If you've done Quest Holiday Antarctica, I have questions

zelker

Hoping for some feedback from those who have actually done the holiday itinerary on the Quest:

• How many formal nights were there and other than the second night which appears to be the Captain's Gala, do you remember which nights they were?

• Since this is an expedition cruise, did you find people generally dressed more casually in the evenings? e.g., could we get away with wearing nice jeans with a sweater or collared shirt for dinner on non-formal evenings in venues other than the Restaurant? or since it falls over Xmas/New Years, did people tend to dress up even more for both dress codes?

• Were there things you didn't bring that you wish you had?

• Conversely, were there things you brought that you didn't need?

• Did the indoor temperature tend to feel any cooler once you left mainland South America?

--------

Thanks!

Barb

We did the Holiday Antarctica 2014/15 on Quest - it was so memorable, I think about it daily. I recall a couple of formal nights per week, On Christmas Eve, Night and New Years Eve most guests were dressed up for the occasion. There were quite a few evening gowns and handsome tuxedos. Most men dressed in dressy trousers, collared shirts and dressy jackets. Ties are optional even on formal nights.

Jeans are not seen in the Restaurant or Restaurant 2 in the evenings but certainly around the Pool Grill and in the Colanade it is common.

I felt we brought along too many expedition/Antarctic clothing, I basically bought what was recommended from the expedition clothing outfitters mentioned on the Seabourn site. We did not require that many layers of clothing for warmth while ashore. Mind you it can of course get colder than we experienced. You are really only in those clothes for maybe three hours maximum per day, so they dont get dirty really (except maybe for a bit of penquin poop).

The indoor temperature onboard is perfect, we found using the black puffy jacket that Seabourn supplied was great when moving around the ship, if you had to go on the open decks. I recall two very cold sleety days when the cold was a challenge but once inside it is all so cosy. I loved when we stayed outside on the pool deck and we were spoiled with heaters and cosy blankets and hot toddies or irish coffee. It was fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. My husband and I did the holiday cruise in December 2013-January 2014. There were three black-tie-optional nights on that voyage: the second night, Christmas night (December 26) , and New Year's Eve (12/31). My impression was that, in the Main Dining Room, about 1/3 of the male passengers wore black tie on formal-optional nights, and the rest wore dark suits and ties.

At least on that voyage, the published dress code was enforced in the MDR. The outdoor (more casual) dining options will be limited as you get further south and approach Antarctica. Opportunities for dining on your veranda will be limited as well as the ship moves further south and the weather gets cold and/or windy.

Re things we wished we'd brought: trekking poles were listed as optional when we took our voyage. I highly recommend them (one pair per passenger). They're very helpful if you need to walk over slippery/uneven snow pack. You can get poles that telescope for easy packing.

Our holiday voyage to Antarctica and South Georgia Island was magical. I hope yours will be as well!

As to how many formal nights there were and what nights they were, I’ll get back to you: I’m going again this time and so I need to have a look at the material I kept from last year anyway: but I think there were three. I’ll confirm.

As for being ‘an expedtion cruise’ and your wish to wear, basically, what you can get away with: The Dining Room is policed or is not policed according to who the Maitre D' is, but jeans are never going to be permitted at dinner. No way. Go to the Colonnade. I’ve never been there for dinner but I think you could dress-down as much as you know how. It has been said, however, that one can do the same thing at home, whenever.

As for things I wished I’d brought but didn’t bring, the only thing I’m taking extra this time is a beaut pair of v.small waterproof Nikon 8X21's and their neck-strap I just bought in Tokyo for $50 for use in the kayak. And, as for what other people might have brought with them, you’re right: it is “an expedition cruise’, not a ‘fun’ cruise, and the rest of your fellow expeditioners will be mainly obsessed with using their very long lens and thinking during dinner that the time with you is time away from it/them, and the photos. That’s why they’re there. So, will dinner-time be the same hoot as on an LA-to-Sydney across the Pacific Cruise? Unlikely, very. But, then again, I wasn’t with the “I came on board to see how much I can dress down crowd”: you guys might be lots of fun, and so perhaps it might be best if I bought and brought some jeans this time, just once.

The thing I brought which I didn’t need: yes, the old SOH got a bit of a holiday onboard and so, if you’ve got one of those, there’s really no need to bring it with you.

I think the airconditioning is thermostat controlled.

I'm there for the Penquins.

Edited by Alipius

On our Antarctica cruise my daughter wore jeans in the MDR on 2 evenings...

Now these jeans were very classy, bright yellow with small embroidered daschunds on them. They were also worn with a very nice shirt.... And high heels Both times were casual nights... The maitre d took one look on the first attempt and went hmmmm... They are very nice slacks.... As we walked across the room we noted that there were several ladies in stretch slacks... Miss W was actually way more dressed... We were ready to be sent away but basically the maitre d later explained the fact they were coloured and had embroidery and were very dressed up allowed them through especially as nowhere on the dress code said no stretch slacks.

She would never have considered (nor would she have been allowed ) to wear denims or plain jeans...

Edited by MrsWaldo

As for being ‘an expedtion cruise’ and your wish to wear, basically, what you can get away with: The Dining Room is policed or is not policed according to who the Maitre D' is, but jeans are never going to be permitted at dinner. No way. Go to the Colonnade. I’ve never been there for dinner but I think you could dress-down as much as you know how. It has been said, however, that one can do the same thing at home, whenever.

As for things I wished I’d brought but didn’t bring, the only thing I’m taking extra this time is a beaut pair of v.small waterproof Nikon 8X21's and their neck-strap I just bought in Tokyo for $50 for use in the kayak. And, as for what other people might have brought with them, you’re right: it is “an expedition cruise’, not a ‘fun’ cruise, and the rest of your fellow expeditioners will be mainly obsessed with using their very long lens and thinking during dinner that the time with you is time away from it/them, and the photos. That’s why they’re there. So, will dinner-time be the same hoot as on an LA-to-Sydney across the Pacific Cruise? Unlikely, very. But, then again, I wasn’t with the “I came on board to see how much I can dress down crowd”: you guys might be lots of fun, and so perhaps it might be best if I bought and brought some jeans this time, just once.

My god, I hope the majority of Seabourn guests aren't as pretentious as you appear to be. If you read my original post, I asked if it was acceptable to wear nice jeans with collared shirts or sweaters in venues OTHER THAN the Restaurant on NON-FORMAL nights and you immediately lump us into a "dress down crowd", whatever the heck THAT is and assume that we're trying to get away with wearing whatever we want! :mad: From your attitude and comments, I think the fact that you don't own a pair of jeans and think you might need to "try it once" speaks volumes about who you are ... my advise - don't bother. I'm sure the "I came on board to see how much I can dress down" crowd would prefer you didn't try to fit in. (OMG, I can't even believe you wrote such dribble on a public forum!! :confused:)

I'm sure most people are there for the wildlife and can't for the life of me figure out why you would comment about - or CARE - what people discuss at dinner or if they are in a hurry to get back outside to take photos and watch wildlife because after all, isn't that the main event of this itinerary? It is for us.

If you're looking for "fun" cruises and dinners that are "a hoot", why don't you sail on Carnival? I hear that's the experience they provide. :p

Hello. My husband and I did the holiday cruise in December 2013-January 2014. There were three black-tie-optional nights on that voyage: the second night, Christmas night (December 26) , and New Year's Eve (12/31). My impression was that, in the Main Dining Room, about 1/3 of the male passengers wore black tie on formal-optional nights, and the rest wore dark suits and ties.

At least on that voyage, the published dress code was enforced in the MDR. The outdoor (more casual) dining options will be limited as you get further south and approach Antarctica. Opportunities for dining on your veranda will be limited as well as the ship moves further south and the weather gets cold and/or windy.

Re things we wished we'd brought: trekking poles were listed as optional when we took our voyage. I highly recommend them (one pair per passenger). They're very helpful if you need to walk over slippery/uneven snow pack. You can get poles that telescope for easy packing.

Our holiday voyage to Antarctica and South Georgia Island was magical. I hope yours will be as well!

Thanks so much for this useful feedback. We kind of figured those would be the three formal nights so am glad you confirmed it. We'll pack for three and if by some chance the captain adds a fourth formal night, we'll just have to wear something a second time and hope that the "fashion police" won't be out patrolling and ticket us for re-wearing clothes! :rolleyes: Will have plenty of "dress code appropriate" clothes (formal and casual) for any evenings we eat in the MDR so we're good to go there. Thanks for the heads up re: not counting on the outdoor dining venues being available as we get further south (makes sense they will be weather-dependent) so will plan accordingly although the thought of eating outside while taking in the views certainly holds an appeal - cold or not! Coming from Colorado, we're quite used to that.

Good to know that you think trekking poles would be useful as I just bought a telescoping pair for myself. However, DH says he doesn't think he needs them so if he slips, I guess I can say "I told you so!" LOL

Love that you used the word "magical" to describe your trip ... that's exactly the experience we're hoping for!

Thanks again!

Why does everybody ask if you can get away with jeans

The rules are pretty clear?

Because if you spend $5000 on them, or dye them a different color or add a cargo container of rhinestones they are somehow no longer jeans;)

/I don't understand it. Jeans are jeans regardless of color or whats been sewn in or torn out or how much they cost.

How do you define jeans?

I call my sons chinos, jeans...

they are a medium weight cotton twill, have a zipper and belt loops... never had a question about wearing chinos.... and never a look when he wore them to dinner, along with a lot of the other younger men....

what makes them a chino and not a jean? (IMHO they are just a type of jean)

Maybe the dress code should exclude any cotton twill pants :D

(and tracksuit pants, because these were effectively what the stretch slacks were... elastic waisted, knit)

IMHO track pants are way less dressy than a nice pair of twill pants.. (and at 19 there was no way my daughter was going to go out in "track pants"..... I think all her pants would come under the loose heading of jeans...)

Edited by MrsWaldo

You know that when you use “can I get away with (wearing jeans)?”, you are wanting to take liberties: liberties involving other people’s enjoyment of the night: especially those who may be taken to join your table and who have dressed well to please not just themselves but with respect to the others in the Room (and who have hauled it all the way half-way around the globe to do so!).

You know that when you use “can I get away with (wearing jeans)?”, you are wanting to take liberties: liberties involving other people’s enjoyment of the night: especially those who may be taken to join your table and who have dressed well to please not just themselves but with respect to the others in the Room (and who have hauled it all the way half-way around the globe to do so!).

So 100 kg of luggage is unaccpetable??? We had fully formal gear for necessary auch nights and seriously...

Oh so you would rather we walked in wearing tracksuit pants that meet the dress code

Given We may or may not have be Sitting with others.....

How about If I wear formal clothes that have not been washed for 3 weeks... And worn in hot weather ... Nice odour but I meet the dress code

Seriously.

You don't what was worn nor how it looked..... There were people in clothing more suitable to Kmart but it met the dressscode ....

Edited by MrsWaldo

Does your life revolve around what other people are wearing?

Firstly I need to apologise...

After some discussion with Miss W last night, the "jeans" to which I referred were actually pants according to the swing tag. Perhaps she should keep the slip of cardboard with its spare thread and button in her pocket to show any clothing police in the MDR.

(Miss W always has difficulty accessing her account)

I was also wrong on the subject of track suit pants... apparently the pants worn were "yoga pants" this is a perfect example of how clothing can be construed to have a label that may not actually be the right one.

Alipius...

Never fear I would not be offended if you refused to have us join you.... I may in fact be delighted....I don't believe "clothes maketh the man" We enjoy intelligent and informed dinner conversations that are educational and enlightening. We are not into celebrity adulation or "label loving".

I do believe in dress codes (strongly) but I also believe that some codes have gaping holes, after all... what is a thong ;)

IMO jeans = blue denim. For the life of me I don't understand why people get so upset by what other people are wearing. Surely good dinner companions are the ones with interesting conversation. I have seen people "dressed to the nines" and IMO look appalling, do I care? Not at all. Clothes should be clean, end of story!

Firstly I need to apologise...

After some discussion with Miss W last night, the "jeans" to which I referred were actually pants according to the swing tag. Perhaps she should keep the slip of cardboard with its spare thread and button in her pocket to show any clothing police in the MDR.

(Miss W always has difficulty accessing her account)

I was also wrong on the subject of track suit pants... apparently the pants worn were "yoga pants" this is a perfect example of how clothing can be construed to have a label that may not actually be the right one.

Alipius...

Never fear I would not be offended if you refused to have us join you.... I may in fact be delighted....I don't believe "clothes maketh the man" We enjoy intelligent and informed dinner conversations that are educational and enlightening. We are not into celebrity adulation or "label loving".

I do believe in dress codes (strongly) but I also believe that some codes have gaping holes, after all... what is a thong ;)

A 'thong' is the material that was in the gaping hole.

IMO jeans = blue denim. For the life of me I don't understand why people get so upset by what other people are wearing. Surely good dinner companions are the ones with interesting conversation. I have seen people "dressed to the nines" and IMO look appalling, do I care? Not at all. Clothes should be clean, end of story!

Jeans can be a variety of colors.

The problem with what some people wear is that its entirely inappropriate. Like sweat stained exercise clothes reeking of sweaty BO inappropriate.

/Thank you people that go straight from the gym to the restaurant - thankfully not seen on Seabourn. Yet. Sadly on other lines it was fairly common.

I have seen people go from the gym straight to the Club on the big ship. One person was a guest performer who wanted to watch the pre dinner show. Really not appropriate but I am less and less surprised how people think they can push the boundaries of very clear rules or are the exception to the rules. As to jeans, the conventional definition is a hard wear denim , double stitched pair of slacks with a distinctive five pocket style. Today that style is often seen in denim of many colors. I imagine the reason for their specific prohibition is that unlike khakis or chinos ( or other casual slacks) they can be anywhere on the spectrum from a new dressy, dark wash pair to a torn, faded and distressed pair.

Thats the point...

LOL I was behind 2 young backpacker girls in FNQ

The restaurant in a surf club had a dress code.... "No Thongs"

One said to the other "How is anyone going to know? It's not like they can ask to look!"

Clearly they weren't only ones... the sign now says No Thongs/Flip Flops

:D:D

Did you make actual landings from zodiacs and were you able to explore the immediate area or were you restricted from going ashore?

We landed a total of 5 times from zodiacs and spent about 75 mins ashore each time. There were some restrictions ashore so as not to disturb the nesting penguins.

Because if you spend $5000 on them, or dye them a different color or add a cargo container of rhinestones they are somehow no longer jeans;)

/I don't understand it. Jeans are jeans regardless of color or whats been sewn in or torn out or how much they cost.

Both Tilley's and your response get consistently tiresome, perhaps try adding some helpful insight to this forum for a change.

Edited by Sunprince