European plug adaptor

Jarronwood

Hi everyone

Can someone please advise how many euro plug sockets there are on or near the dressing table in the veranda staterooms? Just that I was thinking of buying one of the 4 plug adaptors from Amazon as both my husband and I will need to charge our phones, our kindles plus need a socket for my hairdryer and GHDs and I was wondering whether I need to buy the adaptor.

I am no electrician but from past experience when using USA sockets and European sockets with my UK english appliances I seem to get a better strength of electricity (or whatever it is called) when plugged into the European sockets.

It is me or is there some reason why?

Hi everyone

Can someone please advise how many euro plug sockets there are on or near the dressing table in the veranda staterooms? Just that I was thinking of buying one of the 4 plug adaptors from Amazon as both my husband and I will need to charge our phones, our kindles plus need a socket for my hairdryer and GHDs and I was wondering whether I need to buy the adaptor.

I am no electrician but from past experience when using USA sockets and European sockets with my UK english appliances I seem to get a better strength of electricity (or whatever it is called) when plugged into the European sockets.

It is me or is there some reason why?

0d652acbf549057bb119f994c6d8f467.jpg

This is a photo I took in our cabin, 7044, on Quest last year. I included lots of info in a thread named 'Azamara Quest Photos'.

Not sure if you are travelling before the refurbishment, & if this configuration changes. I know that they have GPO at the bedside after the refurbishment.

Hope this helps...

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Edited by KazLoudspeaker

In regards to your seeming lack of power using an American socket. that is because European plugs are 220/240 Volts while US sockets are 110/115 volts.

Your European only electrical products are designed for 220 volts or so and when only putting in 110 or so volts they are not getting their optimum voltage. That said, most electronics used today operate on either voltage so should work equally well in either socket.

You need to look on the label of the item you are plugging in to determine if it is a 110V, 220V or dual voltage item and plug it into the appropriate socket.

Hope this semi technical explanation helps. By the way, it is probably your hair dryer that is having the problems as they are most likely not dual voltage. If I were to plug a US hair dryer into a Euro socket, it would destroy the dryer due to the too high voltage.

By the way, what is GHD or GPO???

In regards to your seeming lack of power using an American socket. that is because European plugs are 220/240 Volts while US sockets are 110/115 volts.

Your European only electrical products are designed for 220 volts or so and when only putting in 110 or so volts they are not getting their optimum voltage. That said, most electronics used today operate on either voltage so should work equally well in either socket.

You need to look on the label of the item you are plugging in to determine if it is a 110V, 220V or dual voltage item and plug it into the appropriate socket.

Hope this semi technical explanation helps. By the way, it is probably your hair dryer that is having the problems as they are most likely not dual voltage. If I were to plug a US hair dryer into a Euro socket, it would destroy the dryer due to the too high voltage.

GHD's are Good Hair Day Straighteners. I wouldn't be without them otherwise my hair will be like one big ginger fluffball.

No idea what GPO is though.

0d652acbf549057bb119f994c6d8f467.jpg

This is a photo I took in our cabin, 7044, on Quest last year. I included lots of info in a thread named 'Azamara Quest Photos'.

Not sure if you are travelling before the refurbishment, & if this configuration changes. I know that they have GPO at the bedside after the refurbishment.

Hope this helps...

Karyn

Hi Karyn

You very kindly posted your stateroom pictures for me after I said we were in 7044 (long story short, they actually cancelled our particular cruise and we are now on one before the Re-fit beginning of March - Asian Kalidiscope (sp).

But now looking at the layout I will buy the 4 plug adaptor and can charge everything on the floor leaving the desk space pretty much clear.

Ah yeah, remember the name now. Hope you have a terrific time. Just be aware when they service your room they like to pull out everything that is plugged in, which is very annoying if you are charging camera batteries/phones for the day whilst you are at breakfast. I took a small pad of post it notes with me & placed a note on the charger when this was the case.

Karyn

I use one of these when on the Quest/Journey - provides two USB outputs for iPhone/Ipad/Camera etc http://www.amazon.co.uk/eBoot-Universal-International-Adapter-Conversion/dp/B00KT17TZ4/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1448136040&sr=8-20&keywords=4+way+travel+plug+adaptor

keeps trailing leads to a minimum and the other 240v socket can be used with a normal adaptor.

I try not to use the US style ones, the voltage is too low and my US to UK adaptor falls out!

GPO is General Power Outlet or something like that. Meaning powerpoint as we would call it in Australia.

Sorry for the confusion.

Karyn

I use one of these when on the Quest/Journey - provides two USB outputs for iPhone/Ipad/Camera etc http://www.amazon.co.uk/eBoot-Universal-International-Adapter-Conversion/dp/B00KT17TZ4/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1448136040&sr=8-20&keywords=4+way+travel+plug+adaptor

keeps trailing leads to a minimum and the other 240v socket can be used with a normal adaptor.

I try not to use the US style ones, the voltage is too low and my US to UK adaptor falls out!

That looks really good. I see it has 2 USB ports but how many plug sockets does it have?

Thanks

Ah yeah, remember the name now. Hope you have a terrific time. Just be aware when they service your room they like to pull out everything that is plugged in, which is very annoying if you are charging camera batteries/phones for the day whilst you are at breakfast. I took a small pad of post it notes with me & placed a note on the charger when this was the case.

Karyn

Never had anything unplugged by a room steward.

Never had anything unplugged by a room steward.

Neither have we.

But we always mention that we are using a number of chargers. Although on our last cruise the butler was clearly surprised that I mentioned it.

The only discussion I've seen about this issue has been on the Celebrity forum where the issue encompassed whether it was appropriate to use an item that includes surge suppression. The general sense was that you shouldn't

Are there other plug sockets in the room? Have in mind using them if there are and leaving the desk pretty much clutter free of charging phones and kindles and just using the desk one for my hairdryer and GHD.

Not really unless you scramble under the bed and take out the plug to the bedside light(s). I do this one side to plug in my docking station and have it on the bedside cabinet.

Phil