Transatlantics

jules815

My husband and I have been talking about our transatlantic on Harmony in October. He just added the vacation dates to the company schedule this morning. Flights and hotel in Barcelona booked. This will be our first TA...really excited. (Also our first time on an Oasis class ship!) He was in the Navy in the 70's and Barcelona was one of his favorite ports. He's turning 60 in December, so this is my gift to him. :D

We sail from Barcelona, with two ports at the beginning of the cruise, followed by 9 sea days back to Ft. Lauderdale. When on a TA, do you typically see other cruise ships sailing along with you? I mean, off in the distance like when you're on a Caribbean itinerary?

Edited by jules815

Bob, were your 3 going east, west or some of both? If both ways, which way do you prefer?

All going west.

I like west for two reasons:

I like getting the long, uncomfortable flight out of the way at the start, and not have that hanging over my head the entire cruise.

I like 25 hour days.

We did both the Spring eastbound and Fall westbound between NOLA and Barcelona on Serenade in 2014. The seven 23 hour days on the eastbound was a killer, especially the four close together on the ocean crossing and we much prefer the seven 25 hour days the westbound had. Also the latter was 14 hours longer even though both were 16 night cruises. ;)

The only advantage to eastbound TA is typically they are cheaper. We had a extra large balcony on the eastbound at the exact same cost of an OV on the westbound.

As my signature shows we are doing an westbound TA on Brilliance this year but am still looking at doing the eastbound TA on the same ship if the right price comes along. :D

Edited by robtulipe

My husband and I have been talking about our transatlantic on Harmony in October. He just added the vacation dates to the company schedule this morning. Flights and hotel in Barcelona booked. This will be our first TA...really excited. (Also our first time on an Oasis class ship!) He was in the Navy in the 70's and Barcelona was one of his favorite ports. He's turning 60 in December, so this is my gift to him. :D

We sail from Barcelona, with two ports at the beginning of the cruise, followed by 9 sea days back to Ft. Lauderdale. When on a TA, do you typically see other cruise ships sailing along with you? I mean, off in the distance like when you're on a Caribbean itinerary?

No. We were on a TA last October from Barcelona and did not see any other ships of any kind. A little lonely being in the middle of the sea.

All going west.

I like west for two reasons:

I like getting the long, uncomfortable flight out of the way at the start, and not have that hanging over my head the entire cruise.

I like 25 hour days.

Our thoughts exactly. Coming from the states...we only consider westbound TA's.

I've twice seen other vessels on a TA. Once was a tanker way off in the distance for about 20 minutes. The second was a fairly small sailing dinghy that shadowed us for a day or two, again at a bit if a distance. I suspect the dinghy was keeping in radio distance of us in case of emergency, but didn't want to be too close :)

I vote east. Nice to arrive without jet lag. All of our west bounds and are med cruise, the morning you get there is a total loss. I can live with 5 23 hour days.

Plus better weather leaving FL in April than coming home in November.

Edited by John&LaLa

I vote east. Nice to arrive without jet lag. All of our west bounds and are med cruise, the morning you get there is a total loss. I can live with 5 23 hour days.

Plus better weather leaving FL in April than coming home in November.

Only takes us one day to get over jet lag. Plus, different point of view if you're not from Florida. Weather in Med, Atlantic, and Florida is MUCH better than home in October.:)

Edited by clarea

Only takes us one day to get over jet lag. Plus, different point of view if you're not from Florida. Weather in Med, Atlantic, and Florida is MUCH better than home in October.:)

See your point about weather, perspective is everything. To bad no more Concorde. No jet lag on east bound

See your point about weather, perspective is everything. To bad no more Concorde. No jet lag on east bound

We usually arrive in Barcelona around 9am. We've found that if limit ourselves to a short (1 hour or so) nap that day, and stay up at least until 9pm, we have no jet lag the next day.

We usually arrive in Barcelona around 9am. We've found that if limit ourselves to a short (1 hour or so) nap that day, and stay up at least until 9pm, we have no jet lag the next day.

First trip into Barcelona fell asleep on the HOHO bus, plus it was drugging cold. Couldn't stay on the upper deck. Second time Laura just crashed the day in the hotel, after waiting in lobby for several hours.

Contrast that with arriving in Rome fresh off the boat and spending entire day wandering the Parthenon, Trevi Fountain, Forum, and Colliseum.

First trip into Barcelona fell asleep on the HOHO bus, plus it was drugging cold. Couldn't stay on the upper deck. Second time Laura just crashed the day in the hotel, after waiting in lobby for several hours.

Contrast that with arriving in Rome fresh off the boat and spending entire day wandering the Parthenon, Trevi Fountain, Forum, and Colliseum.

I think I'd need another vacation after that day.;)

Next day was Vatican museum, get there early, St Peter's, Spanish Steps, Gucci store, and some big square that sells counterfeit stuff.

Flew home next day

Remind me never to vacation with you. I'm exhausted.