Do you sleep with your cabin balcony door open?

lolalita

Not sure why it wouldn't be safe ???

A couple things ..... the A/C will automatically turn off when the door is open, so depending on your temps and humidity, it could get a little warm. Also, as the ship rocks, the door tends to slide back and forth.

I've never heard that it's against the rules. We sleep with the balcony door open and love it! The sound of the waves crashing against the ship and the feel of the breeze is wonderful! If you are a light sleeper, be aware that you may hear some noise - people talking/laughing/playing music on their balconies or any announcements that come over the loud speaker in the middle of the night. This hasn't bothered us at all.

What ??? :confused: :confused: Never heard this one! Who's rules, and where is this stated?

It's generally posted somewhere on or near the balcony door itself that the door should not be left open.

As for safety . . . it can be a hazard if the ship is going through a storm. It also can be a little hazardous if you happen to open your cabin door, while the balcony door is open. You can get a very strong breeze, which can either slam the door back closed on you or blow papers or other light items out to sea, depending upon the direction of the flow.

Generally not a good idea to leave the balcony door open, but these threads pop up from time to time, and there are always a certain number of people who have the attitude of, "I'll do whatever I want to do in MY cabin."

Unless there is some major waves tipping the boat, you're pretty safe with the balcony doors opened. Just remember that the AC will turn off with the doors opened. If you're still a little nervous, open the door about 1/2 foot the first night and see how it goes. :)

That's prety cool! I guess it would be less cool if the falcon managed to fly into your cabin, though. I thought about that as a possible concern w/ a balcony door left open, but have never actually heard of someone having a bird fly into their room.

That's prety cool! I guess it would be less cool if the falcon managed to fly into your cabin, though. I thought about that as a possible concern w/ a balcony door left open, but have never actually heard of someone having a bird fly into their room.

I knew I remembered reading about that happening. Here you go.:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=645345&highlight=bird+flew+in+cabin

Here are the old signs. There was a newer, more strongly-worded one on the Navigator last month, but I forgot to take a picture. :o

2024130740077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

2954548770077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Im sorry but just curious why would you take a photo of a sign in your cabin

Cruise Critic regulars often take pictures of lots of such things, because it helps answer questions here with something other than just a "he said/she said" kind of response. A picture is worth a thousand words and all that . . .

Unless there is some major waves tipping the boat, you're pretty safe with the balcony doors opened. Just remember that the AC will turn off with the doors opened. If you're still a little nervous, open the door about 1/2 foot the first night and see how it goes. :)

My understanding is that the various cruise lines RECOMMEND not to leave the sliding door open at night ... it makes the air conditioning units work harder, as an example, and can create one hell of a "suction" (for lack of a better word) that can cause the door to your cabin to open somewhat spontaneously ... as well as create a rather interesting "whistle" in the hallways, which can be somewhat annoying to other guests on your floor.

The above not withstanding ... On our (wife and myself) first cruise (2002 Brilliance), we tried leaving the sliding door open one evening. Positive: The sound of the ship gliding through the water was intoxicating. Negative: It got too humid in our cabin, and was not comfortable *For Us*. Since then, we've kept the door shut at night.

Michael

For one thing, when you tell someone on CC about it later - and they accuse you of just starting "rumors" (thinking about a certain "new levels" signage in the terminals) - you can show them it is fact, not rumor...... :D

The reason I take lots of "weird" photos on board the ships is to answer questions in threads like this one. :D

Cruise Critic regulars often take pictures of lots of such things, because it helps answer questions here with something other than just a "he said/she said" kind of response. A picture is worth a thousand words and all that . . .

For one thing, when you tell someone on CC about it later - and they accuse you of just starting "rumors" (thinking about a certain "new levels" signage in the terminals) - you can show them it is fact, not rumor...... :D

Yes.............but I thought that the reason was obvious! ;) :D

I can understand why she took the picture. She is a frequent poster and I'm sure this question comes up on somewhat regular basis. Just like above where someone asked, "where is that rule posted?" Now we have the answer. I think it's helpful to not only answer questions but to have photographic answers. :)

Archived