2 forts in 5 hours?

WaveSplasher

I don't understand why the port timing is only from 7am to 2pm. I wished it was longer.

Please help me decide if I have enough time to see the 2 Forts (Morro And Cristobal) in San Juan given the time I will be there from 8 am to 1pm, discounting disembarking and time so i don't have to run for the ship?

Any help will be appreciated

You can probably do it. The forts open at 9:00 a.m. We did San Cristobel in a couple of hours, I believe. We looked at all the displays and walked down every corridor and stood looking at views for quite a while. You could quicken up or slow down your time, as you wish. It was only about a 15 minute walk (if I remember correctly) over to El Morro. We did a quick tour because we had to be somewhere else, but I think it probably could have been done in less than 2 hours as well.

Or just pick one and walk around the town for a bit. We loved OSJ.

Is one fort better than the other? More authentic or more to see? We are in port from 7am -1pm sailing on Royal Caribbean in August. Are they within walking distance from the ship? Also, any other suggestions or tips for this port?

Edited by tee99

We walked to both, plus meandered thru streets, shops & a couple corner "shows" by vendors.... All in 3.5 hours. We did NOT go into the forts and take doors. We were happy to walk around the areas, especially the Morro park. Go there first, straight up the hill from docks on any number of streets. Once up there, Take a left at the wall to get to Morro. Then once done there, walk back along the wall to the other fort. Then straight down to the dock. That's the most direct. Again, we went up & down the shopping streets on the way back, and even hit the two little parks down from the docks. Plenty to do in 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It all depends on your interest and how long you take to look. We only had time to see one fort on one stop - saw the other the following year. My mom saw them both the same stop. I spent more time looking inside, but I'm a real history nerd.

They are similar, yet different. San Cristobal was in use through WW2, and El Morro is older and bigger. Both are managed by the National parks service. I recommend you visit the national park website and study up, then decide your priority.

Like Algebralvr I am a huge history nerd. So I couldn't do both forts in 5 hours. but I read EVERYTHING. Take my time to look. go back again, etc.

I did El Morro my 1st time in OSJ and San Cristabol the 2nd time. I enjoyed both. But that 1st time in OSJ going to El Morro cemented my love for this city and a desire to come back again and again.

so consider this. From the ship's pier, walk a bit towards your left (towards el morro) but walk the Princessa promenade (?). It takes you through shaded streets, past bronze statues, a beautiful fountain and travels eventually along the ocean outside of the historic wall that surrounds the city. You get to the HUGE old wooden doors, which I believe are the last remaining doors, to get back through the wall into the streets again. You continue your walk, past more statues, the old lookouts and finally to el morro. That was my very first walk in OSJ. And I felt that I had experienced a flavor of history, charm and beauty that let me know some of what OSJ was about.

Also remember, Puerto Rico is hot. At least to this far northern girl, it's toasty. (And wear sunscreen. Even if it's raining. Seriously. You do not know how far north you live until you manage to get sunburned on a rainy day!) You're not going to be moving very fast unless you taxi it around. Take your time. eat a shave ice. Sit in the shade. Watch them fly kites at the field in front of el morro.

And then ... make plans to come back again.

Not a history nerd and once I've read a few plaques I'm done reading, then I just like to roam around and look. I'd have plenty of time to do both in less than 5 hours. I'm more interested in the architecture and the views.

They are different, couldn't say one was better than the other.