QotS - December 1st sailing

the guy reported diarrhea, so what did he do? he went to the toilet - which then tells me the virus is in the sewer system the moment he flushed it - and who do you think will pick up the virus next? the rats and where do the rats go? into restaurants where the food is, and onto the streets.

The guy was also sweating on the subway, bowling ally, taxi cabs.

The guy must of been paying for all these things - how about cash right?! the sweat from his hands would have gotten onto the cab drivers hands and possibly passed it onto him that what?

He didn't start getting gastrointestinal symptoms until Saturday, after he was isolated in the hospital.

The virus isn't present in sweat until the advanced stages of the disease, and certainly not before he had a fever (remember, he didn't have a fever before going to bed but woke up with one). He wasn't sweating the virus around the city. Also he used Uber, not a taxi, so his payment would've been done from his smartphone and he never would've handed the driver any cash.

Edited by ahecht

@ahecht

Thanks for the update...

well i hope that all goes well but

there has been a suspected second case of Ebola in NYC

http://nypost.com/2014/10/27/5-year-old-boy-being-tested-for-ebola-in-new-york-city/

my concern is, will it be spreading through the plumbing / sewer system?

i mean think about it, if the virus gets into the sewer system - could it spread?

i did some more research and this seems to satisfy me for the moment

http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/1052541/critical-things-we-learned-from-reddits-ama-on-ebola-in-the-us

6. Ebola can only survive in humans

A microbiologist points out that as far as we know the U.S. does not have a "reservoir" of the disease, meaning a place or animal where the virus survives outside of humans. This means we can only catch it from another infected person and then only through contact with bodily fluids. It does not spread through sneezing, coughing or breathing. Plus, people are only contagious when they're showing symptoms of the virus.

7. Ebola might survive in water and sewers, but not for long

A professor of biophysics and microbiology confirmed that it cannot and will not spread through sewer systems. "Enveloped viruses like Ebola are not hardy enough to survive in the sewer system. In addition to their fragility, there is a tremendous dilution factor. The available evidence supports the idea that infection is only by direct contact with body fluids of an infected person."

Another scientist answers a concern about septic systems saying Ebola isn't "THAT receptive to the environment," but it wouldn't survive long in lakes or septic tanks and he/she stands firm that Ebola can only be contracted through direct contact with bodily fluids.

wonderful news!

the 5 year old tested negative to ebola! - give thanks!

http://nypost.com/2014/10/27/5-year-old-nyc-boy-tests-negative-for-ebola/

well it has eased my fears alot about going to new york...

because i really really want to enjoy myself while i am there and not have to worry about it :D

special thanks to those that have been rational during this :D

does anyone know a good/quiet spot to watch the macy's day parade on the 27th?

im currently planning a position about 59th st/columnbus circle at the end of the park...

would someone suggest a better spot if they know of one?

i know its probably impossible, but a less crowded spot if possible.....

Since inception, RCI ships have had the signature VCL on the top level of the ship (with 360 deg view of the seas). It was an easy way distinguish an RCI ship. Its use, or lack therof, depended on ship and clientele.

Quantum is the first ship to not have one, by design. You won't miss it as the Quantum offers alternatives.

@DKNYC

are you still around?

i found this

http://www.events12.com/newyork/november/

"Daily tree lighting"

have you been to that? if so, is it worth while? or just "so so"?

i have this insatiable craving for classical music tonight dknyc - its weird

other then that what have you been up to dknyc?

of course DKNYC i forgot to mention why im listening to classical music - im watching the hour plus movie of the quantum on youtube(someone linked it in the forums) video muted, so the classical music fills in the background....

the video is in german....

actually it reminds me of this clip from the movie u571

Also DKNYC

would you please explain to me a couple of things - as i dont understand about the cruise shops

( the video is here

)

for example on the tour

@ 29 minutes 50 seconds the guy enters a restaurant and it appears to have a price list...why?

why is there a price list that has only $1.50 for stuff (if you pause the video)

@34minute 02seconds the pool looks amazing... but isnt it a spa?

@45minute 30seconds is it just me or does the bar look broken?

@54minute 40seconds - wish the blond girl was on my cruise :D - would love to say hi :D (in front of no behind the counter)

as i (they?) tour the ship, i get the feeling that anything worth while will cost me extra :(

@1 hr 03 minut 36 second - is it just me or do those seats look like coffins?

yawn im so tired - talk to you soon dknyc

for example on the tour

@ 29 minutes 50 seconds the guy enters a restaurant and it appears to have a price list...why?

why is there a price list that has only $1.50 for stuff (if you pause the video)

That's Johnny Rockets, which charges a la carte for food like burgers and fries. See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2122602

Not all dining venues are complimentary. The four main dining rooms (American Icon Grill, Silk, Chic, and the Grande), Dog House, Cafe Two70°, Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade, and Windjammer are complementary, but the other venues either have a cover charge (Chops, Jamie's Italian, Solarium Bistro, Chef's Table, and Wonderland) or charge per item (like Johnny Rockets, Michael's Genuine, and Izumi).

Edited by ahecht

Also DKNYC

would you please explain to me a couple of things - as i dont understand about the cruise shops

( the video is here

)

for example on the tour

@34minute 02seconds the pool looks amazing... but isnt it a spa?

@45minute 30seconds is it just me or does the bar look broken?

@54minute 40seconds - wish the blond girl was on my cruise :D - would love to say hi :D (in front of no behind the counter)

as i (they?) tour the ship, i get the feeling that anything worth while will cost me extra :(

@1 hr 03 minut 36 second - is it just me or do those seats look like coffins?

yawn im so tired - talk to you soon dknyc

Point 1: Johnny Rockets--found in many US cities. Fashioned after an old-time Malt & Hamburger Drive-In. Al la carte pricing

Point 2: Solarium. Adults only. spa-like atmosphere

Point 3: Schooner Bar. What they showed was sitting area

Point 3.1:Bionic Bar--virtual bartenders. Completely automated

The "coffin-like" seating is for conversational privacy at the Captains Table in Silk. Dining there is by invitation only.

There is much to enjoy on board without paying extra. "Chops" is an excellent steakhouse but good steaks are also to be had in the gratis dining rooms. All of the entertainment is free--reservations may well be required considering the population of the ship and the size of the theaters. Spa services are extra, but then the people working there do not work for Royal Caribbean but for an contract firm (Canyon Ranch?). Ones attitude had a lot to do with how much one does or does not enjoy their cruise vacation. I will take in as much as I can on this new class of ship, but I'm perfectly happy to sit in a lounge on a deck where I can see the water and watch the world go by!

Edited by roadburner

currently listerning too -

(listen along with me :D )

@ahecht

Hello again Ahecht - thank you for your reply

ah ok - thanks for clarifying it about 'john rocket' -

why do i get the feeling from the thread that you linked me - some people are not happy with the changes? because of a lot of the menu is "not doing that any more"? i guess i have missed something here from peoples

experience on other ships...

yes, i understand that there are some places that have a cover charge(which is fair enough) - i just hope i wont go hungary, i mean from the german video, the selection of what was available wasnt that "wow"

the video at 23 minutes 30 seconds

i mean they had some fruit and some pasta with sauces with bread..... "woopee" and with the sweets there isnt that large selection - im hoping their will be more in other parts of the ship

i hope they have pavlova ! :D and milo cakes! (recipes at the bottom of the post if you want to know what they are)

@road runner....

Hello again ms meep meep (road runner!)- thank you for your reply

ok @ Johnny rockets - appently its not like the old hamburger places any more and people are not happy with it - i would be un happy too - i love milk shakes (you americans call it vitamin d and that is so weird :D )

oh goodie at point 2 :D

thanks for clarifying the schooner bar -

and the bionic bar didnt look too busy - i will be honest - i hope i dont have to tip that...

"Dining there is by invitation only." looks like i wont be sitting in those seats then....

thats good to hear that there are things that are free - and i have already made reservations on some things but others i cannot, like the ifly, or ball thing etc

yes, to a point, i would agree with you that ones attitude has alot to do with the cruising, but there is a line (clear or blurry) when a business (any, not just RCI)

charges for products/services and becomes "cheap" and "stingy"(stin-gy not sting-y) - but in all honest im not sure if im in a position to say if they are or are not on that path...i hope that makes sense

because in the end, we all (most people?) understand we have to pay our way in life, but not to be price gauged either...

where has my friend DKNYC gone?

well everyone - tonight is my last night that i will have with you guys (well, tomorrow , i will have access for a few hours so i might do one last check in)

i just wanted to say Goodbye to all those who have been awesome and replied to my thread, and have been REALLY helpful - you are awesome guys!

(its not listed in any particular order)

DKNYC

ahecht

roadburner

Biker19

Tyron

devdale

cruisenfever

crookedhalo

gep2

rakes5

cruiserking

OfTheSeasCruiser

PhilNDebbieAtSea

Life is Good Cruising

kccrzr

DEIx15x8

ignites

Yorkvillain

(anyone else that i missed)

so i fly out to maui for 2 weeks and then 1 week in manhattan, then hope on Qots :D