Is Maho Walking Distance?

BoxerLuver

I have been reading about the terrible traffic from Maho Beach to the pier in the middle of the day. Is it a walkable distance from Maho back to the pier? If so, my husband and I would prefer it to sitting in a taxi for an hour or two, plus we get our workout for the day in.

I have been reading about the terrible traffic from Maho Beach to the pier in the middle of the day. Is it a walkable distance from Maho back to the pier? If so, my husband and I would prefer it to sitting in a taxi for an hour or two, plus we get our workout for the day in.

I suppose you "could" walk it, and you surely would get your "workout", but it is several miles - some up steep hills, with no sidewalks, through some pretty dreary areas, breathing exhaust under the tropical sun.

Not a good idea.

If you like to walk I would suggest taking a taxi to Simpson Bay. Ask to get dropped off near Mary's Boon/Karakter. It's a 15 minute beach walk and 15 minute neighborhood stroll to Maho from there.

Edited by Karysa

I walked from Cole Bay, about 1/2 way to Maho, back to town, and that was quite enough for me. It is doable for a fit person, but as others have mentioned, it is hot, it is not pedestrian friendly, and you run some risk of getting lost - although I'm sure the locals would put you right. With the winding roads and hills it would probably take close to two hours each way, and that's assuming you were sure of the way. Traffic would have to be really atrocious for a taxi not to be the more time-effective option.

I would recommend instead taking wheels to Maho and then walking either to Mullet Bay, which is nice, to the west, or Simpson Bay on the east. Or both. That would be manageable.

Thank you all for the input, you were a big help!!! Although we are both fit, walking doesn't sound like a good option at all. We will take a taxi in the morning to Mullet and get our walk in going from there to Maho and take the taxi to the pier. 44 days to go!!!!!

I walked from Cole Bay, about 1/2 way to Maho, back to town, and that was quite enough for me. It is doable for a fit person, but as others have mentioned, it is hot, it is not pedestrian friendly, and you run some risk of getting lost - although I'm sure the locals would put you right. With the winding roads and hills it would probably take close to two hours each way, and that's assuming you were sure of the way. Traffic would have to be really atrocious for a taxi not to be the more time-effective option.

I would recommend instead taking wheels to Maho and then walking either to Mullet Bay, which is nice, to the west, or Simpson Bay on the east. Or both. That would be manageable.

OP was worried about Maho being too long in a taxi and Mullet is the beach past Maho.

My wife and I ran from the cruise port to Maho it was 10 miles on the Garmin. We took a cab back.

Interesting.

Which route did you take?

I recall my GPS (driving) recording just over 7 miles one route and just over 8 the other. Obviously, neither took the shorter route along Simpson Bay Beach.

gary

p.s. Who do you fly for?

karysa,

We part ways. :)

We enjoy Driftwood for the cheaper drinks and the less frentic atmosphere.

gary

:) On any other beach I would probably love this place. The best way for me to describe how I feel about Sunset Bar and Grill, throngs of people, jets landing over a beach,and Guys Driftwood Bar on Maho Beach is to think of that Seseme Street song ..."One of these things, doesn't belong!" :D