Looking for cabin for 5?

pomlover

Ok, we are traveling with 3 kids. We would like to stay in one room if possible. They are too young to let them stay in a room by themselves. And cruises we are looking at we just can't spend extra on another room! So, I start looking for rooms that would fit 5. There are hardly any! I can't believe this! I know there are families out there that have more than 2 kids! The Oasis has 1 room on the whole ship and it is for a wheel chair.

So to help my research out...Anyone else cruise with 3 kids and in the same room? What cruise line and ship? And of course please don't suggest an owners suite or something like that at $5000 a person. We just can't do that :o)

Thanks for your help!

I've seen this question posted many times before, and people are always quick to point to the Family Suites. Although they may not be $5000/person, they're still awfully pricey. So are the Family Balcony rooms on Disney.

Carnival has several ships that offer Family Outside rooms. The Fantasy (had all 5 of us in one without problems years ago) and Dream pop into my mind.

Royal Caribbean has a few ships (Splendour?) that have some rooms far forward that sleep 5 and are reasonably priced as well.

Hopefully others will know of more options.

Whilst cruising is a very cost effective way of vacationing, especially for families, there is, like all other vacation options, no silver bullet. Your comment regarding the lack of facilities for a family if 5 onboard Oasis is, unfortunately, inaccurate as there are lots of staterooms that will quite easily accommodate that number. And, as has been mentioned by others, that includes a very reasonably priced family interior stateroom. There is also the option of two interiors with connecting doors .. again very reasonable especially if the children are very young and may, depending on your arrangements, travel free when sharing with adults. Try some more research and you might be pleasantly surprised at the range of affordable facilities available before publicly bemoaning what you perceive to be the lack of facilities on the world's largest cruise ship.

Royal Caribbean has what are called "Family Oceanview" cabins on many ships. These are not the pricy "Royal Family Suites." The Family Oceanviews have a sleeping area for the adults, a "bunk" type area for the kids with a curtain or door (can't remember and they might not all be the same), as well as a "living" area. There is one bathroom, but with smaller kids that is not often a problem. The prices are usually quite affordable and there is plenty of room. Also, the Freedom and Oasis class ships have more family options in the affordable range, such as the Family Interior and Family Promenade.

I don't know about any other cruise lines as far as those types of cabins go, but I know that Carnival does have some on their older ships and Disney's cabins are quite large--but also, pretty darn pricy compared to other lines.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. It's a great family vacation.

beachchick

All of the -ion Carnival ships have cabins - even insides - that hold 5. So like Sensation - Imagination - Elation, you get the point.

Would *I* sail those ships again? Not if they were free (and I just checked - they almost are)

I would figure out a way to do another cruise line with connecting cabins if the suite options don't work for you. Contact a travel agent. That's what they are there for.

All of the -ion Carnival ships have cabins - even insides - that hold 5. So like Sensation - Imagination - Elation, you get the point.

Would *I* sail those ships again? Not if they were free (and I just checked - they almost are)

I would figure out a way to do another cruise line with connecting cabins if the suite options don't work for you. Contact a travel agent. That's what they are there for.

What was your experience on the Sensation that turned you off to that class? Size? Crowds? Age?

Royal Caribbean has family interiors, family oceanviews, family promenades, family balconies, royal family suites, presidential family suites. As mentioned, Carnival has cabins that sleep 5. Disney has many cabins that will sleep 5 - categories 4 and 8 and the concierge level cabins will all sleep 5. NCL family cabins will sleep 5 or 6.

Ok, we are traveling with 3 kids. We would like to stay in one room if possible. They are too young to let them stay in a room by themselves. And cruises we are looking at we just can't spend extra on another room! So, I start looking for rooms that would fit 5. There are hardly any! I can't believe this! I know there are families out there that have more than 2 kids! The Oasis has 1 room on the whole ship and it is for a wheel chair.

So to help my research out...Anyone else cruise with 3 kids and in the same room? What cruise line and ship? And of course please don't suggest an owners suite or something like that at $5000 a person. We just can't do that :o)

Thanks for your help!

We did a family trip last October, 2012, on the DCL Fantasy. My DD, DSIL, and 3 Grandkids stayed in one room--not a veranda--just an oceanview and they fit just fine. The kids are 9,6 and 4. It was expensive but no where near $5K pp.

What was your experience on the Sensation that turned you off to that class? Size? Crowds? Age?

Oh where do I begin? Feces in the pool that caused it to shut down on our sea day. Trash in the stair well (and full on trash - like apple cores - the guests treated the ship like a trash dump). Fights in the champagne bar with the crew.

We did Family Oceanview on RCL twice with our 3 kids, these are different and more affordable than the Royal Family Suite. The rooms had a Queen Bed, pullout sofa and a little alcove with bunkbeds. There is only one bathroom but that wasn't an issue when they were younger, now with teens, no way would that work! You have to book them with RCL directly, can't do it online. Even more affordable is Family Interior or Promenade. Also, connecting rooms interior are an option as you can leave the door open so it's like having them in same room and the benefit is two bathrooms. I like to book with RCL directly and have them price out all my options then I can pick what works with our family size and budget.

Carnival Fantasy class inside for 5:

FantasyM88-2.jpg

FantasyM88-1.jpg

The 5th bed is a rollaway.

Carnival Dream class OVcabin for 5:

Carnival_Dream_Family_Quint_3018.jpg

Carnival's Destiny(Sunshine), Triumph and Victory can also add a cot to a quad cabin.

Celebrity's Millennium class ships have wonderful Family Verandah cabins with large balconies. EM

We've discovered by mock booking on the Carnival site that many ships, although not all, accommodate families of five in various types of affordable rooms, as Essiesmom's post lists. I couldn't find anything in our price range on other cruiselines, but obviously every family has a different idea of what's affordable.

The cheapest is the inside cabins in the Fantasy class ships, but our family of five liked the oceanview cabins for five on the Dream class ships (Dream, Magic, Breeze). We were able to find affordable rates by cruising in the off-season (when school is in session). Enough room and an extra bathroom space with sink and bathtub/shower. Ours was set up with the lower beds pushed together and the ladder on the end between the two uppers. Magic and Breeze have sports decks and waterpark areas with lots for families to do.

I had no idea how challenging it would be to travel with five until we had our youngest child. It's amazing how many hotels don't even have rooms that allow rollaways.

Thank you for everyone's help. We are really leaning toward RCCL. I looked on each stateroom and like I said most said for 2,3 or 4 people. Only one cabin on the Oasis, deck 11 said for 5 people.

I guess If I book with a TA or RCCL directly this would be different? They would tell me if there is an extra bed in the room?

:o

Thank you for everyone's help. We are really leaning toward RCCL. I looked on each stateroom and like I said most said for 2,3 or 4 people. Only one cabin on the Oasis, deck 11 said for 5 people.

I guess If I book with a TA or RCCL directly this would be different? They would tell me if there is an extra bed in the room?

:o

I've read that there are family interiors on the Oasis that hold five. They just can't be booked on the RCCL website, for some reason. You have to call.

I've read that there are family interiors on the Oasis that hold five. They just can't be booked on the RCCL website, for some reason. You have to call.

This is correct - for 5 or more you have to call RCI (or a TA) to get that info. They should make it easier - but they don't.

OMG, I think prisons have more space than those cabins! Imagine once you put people and their things in there.

It looks like you are really interested in Oasis or Allure, but I wanted to encourage you to consider other ships. It will become much more affordable for a family of 5 and many still have a ton of things to do. If nothing else, you can start on a smaller, less expensive ship and see if you like it before you try the biggest attractions out there.

We are in a 2 bedroom family balcony suite on one of the older NCL ships during spring break next year. The family suites are nice sized, hold 5 or 6 and with no balcony they were $3400. That's not a cheap time of year to go too, you might find a better price if you can be flexible with when you go.

Good luck!

There are connecting cabins...the doorway in the wall connects the 2 rooms, so the kids are actually closer than in their bedrooms at home. You may want to consider that set-up...keep the door open and you get the space with the closeness to the kids you want.

Ship cabins are so much smaller than even small hotel rooms....5 will be tight!

We have 4 year old twins and a 3 year old. We sailed the Carnival Magic out of Galveston in a family oceanview. It has two bathrooms. I bathroom has a tub/shower with a sink. The other bathroom has a shower/sink/toilet. It was fine for us.

We have booked the norwegian epic haven suite. This trip will be double in cost compared to carnival magic....but then again it's a suite compared to an oceanview.

I find this hard to believe..but I was told by a travel agent that Holland America does NOT have cabins for 5. I never confirmed this as we weren't interested in sailing them.

HAL does not have cabins for 5, to the best of knowledge, but they do have connecting cabins which would allow you to open the door between them, plus you would have 2 bathrooms.

Roz

Oh where do I begin? Feces in the pool that caused it to shut down on our sea day. Trash in the stair well (and full on trash - like apple cores - the guests treated the ship like a trash dump). Fights in the champagne bar with the crew.

You know? I had a similar experience aboard the Legend... but not to that degree. Our last cruise, aboard the NCL Epic, there was a drunk guy yelling at a bartender in one of the bars. I went over, guy wasn't fighting with the bartender, he was just LOUD and had no audience... and the bartender wasn't proficient in Staten Island. (it was the first week after the Trans Atlantic crossing)

I ended up getting my coca-cola at that bar, yapped with the drunk guy a little (since I understand Staten Island having a house along the Jersey Shore and all), diffused the noise and went on my way.

I have a bad habit of applying my experiences with other passengers aboard cruise ships to the cruise line itself.

Like... my experience with the unpleasant old guy aboard Princess who told my wife we are teaching my blind son to break rules when we sat in the front row of a show (with permission) and how he should learn to DEAL WITH IT in terms of his visual impairment.

Not a huge fan of the people you meet on Princess.

Pomlover - my kids are 9,7,5 and I have studied this closely. I am not sure your budget or your version of expensive, but here is my research has found. When I say research it is really a matter of studying deck plans and CALLING NCL, Carnival, RCL, Celebrity.

General - What many people are overlooking is that connecting rooms book up fast and are usually set up for 2 +2. Finding a 3 person connected to a 2 person is tough - try to book a year or so in advance. (not kidding).

NCL - Look at these ships. We have connecting balconies on the Dawn for Spring Break at $4200 total. You can't get that on Oasis. Yes, Dawn is an older boat, but does it have what YOUR family needs? Family Suites (SJ) are also a good option. That would have pushed my price to $5500 total. Epic is hard to find anything for 5.

RCCL - Sailed on Freedom of the Seas last year for around $4800. We booked the Family Promenade and the kids loved it. You could watch the parades from your room and could people watch all the time. This room was "huge" at 308 sqft. Bunks in a setup area and a fold out couch. There was a queen bed behind the curtain for Mom and Dad. The walk-in closet was big enough to put a pack-n-play if you wanted to. Great room, but food on this trip was disappointing, but that's not your question.

If you book really far in advance (fully refundable) there are connections between balconies and interior or balconies and oceanview to be had on Freedom and Voyeager class ships.

Carnival - CCL markets their Family Oceanview as suitable for 5. I can't imagine putting 5 in there (look at the pictures posted already on this thread) and besides I don't want to be on Deck 2. I understand if that's what the budget dictates, that's what you do - perfect time to consider older ships.

Celebrity - They have a Family Balcony that looks incredible. 500+ sqft with a separate bedroom that has one twin bed. It is more expensive, but cheaper than the suites on many of the other boats. I am just not sold there will be enough kid friendly activities on this line.

HAL/Princess - Call and asked them both. Nothing holds 5 and there are not connecting rooms. The agent at Princess was trying to book me in Balcony with across the hall interior. Kids were 8,6,4. I don't think they are old enough for that.

We sailed once with our 3 children on the Destiny and they allow 5 in their rooms but only two 5 night to choose from. Disney offers lots of room for 5 but you pay more for Disney cruise but we do plan on booking one in the future. Our cruise coming up we are getting two inside rooms that are attached so we can just leave the door in between open because our children are also to young to be alone. Not sure about being on the inside because we never have but never know until we try. Most cost effective for two rooms. Only plan on being in there to sleep and change. Traveling with three children is harder for resorts than with cruising. Good luck finding what you want. FYI our 7 night on FOS for the two rooms is way under $5000. :)

We've recently booked on the Celebrity Eclipse. The room we booked is a normal balacony. It has the queen for us, an upper birth, lower sofa/day bed AND a trundle bed. Good Luck!

The Carnival deluxe family oceanview, as shown in the last of the three photos, was sufficient size for our family. I believe it is 230 sq ft. The rooms are only available on the new ships, the Dream, Magic, and Breeze. I believe in saving money where possible, but I would hesitate to put five in a regular size room in the Fantasy class ships -- that looks way too tight. We also wanted the features of the newest ships that gave us more family-friendly fun on board. Our total, with taxes and fees, for a 7-night was well under $3,000. It was an affordable way to test out whether we liked cruising as a family. BTW, Camp Carnival and the similar children's programs on other cruiselines makes sharing a room a little less of a sacrifice for parents. :)

Archived