Transportation to and from the Cruise Port.

hoosierdaddy10

My wife and I are on the 3 night sampler. We will be staying in Manhattan for three nights prior to our sailing. What is the best way to get to the Ship from Midtown Manhattan and then from the ship to Laguardia airport. We were thinking about renting a car on the last day and driving to a few places out side Manhattan and then dropping the car off at the airport. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

For our December 1st cruise, we have made a reservation with Carmel (which we have used in the past) for a driver - cost from Midtown (Murray Hill) to the port for 3 people is $61 exclusive of tolls and tip.

im on the same cruise as @kccrzr

to be honest - i researched all the options

private car

public transport

close hotels

etc

i found the best is private car from manhattan.

Yes you can get the public transport but do you really want to be lugging luggage in the possible snow via public tranport - it also opens you up to trouble should someone wish to take advantage of you as a tourist.

yes its more expensive - but sometimes saving the money costs more...

im on the same cruise as @kccrzr

to be honest - i researched all the options

private car

public transport

close hotels

etc

i found the best is private car from manhattan.

Yes you can get the public transport but do you really want to be lugging luggage in the possible snow via public tranport - it also opens you up to trouble should someone wish to take advantage of you as a tourist.

yes its more expensive - but sometimes saving the money costs more...

Uber!

My wife and I are also on 12/1/14 cruise. Made arrangements with Carmel to pick up at EWR to go to midtown for a couple of days and then from hotel to cruise port.

Easy to work with.

Tried Black Executive Cars suggested by someone else but wasn't able to get good phone connection plus was kind of turned off when they answered the phone with "Hello" versus identifying themselves with the company name as any good/smart business does.

Uber!

I'm going to be using Uber when I travel from Manhattan to Cape Liberty in Dec. after all the research it seemed the easiest and most hassle free option

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When ordering a car to pick up from mid or lower Manhattan to Cape Liberty, how much time have you or think should be reserved between pick-up time and ship's depart time? My cruise next spring leaves 17:00 and was told to order the pick-no later than 12:00. Is that an overkill? Thanks.

I'm going to be using Uber when I travel from Manhattan to Cape Liberty in Dec. after all the research it seemed the easiest and most hassle free option

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you should get some more opinions on using Uber from Manhattan to Cape Liberty. One of the reasons we recommend car services is that they actually know where Cape Liberty is located (Bayonne, NJ) and how to get there. I would certainly have printed directions with me and familiarize yourself with the route before hand. Here are the directions from Exit 14A of the NJ Turnoike.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is not 100% reliable in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

When ordering a car to pick up from mid or lower Manhattan to Cape Liberty, how much time have you or think should be reserved between pick-up time and ship's depart time? My cruise next spring leaves 17:00 and was told to order the pick-no later than 12:00. Is that an overkill? Thanks.

Drop dead checkin time would be 3:30 pm. But it's NYC and traffic can be screwed up anywhere anytime. I wouldn't push it past 1:30 pm.

But remember it's the Quantum! Why wouldn't you want to board her early and have time to find your way around and not feel rushed from due to a late boarding. I know it's a TA and there will be lots of time, but the reality is that if you miss the ship, you miss the entire cruise so I wouldn't screw around with it if you are already in downtown Manhattan.

just a reminder about Uber they have something called surge pricing...which can be`up to 10 times standard pricing. a yellow cab from the pier will be about $40 per car depending on traffic or the way they go..this from the Manhattan cruise terminal to lga

Edited by smeyer418

Drop dead checkin time would be 3:30 pm. But it's NYC and traffic can be screwed up anywhere anytime. I wouldn't push it past 1:30 pm.

But remember it's the Quantum! Why wouldn't you want to board her early and have time to find your way around and not feel rushed from due to a late boarding. I know it's a TA and there will be lots of time, but the reality is that if you miss the ship, you miss the entire cruise so I wouldn't screw around with it if you are already in downtown Manhattan.

Thank you Carol. I want to be safe, especially since plenty is invested in the cruise. Never been to NYC, but I can imagine that traffic can get very ugly and there's nothing more frustrating than sitting in a jam and thinking whether you'll make it. Cape Liberty is upgraded and like you said, it's the Quantum (not a ferry between Helsinki and Stockholm/Tallinn)! :)