room....don't leave us hanging!

But apart from that, thanks for the banter and posts BlueRiband

regards Roscoe

During the night we set clocks back another hour. The fog horn sounded during the night, and at the Noon update Captain Wells would explain that the sounding in reduced visibility has been in required since 1894 and is still on the books. We’re experiencing 35knot winds across the decks. At Noon the sun would emerge and we start to get some pitching of the ship. We’re currently doing 19 knots at a 255deg heading.

The CC gathering yesterday was attended by six of us, with myself as the only regular contributor to the boards and the others mainly lurkers. During our chat I learned than none of us cared for the activities typically arranged by “superorganizers”. Disappointingly however, one mentioned that they “loved everything about the Royal Princess”. I kept quiet about my opinion since one look at that ugly ship was all I needed to know that she represents everything I hate about ultra casual cruising. When the conversation turns to formal night and I mention looking forward to it, one women mentions, “We’ll see what happens”. Evidently she and her husband have not brought anything that will pass for formal clothing but will attempt to use the Britannia dining room. I make the excuse of a spa appointment to leave before I got on my opinionated high horse – namely that they want to deny the advertised formal night experience to their fellow passengers by personally contributing to cheapen and downgrade it.

Princess is definitely NOT an ultra casual cruise experience. Admittedly it is not as overly formal as Cunard - have seen some photos of amazingly OTT outfits worn on Cunard formal nights - and the vast majority of people on Princess comply with the dress codes. Of course there are passengers on all cruiselines who will dress to suit themselves only.

We embark QM2 on Sunday in New York for our first Cunard cruise after 32 cruises with a variety of other lines and I cannot wait to see if it lives up to the hype 😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sitting here on the edge of my seat and with baited breath to find out what happens in the dining room....don't leave us hanging!

But apart from that, thanks for the banter and posts BlueRiband

regards Roscoe

It resolved itself. Apparently everyone realizes that current politics is a sensitive topic in this setting.

The service is definatrly slower than my previous voyages. A couple of fewer waiters mean that the ones they have must handle more tables. This morning I waited at least 10 minutes before getting any coffee.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Cloudy

The fog lifted earlier today and at times the sun peaked out. If first appeared that we should have a pleasant day but the winds increased. As I write we have force 8-9 winds which are gale force, and the noise of the wind can be heard even through a firmly latched balcony door. We also have seas rough – very rough so we fell some pitching of the ship. It’s a “quartering sea’, meaning that the waves are hitting the ship at an angle. All high decks are closed as are all but the aft entrances to the promenade deck. Some sections of the ship creek with the pitching, which I guess is good. If something doesn’t bend it breaks.

At 10 this morning there was an emergency drill for the entire crew, where a fire in a storage area on deck 7 was simulated. While no boats were moved the crews were in place at each station. Since the winds have substantially increased into the afternoon it’s good that they got that one out of the way.

Our speed is only 19knots at the moment, heading 248deg. We are expected to reach the one half mark on our voyage at midnight.

Could you give us any details on the current bill of fare in Brittania ?

Can't because I"m in PG. It's going to change anyway bacause menus reflect the passenger ethinicity. Right now we have 500+ Germans on board and I"m seeing several seafood entrees. So much so that I quipped the ship must be trawling some lines off her stern. :-)

Edited by BlueRiband

Thursday, June 18th

Patches of fog and rain soaked most of the morning. The ship seemed a bit more crowded as only a few determined joggers were out in the rain. The floral centerpiece in the Grand Lobby is in the process of being replaced with a fresh arrangement.

At the noon announcement nobody appeared to ring the Eight Bells. It’s a silly ritual but some who had come to photograph it were disappointed. During the captain’s update it was mentioned that as of last night the International Ice Patrol has been moved the boundary about 100 miles north and our course has been altered to be shortened by about 40 nautical miles compared to our original route.

As I write it is 1:30 ship’s time and the weather is clearing. The deck stewards are putting out the cushions for the promenade deck loungers so we are obviously through the belts of rain. We are at 21 knots heading 256deg. The temperature is also 18degC/64degF and a light jacket is all that is needed on deck.

Lady, I read earlier your post about your fellow guest's dress sizes, now I cannot find your post, has it be withdrawn?.

This is an insult to the German quest's on the ship and brings down the reputation of PG passengers, I have been PG on many cruises and have never heard such insults.

Lady, I read earlier your post about your fellow guest's dress sizes, now I cannot find your post, has it be withdrawn?.

This is an insult to the German quest's on the ship and brings down the reputation of PG passengers, I have been PG on many cruises and have never heard such insults.

That comment is on a different thread and was not made by BlueRiband (the OP), the comment was made by a fellow (German) passenger, and she wasn't being rude about the women's size......she was referring to a "woman that size" would have a hard time buying formal wear in Germany.

Edited by brigittetom

Princess is definitely NOT an ultra casual cruise experience. Admittedly it is not as overly formal as Cunard - have seen some photos of amazingly OTT outfits worn on Cunard formal nights - and the vast majority of people on Princess comply with the dress codes. Of course there are passengers on all cruiselines who will dress to suit themselves only.

We embark QM2 on Sunday in New York for our first Cunard cruise after 32 cruises with a variety of other lines and I cannot wait to see if it lives up to the hype 😄

I could have written your post...I agree. Our first Cunard cruise will be in August. We happen to LOVE Princess (20 plus), and both the Royal and Regal are stunning ships...not ultra casual at all. Yes, the overwhelming majority dress up on formal nights with plenty of tuxedos and gowns. The Royal/Regal ships are generally a very adult experience. I too am looking forward to Cunard as a comparison.

Nothing has been removed, I think the comments you were thinking of were on the EB thread here, where BlueRiband was quoting a previous poster.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Edited by Host Hattie

Friday June 19th

Rain

The day is starting much like yesterday with light for and rain, although the seas are moderate and one can hardly feel the ship move.

A few technical updates. Apple iPhone and iPad use are really problematic here. While I had no trouble using my Windows laptop out on my balcony others complain that they 1) have to open their stateroom door, 2) go to a lounge, or 3) give up and use the hard wired machines in Conexxions. Cunard will have to address this since Apple products used by a substantial number of people. On a positive side, the 3D presentation of Madame Bufferfly had excellent sound. The screen size on board is comparable to that in many US multiplex cinemas.

Some of my table mates - all of whom are first timers on Cunard - like the ship but see wear and tear which needs attention. My own balcony has some rust spots and I hope it was noted in that "2015 Balcony Survey" clipboard that I had noticed on the EB voyage.

Much as I am enjoying the descriptive content of this thread as we embark on 21st June for our first Cunard experience, I am am getting increasingly worried that we will not come up to scratch for this cruiseline? We have always adhered to the dress codes on every cruise we have taken, but it appears that the 'dress police' might be lurking around any corner and we could just end up as part of a future adverse Cunard review 😔

Much as I am enjoying the descriptive content of this thread as we embark on 21st June for our first Cunard experience, I am am getting increasingly worried that we will not come up to scratch for this cruiseline? We have always adhered to the dress codes on every cruise we have taken, but it appears that the 'dress police' might be lurking around any corner and we could just end up as part of a future adverse Cunard review

If you stay within the (dress code) guidelines you can not go wrong and will have a great time.

Much as I am enjoying the descriptive content of this thread as we embark on 21st June for our first Cunard experience, I am am getting increasingly worried that we will not come up to scratch for this cruiseline? We have always adhered to the dress codes on every cruise we have taken, but it appears that the 'dress police' might be lurking around any corner and we could just end up as part of a future adverse Cunard review 😔

Dorset Cruiser, don't worry, just be yourselves with your dress sense, I see you have been with other cruise lines, don't let 'dress police' comments spoil your cruise, Enjoy.