Weather Alert for Cruise this weekend in Alaska?

FunShipCruiser05

:cool:

Possibly... We lost power for a couple days with the last one but they have said this one won't be so bad. The mountains make it worse so I would think the water wouldn't be as bad.

I'm curious to see the path the ship goes... as it looks like this storm will emcompass the anchorage bowl and the turnagin arm... That will suck for a bumpy ride out to sea saturday but once leave that , its smooth sailing from there hopefully as would be ahead of the storm even if it goes in the same direction as the ship.

In my neck of the world, 80-100mph winds is a hurricane. I guess alaska weather is really different, as this is not a hurricane :eek:

:cool:

In my neck of the world, 80-100mph winds is a hurricane. I guess alaska weather is really different, as this is not a hurricane :eek:

They are hurricane force, no doubt about it. But, as was explained to us-this is not the first time we have had such storms-the storm winds are not cyclonic around a defined eye.

So the weatherpersons tell me.

They are hurricane force, no doubt about it. But, as was explained to us-this is not the first time we have had such storms-the storm winds are not cyclonic around a defined eye.

So the weatherpersons tell me.

I know that, it would be just weird for me seeing those kind of winds and the storm not being a "hurricane"

The rain has started here in Anchorage this morning and it's coming down pretty good.

Winds starting tomorrow night into Sunday and for in town they are talking 40 to 50 mph now. Up on the hill they're talking up to 60 mid way and 90 upper.

Thing is this storm is going to cover a lot of Alaska like it did last week.

So, we'll be battening down the hatches once again this weekend!

Susan in Anchorage :)

The rain has started here in Anchorage this morning and it's coming down pretty good.

Winds starting tomorrow night into Sunday and for in town they are talking 40 to 50 mph now. Up on the hill they're talking up to 60 mid way and 90 upper.

Thing is this storm is going to cover a lot of Alaska like it did last week.

So, we'll be battening down the hatches once again this weekend!

No rain here yet. Just nasty looking outside. Hopefully it's not as bad as last weeks.

No rain here yet. Just nasty looking outside. Hopefully it's not as bad as last weeks.

Okay, where are you in town? Because I'm sitting here watching it rain out my window (it's actually dripping off the roof) in the Lake Otis & Tudor area and it was raining at my house at the 76th and Arctic area, when I left this morning.

Okay, where are you in town? Because I'm sitting here watching it rain out my window (it's actually dripping off the roof) in the Lake Otis & Tudor area and it was raining at my house at the 76th and Arctic area, when I left this morning.

I don't know how it is in Anchorage, but I live in Clermont, FL, approximately 30 miles from Walt Disney World. It will be storming at WDW, while we don't see a drop of rain - and this is not unusual. We live in North Clermont. South Clermont is 17 miles away and will also experience stormy weather while we don't. :confused:

So, when we get bad weather, you can imagine what the surrounding areas are getting. :eek:

I don't know how it is in Anchorage, but I live in Clermont, FL, approximately 30 miles from Walt Disney World. It will be storming at WDW, while we don't see a drop of rain - and this is not unusual. We live in North Clermont. South Clermont is 17 miles away and will also experience stormy weather while we don't. :confused:

So, when we get bad weather, you can imagine what the surrounding areas are getting. :eek:

Here we're surrounded by 3 sides mountains and one side water, and with the way the weather is sitting right now, it's raining from the mountain tops down. Now, if they live in Eagle River or Girdwood, which are on the other side of the mountains, it may be quiet!

Those in Anchorage have my sympathy. However, in Fairbanks the day has been beautiful. Very cool this morning, but then a glorious sunny fall day. However from our house on Chena Ridge you can see a dark band of clouds over the Alaska Range. Our weather forecast doesn't call for rain but given those clouds you can't help but wonder ................

Well, they're a little off of when the winds are suppose to start, as, they have started now at about 2 p.m. Unfortunately, they revised the numbers and we are looking at 50 top 60 mph here in town and up to 75 to 80 mid hillside and then up to possibility of 110 upper hillside.

Been out taking down windchimes, reinforcing the fence, and the barbecue will be residing in the living room tonight, as the dang wind likes to push it off the deck and I mean clear across and town two steps :D

Well, the wind warning is now only through 8 tonight, but, now we're under a flood warning because it's been raining basically since Friday and pretty hard at times.

Actually, just a little after noon they extended the flood warning, besides the Anchorage bowl, the Mat-Su borough, the Kenai Peninsula, and all the way to Fairbanks. Seems this latest episode is covering lots of the state.

• Administrators

The Sapphire Princess delayed her departure from Whittier overnight due to this weather system and will miss Glacier Bay this week -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1707109 Sounds as if it could be a rocky trip the first day or so, too! I hope all onboard are able to enjoy their cruise despite the weather.

Archived