7 Years On A Cruise Ship? Yikes!

Raxter54

Woah! Crystal may be primarily owned by Asian interests, but it is anything other then a Japanese Cruise Line. Their overwhelming client base is from North America and their ships routinely cruise from US Ports.

But this is not just happening on Crystal. A couple, well known by frequent Princess cruisers, used to practically live on the old Royal Princess (as much as 11 months a year). And there was a wealthy widow lady who spent many years cruising on the Queen Elizabeth 2 (she even had an engraved name plate on her cabin door). Some folks would argue that its actually less expensive to live on some cruise ships then it would be to live in a decent Assistant Living Center.

Hank

The article says she lived for 3 years on Holland America before switching to the Crystal ship.

I wonder how much more it is than actually living similarly on land? It's not just a place to live (including all taxes and utilities), but also cleaning and laundry, excellent quality food and drink (including alcohol), staff to prepare your food and drink, and entertainment (including things like movies, shows, an afternoon playing cards, or a night out dancing). And a chance to see the world.

I say more power to her!

I did not see anything in the article or comments about how much time she actually spends on the ship. When Lorraine Artz was living on a Princess ship, she would spend 5 months on board then go home for a month. While home she took are of things like doctor appointments, etc. Ray and Barbara currently spend 6 to 8 months on a Princess ship then go home for a month or so for the same reason.

Interesting story. I did some back-of-the-envelope pricing. I could get a basic inside or OV cabin on a mainstream line for about $1000/week, or a bit over 4 grand a month. The room would be tinier than any apartment or house, but there would be a lot of perks - free food (mostly), free laundry, lot of other status perks, free cleaning twice a day, some free entertainment, no property taxes...

The repetition would likely drive me crazy within a few months, but as an interim move for a few weeks... it's worth considering when I'm in a position to consider it.

For a first time cruiser, this just blew my mind :eek:

http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/lee-wachtstetter-86-year-old-woman-has-lived-on-a-cruise-ship-for-7-years

Does anyone know which cruise line this ship belongs too?

About on par with assisted living that runs anywhere from $10K to $20K a month depending on what part of the country you live in and a better view ;-)

ETA: Better meals I bet too and I bet she gets perks as well.

Edited by janrey1234

I did not see anything in the article or comments about how much time she actually spends on the ship. When Lorraine Artz was living on a Princess ship, she would spend 5 months on board then go home for a month. While home she took are of things like doctor appointments, etc. Ray and Barbara currently spend 6 to 8 months on a Princess ship then go home for a month or so for the same reason.

Actually, it does......it says she stays on the ship except to see her family on the few days the ship docks in Miami each year.

I know it is none of my but the article doesn't say what she did for living to be able to afford this?

Having done this for 7 years now and at 160k+ a year, that is close to a million already.

Hope she has budgeted for this to be able to do this for as long as she can.

I have only done cruising twice and I love it!!! But I don't think I can live on it. Maximum I can do is 3 months

I know it is none of my but the article doesn't say what she did for living to be able to afford this?

Having done this for 7 years now and at 160k+ a year, that is close to a million already.

Hope she has budgeted for this to be able to do this for as long as she can.

I have only done cruising twice and I love it!!! But I don't think I can live on it. Maximum I can do is 3 months

http://www.people.com/article/florida-woman-lives-cruise-ship. She sold her 5 bedroom 10 acre property in Ft Lauderdale probably at the peak before the market fell. Her husband also probably had some investments that are doing quite well. As I stated previously, it costs pretty much the same for assisted living and one needs to run out their money before medicare will kick in. I also think the media is exaggerating the costs, because by now she probably gets discounts. Frankly, at 86 I would much rather spend my time on a cruise than any assisted living place If I could afford it.

http://www.people.com/article/florida-woman-lives-cruise-ship. She sold her 5 bedroom 10 acre property in Ft Lauderdale probably at the peak before the market fell. Her husband also probably had some investments that are doing quite well. As I stated previously, it costs pretty much the same for assisted living and one needs to run out their money before medicare will kick in. I also think the media is exaggerating the costs, because by now she probably gets discounts. Frankly, at 86 I would much rather spend my time on a cruise than any assisted living place If I could afford it.

YES, I visit a friend in an assisted living/nursing home that is one of the nicer ones and it is still quite depressing. Going there today. My mother was in an absolutely lovely one but I, too, would take a cruise ship over assisted living.