Palma de Mallorca

ATC cruiser

I'll be sailing on Harmony of the Seas next June and I'm looking for recommendations for things to do in Palma de Mallorca. We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers, age 13 and 18. Thanks.

There were quite a few threads going here for those on Epic and Allure this summer if you do a search here.

While many choose a beach day for Palma, others opt just for visiting the center and the cathedral.

It appears one can get a round-trip city transfer from the ship for 5 euro per passenger. Otherwise you need a taxi.

Palma Nova and the other beach areas are around 20 minutes away by taxi.

• 2 months later...
I'll be sailing on Harmony of the Seas next June and I'm looking for recommendations for things to do in Palma de Mallorca. We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers, age 13 and 18. Thanks.

which sailing are you doing? we will be on june 12 boat also with 2 teenagers mine are 15/12

• 2 weeks later...

Great cathedral in Palma. You will see it as you near the place where you tie up. There is a shuttle that will take you near the cathedral. Once there, you can wander the side streets, stop at a cafe for a glass of wine. Many areas of the city are convenient.

Valdemossa is a short ride from town. A walkable town that has a lot of history and will be a bit cooler as it is higher up a hill.

833400713_11-13MallorcaPalmaCathedralofSantaMaria.jpg.70ac01dd108f53547cb9bb553d14859c.jpg

Great cathedral in Palma.

Agreed; it's magnificent. (Night shot below taken during our sailaway a year ago.) If you visit the Cathedral, don't miss St. Peter's Chapel, which has an amazing installation by contemporary artist Miquel Barcelo depicting the miracle of the loaves and the fishes. Cracked ceramic along the walls, from which three dimensional fish, bread, etc. emerge. Dark, eerie. It was mesmerizing. I could hardly tear myself away. This is just a small detail:

PalmaCathfishcloseup_zpsf97c4720.jpg

Palma%20Cath%20at%20night%201024x618_zpsgup3i77r.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

I found this thread about the restored train to Soller. Great details within and it's now on our list of what to do in Mallorca next fall.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2012973

• 2 weeks later...

If you are traveling with kids, you can go the the aquarium of Palma.

We have visited there during our Allure cruise last summer, and it was awesome.

Our kids love any minute there.

There is bus stop near the Cathedral , you can take the bus from there to the aquarium (about 15 minutes ride).

in my opinion it is the best attraction for families in Palma.

http://palmaaquarium.com/eng/

Edited by shay869

• 1 month later...
Hi thomasshawn,

we will also be at the Harmony of the sea on June 12, we are a group of 7 (4 adults and 3 teenagers).

we are arranging some excursions. will be potentially be looking for some additional people to fill out our groups if you're interested

The train is also on my list for this summer. Anyone have experience with it?

We have taken the train twice to Soller. It takes about an hour on the train to get there. We took the bus back, each time, to Palma de Mallorca. I enjoyed it the first time, but only did it the second time because we had friends with us who had never ridden the train to Soller. Soller is a beautiful little village, with a wonderful town square in front of a stunning church. The bus ride back is only about 30 minutes.

Great cathedral in Palma. You will see it as you near the place where you tie up. There is a shuttle that will take you near the cathedral. Once there, you can wander the side streets, stop at a cafe for a glass of wine. Many areas of the city are convenient.

Valdemossa is a short ride from town. A walkable town that has a lot of history and will be a bit cooler as it is higher up a hill.

By all means, if the church is open, go in! It has beautiful stained glass windows. We weren't allowed to take photos when we were there. We paid a small fee to get in. I can't remember exactly how much, but it was worth it.

We have been to Valdemossa two times. We took the bus over and back, each time. It is a beautiful village, and is also well worth the trip. We took the bus from the bus/train station located at Placa Espana. I think we only paid about 4 or 5 euros round trip.

Edited by browneyes7

Sure, let me know.

Thanks

I think for Palma we're just renting a car and beach hoping and taking it easy before we hit it hard later in the week.

I do have some a line on a decent day of activities in Marseille though. email me and we can chat - Shawn

shawn_thomas_99 at Yahoo

We have taken the train twice to Soller. It takes about an hour on the train to get there. We took the bus back, each time, to Palma de Mallorca. I enjoyed it the first time, but only did it the second time because we had friends with us who had never ridden the train to Soller. Soller is a beautiful little village, with a wonderful town square in front of a stunning church. The bus ride back is only about 30 minutes.

Read your post with great interest. We will be in Palma on a cruise in November for the first time and have been trying to decide what to see and do. If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. From a fellow

Texan! :)

I think for Palma we're just renting a car and beach hoping and taking it easy before we hit it hard later in the week.

I do have some a line on a decent day of activities in Marseille though. email me and we can chat - Shawn

shawn_thomas_99 at Yahoo

Hi Shawn,

I think we'll do the hopon/hopoff bus in Palma, but we want to rent private tours for the rest of the ports. I'll email you.

Thanks