solo cruisers who like to travel on luxury lines

haikou

I did not see any thread about this on the luxury cruise page so am starting a thread here. Just to let others know, you do not have to have a 6 figure income to afford Crystal! I personally will not pay double for staterooms on Seabourn or Regent but Crystal's single supplement fees are very reasonable for the cruise industry. starting at 25% for the categories I sail in. Next year the base ss fee will be 30% but still that is better than most mass market , premium or other luxury lines out there :)

And I do NOT have a 6 figure income - yet can manage 1 or 2 cruises a year on Crystal.

I started sailing Regent, back when it was called Radisson Seven Seas, because its single supplements were 15-25%, making it cheaper for a solo than a mass market line. Those days are gone on Regent, but I recently discovered Crystal and booked because of that low solo supplement. Then a friend decided to go, so I won't be doing the single supplement, but it's great that they keep it in reach.

What is the average cost of a cabin for a 7 night cruise to the Carribean

cost on Crystal?

Crystal doesn't do many of those types of cruises -- they only have 2 ships -- but a 2016 14 day Miami to New Orleans cruise hitting a 8 Caribbean ports along the way is about $500 a day for solo occupancy (plus port charges and taxes, of course). That's virtually all inclusive on board. I don't take cruises at that price, but I usually pay about $325-$350 a day for my Crystal cruises. For instance, this spring their transatlantic is about $330/day solo occupancy, and a Tokyo-LA cruise I have my eye on is about $350/day. I got very lucky to find my last cruise, a transpacific, at about $275/day.

(those prices are in a partially obscured outside cabin)

Another line to consider is "near-luxury" Azamara. They are pretty much all-inclusive as well, and have a 25% supplement on a number of their sailings. Plus if you have "frequent cruiser" status with RCCL/Celebrity you get those perks on Azamara as well since they are a sister line.

Crystal quoted me $3900 US for a (11 day?) TA in December 2015. The e-mail I got claimed it was going to be a $2400 two-for-one deal, which struck me as a pretty mass-market type of bait and switch.

I was sort of hoping I'd be reading what people expect when they say luxury, and whether the cruise line is actually delivering to that standard.

I was sort of hoping I'd be reading what people expect when they say luxury, and whether the cruise line is actually delivering to that standard.

Luxury is certainly a personal definition -- what is luxurious to one may be unimportant to another. For me, luxurious is in the quality of the service, food, and furnishings (which includes decor). It's not about the "level" of the food or furniture (eg, not necessarily lobster, caviar, or name brands of towels) but the actual quality that I see, feel, and taste. Luxurious food (to me) could be a really good Reuben sandwich, whereas a steak and lobster could be rather pedestrian if the quality is feh.

I also find the lack of upselling on an all inclusive to be a part of luxurious treatment.

edited to add: I thought Crystal grandly delivered on that; they are the only luxury line I have cruised with.

Edited by calliopecruiser

• 3 weeks later...

All the cruise lines I have done usual costs between $100 to $200 a day.

While I know some of the river cruises in Europe do include the excursions in the booking fare, does Crystal and other luxury lines do the same for some of the excursions at their stops? I don't mean all the possible ones, just a few at each stop that are already paid for would make a huge difference.

Excursions can really add up no matter how cheap the cruise itself is, if excursions are not an extra cost then the luxury lines can turn out to be a very good deal indeed.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

All the cruise lines I have done usual costs between $100 to $200 a day.

While I know some of the river cruises in Europe do include the excursions in the booking fare, does Crystal and other luxury lines do the same for some of the excursions at their stops? I don't mean all the possible ones, just a few at each stop that are already paid for would make a huge difference.

Excursions can really add up no matter how cheap the cruise itself is, if excursions are not an extra cost then the luxury lines can turn out to be a very good deal indeed.

Regent includes most excursions......personally, I'm more of a DIY type of traveler, so it doesn't interest me.

Another line to consider is "near-luxury" Azamara. They are pretty much all-inclusive as well, and have a 25% supplement on a number of their sailings. Plus if you have "frequent cruiser" status with RCCL/Celebrity you get those perks on Azamara as well since they are a sister line.

I agree with this. Value/service-wise, Azamara fills the sweet spot between Crystal and Celebrity. I just with the demographics were a bit younger.

Crystal does not offer free excursions, but they do include wine and liquor in their all-inclusive price. I have gone on Crystal several times with family members, and their level of service, food prep and presentation, education programs (speakers, etc.) are definitely superior. I am keeping my eyes open for a good cruise with a low single supplement on Crystal for sometime in the next couple of years if at all possible.

I've been checking out different possibilities for a Pacific Coastal cruise in either May or September. This is what I've found so far:

7 night cruise on Crystal on May 11 ($3,665)

7 night cruise on Coral Princess on Sept 16 ($839)

8 night cruise on Jewell of the Seas on Sept 18 ($888)

I'm sure the Crystal cruise price is for an obstructed ocean view cabin and the Princess and RCCL are for insides. I just can't see myself spending $4,000+ for a week vacation with airfare.

At some point I'd like to try Crystal. I've heard good things about them from many solo cruisers.

Faith

I checked out the website for crystal. If single supps are only about 25%, prices are really not that terrible, but I was put off by the dress code. It said on formal nights you could not even go to the bars or shows unless you were dressed appropriately. Now Im not suggesting you walk around in shorts and flip flops on formal nights, but I really dont care for dressing up,. Are they really that particular? Would you feel out of place if you prefer very casual attire?

I checked out the website for crystal. If single supps are only about 25%, prices are really not that terrible, but I was put off by the dress code. It said on formal nights you could not even go to the bars or shows unless you were dressed appropriately. Now Im not suggesting you walk around in shorts and flip flops on formal nights, but I really dont care for dressing up,. Are they really that particular? Would you feel out of place if you prefer very casual attire?

Yes, very casual attire is not permitted on those (Black Tie Optional) nights in the bars or shows - and yes, you will be discreetly told. That said, you do not have to dress fancily, let alone formally......but no shorts or jeans. However, I might wear casual "chino" types of pants with a plain v-neck pullover with casual sandals (though sometimes I dress up a bit more).

• 1 month later...

Silversea also has great single supplements - anywhere from 150% down to 110%. I used to take Regent when they were doing 125% SS but they got to be too expensive after they added all shore excursions. I too am a DYI kind of person when it comes to shore excursions.

A friend and I did a b2b last December with both cruse 110% plus a 5% reduction for the b2b.

Daily prices usually are between $320-420 but that includes all drinks and tips, plus butler service for all suites. And the suites are much larger than Crystal.

I would love to try Seabourn but not at 200%!

Silversea has become my cruise line of choice.