veranda vs. penthouse Riviera

lidge

Riviera ship: I see that the Ph suites have large closet space and much more room space. How about the actual bathrooms in each? Is it worth the $3000/couple to upgrade? We're headed on a heavy itinerary European tour so we'll be in port all day every day except one. Thanks in advance for your input.

it is a personal choice

We do fine in the regular cabins but that is us

the closet is smaller in the A,B & C cabins

In a PH you also get a butler so you can get your meals served to you insuite on nights when you may be too tired to go to the dining room ....this might be a bonus for a port intensive cruise

I think the shower is larger in the PH cabins also

IMO the length of the cruise is very important in that decision. We have sailed in both and for a 7 day cruise I would stick with the balcony cabin. For a cruise nearer 14 days or more days I would jump at the PH for that increase in price.

The closet in the PH is MUCH larger than in the balcony cabin (guessing - ~4-5' deep by ~10-12' long), but unless you are a serious over-packer, the space in the balcony cabin is adequate. We had a PH on Marina (cabins essentially identical to Riviera) on a TA (16 days) and the clothes we brought filled only a fraction (maybe 1/6) of the closet. But that's us. I hate dragging luggage through airports and don't mind doing laundry, so we brought a rolling carry-on and a 26" checked bag each on that trip. I could have (and have since) brought considerably less and still been entirely fine.

I agree, if your itinerary is shorter or more port-intensive, the smaller cabin is adequate, but the larger PH cabin and butler service are a true luxury on a longer, more leisurely trip.

Edited by TKS

How about specialty restaurant reservations? Any problem getting a decent reservation without the priority access that comes with the Ph? Wouldn't be my deciding factor, but thought I'd ask.

Also, can't we still get meals served in our room even if not "butler" style? Are there limitations in the veranda vs. Ph suites?

How about specialty restaurant reservations? Any problem getting a decent reservation without the priority access that comes with the Ph? Wouldn't be my deciding factor, but thought I'd ask.

Also, can't we still get meals served in our room even if not "butler" style? Are there limitations in the veranda vs. Ph suites?

You can get room service but for meals multi course you need to be in a PH. Personaly I think the dining setup in the PH, at the foot of the bed is not allthat great..... and taking meals out and about way more enjoyable.

Now, in a med trip with a port 8-6 every day, I would not waste money on a veranda that you will only get to use at night....and opt for an inside. When the sailing involves less intense port and a good weather time plus scenic sail close to islands etc, then go for the B#3/B4 or the PH.

On iffy weather, long sea days, and or intense port...I go with the inside as why pay for features of a cabin your likely not going to use....or maybe ocean view.

Had a veranda last week on Rivera 10 days in the Carribe, rained every afternoon,,, and in the evening. the Veranda was useless.

Depends on the cruise sometime it is easy to get extra reservations sometimes not

You can get room service 24/7 the difference is in the A cabin Cat you can get a hot breakfast but B or lower just cold items

The Preismans have a photo of the menu on their blog

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan_menus.htm#room

We have done longer cruises in the lower cabin Cat & survived ;)

Had a veranda last week on Rivera 10 days in the Carribe, rained every afternoon,,, and in the evening. the Veranda was useless.

We must have been on opposite sides of the ship because it didn't rain every afternoon last week and we sat out on the balcony every day and in the evening. Maybe two or three days of rain but it ended quickly, but not every single day did it rain.

I agree with those who say if it's a longer cruise, take the larger room.

I know some people like to cruise more often by taking inside cabins, and justify it by saying that they spend very little time in their rooms and can spend time on deck for views. But for me, part of the joy of cruising is to gaze out from my room and see the ocean, its vastness and its beauty, at various times of the day and night. We have sailed in ocean view, french balcony, verandas and in penthouse categories, and even spent a port intensive family cruise in several inside cabins, depending upon our needs and disposable income at the time. If given the choice, however, I would choose a balcony every single time.

There is nothing more calming or relaxing than sitting on the balcony with a coffee, cocktail or glass of wine and gazing at all that water. And there is also the excitement of seeing land and anticipating what you will be seeing.

As far as Oceania goes, our experience has only been in a PH category, and we have found that to be very generous in size for all our needs, including room service and meals. The table was in front of the sofa on the Insignia, so we had a lovely view of the water as we were eating, or drinking!

For our upcoming cruise, we would have been content in a smaller size cabin because we wanted the itinerary and because of the timing. We waitlisted a PH, and when it opened up, we booked it. As everyone has pointed out, it is 100% a matter of personal preference.

Good luck with your decision. But I personally would not book an inside.:)

We must have been on opposite sides of the ship because it didn't rain every afternoon last week and we sat out on the balcony every day and in the evening. Maybe two or three days of rain but it ended quickly, but not every single day did it rain.

Some people have more a vivid imagination than others :D

Hope the cruise went well for you

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Depends on the cruise sometime it is easy to get extra reservations sometimes not

You can get room service 24/7 the difference is in the A cabin Cat you can get a hot breakfast but B or lower just cold items

The Preismans have a photo of the menu on their blog

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan_menus.htm#room

We have done longer cruises in the lower cabin Cat & survived ;)

Our thing is having the extra room in a PH. We do not cruise just to survive.

I completely agree about having a veranda. It's a lovely, private place to enjoy the sea, coming/going from ports, etc. Someone stated that there are larger veranda on some ?B3 category rooms on Riviera? Anyone have more details about this?

And thanks for the update about hot vs. cold menu choices for breakfast. Being a port intensive cruise, I can definitely see ordering room service for breakfast to help move along the early mornings.

Lyn

This was the Jan 13 sailing...and it rained a good portion daily...than and prevailing winds continuously or almost continuously made the balcony. useless for much of the time... had a view but thats it...

It all depends on forecast and historical weather. locale, route and time of year as to whats the best option for that cruise. You have to look,as others have said at your potential experience

As far as imagination, conversely, some people will be so excited and happy to just be on a ship where its warm and have great food that they could sail through a hurricane and never notice it.........

I'm also in the same predicament. I'm sailing on Riviera for 17 nights (B2B) in July and I am booked in a PH3. If I downgrade to A2, I will save $4400 (for the 2 of us). That is a considerable savings.

This will be my 6th & 7th cruise with Oceania and we've always sailed in a PH3. We never eat in our room and we rarely have a need for the butler. I like the space, closet and the lower reclining deck chairs on the PH balcony. Of course I like the PH overall....but I also like the idea of saving $4400. The A2 just seems small....and that closet size and location doesn't look great. I shouldn't complain....I could certainly get used to it if made the switch but I'm sure I'll be wishing I didn't.

I completely agree about having a veranda. It's a lovely, private place to enjoy the sea, coming/going from ports, etc. Someone stated that there are larger veranda on some ?B3 category rooms on Riviera? Anyone have more details about this?

If you look on the deck plan for deck 7 you will see where the deck bumps out more those are the extended balconies

7108 to 7131 & forward 7000 to 7009

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/deck-plans/

Lyn

Oh Lyn, we LOVED this cruise and we will be back on board Riviera in less than a month. Nothing more wonderful than sitting out on the balcony and listening to the sea and looking at the beautiful blue ocean.

Oh Lyn, we LOVED this cruise and we will be back on board Riviera in less than a month. Nothing more wonderful than sitting out on the balcony and listening to the sea and looking at the beautiful blue ocean.

I am glad you enjoyed it I know you were concerned before the cruise

Lyn

If you look on the deck plan for deck 7 you will see where the deck bumps out more those are the extended balconies

7108 to 7131 & forward 7000 to 7009

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/deck-plans/

Thanks to earlier posts about the extended balconies, I was able to get one for our upcoming cruise. I'm not sure I would have thought about it otherwise--love Cruise Critic for information like this!

We booked 7005, although I debated about 7000 or 7001, wondering if the side towards the bow might provide a nice view--I wasn't sure if there was a solid wall on that side. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Thanks to earlier posts about the extended balconies, I was able to get one for our upcoming cruise. I'm not sure I would have thought about it otherwise--love Cruise Critic for information like this!

We booked 7005, although I debated about 7000 or 7001, wondering if the side towards the bow might provide a nice view--I wasn't sure if there was a solid wall on that side. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Sorry, you won't have much of a view forward, only outwards toward the sea.

Heading forward there are several full height veranda dividers and a block of crew cabins (where the round windows are) in the way.

The blue line runs at the the level of the floor of deck 7

b_112319.jpg

The very crowded veranda in this photo is 7005! ;)

I see that the extended balconies are extremely forward or aft. I have been very seasick in the past during rough waters. While our current cabin location isn't mid-ship, it's not so extremely forward or aft. Of the 2 places with extended veranda space, what does everyone suggest? And is it really even worth the bother?

I see that the extended balconies are extremely forward or aft. I have been very seasick in the past during rough waters. While our current cabin location isn't mid-ship, it's not so extremely forward or aft. Of the 2 places with extended veranda space, what does everyone suggest? And is it really even worth the bother?

I prefer aft while most of the time I do not get seasick if the ship is rising too much I do feel queasy at the bow of the ship

Deep%20Balcony%20deck%207-L.jpg

This is the extended veranda of 7114

chairs%20on%20balcony-L.jpg

The front part by the rail you are overlooked from above

The choice you have to make is do you want more space inside (PH) or outside (extended balcony)

Edited by LHT28

Sorry, you won't have much of a view forward, only outwards toward the sea.

Heading forward there are several full height veranda dividers and a block of crew cabins (where the round windows are) in the way.

The very crowded veranda in this photo is 7005! ;)

Thanks for posting the picture--I appreciate it! I thought getting the middle cabin might be better, and this confirms it for me.

The open railing on 7009 (and 7008, 7111 and 7108) is nice, but then I think you have a bit less veranda space. Those cabins weren't available for our sailing, but it's good to keep in mind for the future.

Thanks for posting the picture--I appreciate it! I thought getting the middle cabin might be better, and this confirms it for me.

The open railing on 7009 (and 7008, 7111 and 7108) is nice, but then I think you have a bit less veranda space. Those cabins weren't available for our sailing, but it's good to keep in mind for the future.

Have MASSIVE verandas larget the PH's... 7008 /7009 are wind sheltered, spray sheltered, 2.3x larger than other verandas...can handle 2 chairs, 2 chase 2 tables...and still have room !!! spent 34 day in one...best ever, no ship motion and one of the best views ever... You have even more than the othe B verandas !!!!!