Sunset sail?

skiiergirl

Has anyone done a sunset sail in Curacao? If so, who did you go with and what was your impression? Good, bad, etc.

We have been to Curacao several times but never stayed late in the evening. Our next trip we are there until 11:00 pm so trying to decide what to do.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I may also be interested in a sunset cruise in mid-March, 2016 when we arrive on the Oosterdam. I see that HAL has one, I was hoping to do better with a locally based tour. We will be in port until 2300.

Thanks for your info...

Neal

I may also be interested in a sunset cruise in mid-March, 2016 when we arrive on the Oosterdam. I see that HAL has one, I was hoping to do better with a locally based tour. We will be in port until 2300.

Thanks for your info...

Neal

We are using Cap't Derek with Smallfield Adventures- google him, he has great reviews!

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your info...

Neal

Neal. This is buffett123 we are in your roll call and signed up for the holland America sunset cruise. If you go will meet you at the meet and greet

• 2 months later...
We went with Bounty Adventures and it was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you sail from? What part of the island? Is it "downtown" (cruise ship or shopping district area) or further out on the island? Did you use their transportation (additional fee)? Did you have dinner anywhere afterward?

Thanks!

Just got a email back from Bounty Adventures. They said they are about a 30 minute ride from the terminal and they charge $9 per person for a pickup. Not sure about way back - will do some research and see if we can get dinner afterwards down by them and then make our way back

I believe they leave at either 4:30 or 5:00 pm, depending on the time of the year. Two hour trip. We don't leave until 11pm, so plenty of time. The cost is $49. See their website - bountyadventures.com

I believe they leave at either 4:30 or 5:00 pm, depending on the time of the year. Two hour trip. We don't leave until 11pm, so plenty of time. The cost is $49. See their website - bountyadventures.com

Thanks for the information. I will check into this.:)

• 4 weeks later...

I sent questions to make sure we could fit in the sunset sail, we sail at 10. I think there is plenty of time, but not sure how far it is back to the cruise terminal. Thanks for the info.

I have submitted a review to Trip Advisor. Unfortunately, I did not copy it so can't post it here in the same wording. Hopefully it will be up in a few days and you can review it there.

If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing sunset sail this is NOT it. It wasn't much of a "sail" at all as the engine ran all but about 15-20 minutes. The engine was very loud and the music was outrageously loud. Not relaxing. There is limited seating. While it isn't a snorkel trip, the best seating is probably on the netting upfront so if you do go wear something that could (probably won't but could) get wet. We had 32 on-board and they said that it was a "light guest count". Not sure where anyone else would have sat. Snacks and drinks were awful. Not sure about the beer but the rum punch and wine were undrinkable. (Hoping my TA review will convince the company to provide better drinks for future sailings.)

If you are a non-smoker you definitely probably want to avoid this excursion. The Captain smoked non-stop and the crew would go back and smoke with him. The guests were told if they wanted to smoke they should go back to the bridge to smoke so that it didn't disturb other guests. The problem with that is the bridge is open so the smoke went everywhere. So unless you were standing in the front half of the boat (or seated on the netting) you were going to smell smoke. Also, two of the guests were smoking upfront/middle way back and several crew members passed them several times and never said anything to them. So I guess if you are a smoker...this is good news.

The cost was $49 pp. We did use the optional transportation ($9 pp roundtrip) and that seemed to be a reasonable price. Going out we were picked up in an open-air school bus which was fine except the driver blared music that none of the pax enjoyed. Another guest requested he turn in down and you couldn't even hear yourself think much less have a conversation! He turned it down for a second and then turned it back up even louder. The return trip was on a smaller enclosed bus.

As far as dinner around there, I didn't see anything close by except the restaurant at the pier that the boat goes out of. It is called the Pirate's Nest. It looked to be more of a bar but had a kitchen. I didn't see anyone eating...just drinking. The bus does do pickups along the way from the pier and dropoffs on the way back to the pier so you can get dropped off at a hotel and find a restaurant near the hotel and then grab a cab back.

We were supposed to leave at 5:00 so the transport picked us up at 4:00. About 1/2 hour to get there including other pickups along the way. Checked in and directed to the boat a little after 5:00. Boat probably departed about 5:15 and we returned to the dock around 7:25-7:30. Bus was waiting to take us back to pier.

It is nice scenery. This could have been such a nice evening with just a few modifications from the company running it. However, based on our experience last night....I can NOT recommend.

• 2 months later...