return to the Breeze. Jan 3-11-2015...

sid_9169

After my last cloudy, rainy, trip upon the Breeze in October 2014, I knew that I must visit her again in hopes of better weather. Shortly after my return, I began searching for a possible 8 day adventure on the beautiful Carnival Breeze. Around the middle of November I found what appeared to be a pretty good solo rate, and quickly booked it. This time in Starboard balcony 8367. (Last time I was in cove balcony 2309, great room, but far away from the food and the action on the upper decks.)

My journey began early on a Saturday morning, after having very little sleep. The cab picked me up around 7:00 am, and I was off to the Marta station (the Subway system here in Atlanta.) About 30 minutes later I arrived at the airport in plenty of time for my flight. My flight was not until 10:00 am, but I always like to leave in plenty of time in case there are any hiccups...

Pretty soon I was on-board and headed to Miami. We landed a few minutes before noon, and at the gate soon after. I made a bee line to the Carnival check-in counter located inside the airport, and within ten minutes I was holding my shiny Gold level sail & sign card. (I would hit 25 days on the sixth day of this cruise.) Minutes later I was in a cab on the way to the port. I arrived and quickly made my way to the "airport check-in" line, and within 5 minutes, I was on-board! Total time between landing at the airport and being aboard the ship, 50 minutes!

I made my way to Guest services to redeem $500 worth of Carnival e-gift cards purchased thru Verizon. Next stop, the Cheers program table located in the atrium lobby. Soon after, I was having the first of many Ultimate Margaritas at the lobby bar. I made my way up to level 8 to check out my cabin. It looked identical to the cove balcony cabin I had been in only 2 months earlier. I unpacked my bag ( I always do a carry on bag, only) I don't trust the airline with my stuff. In fact, one of the people on my roll call had his bag misplaced, and he showed up for the cruise with only the clothes on his back.

A couple of more drinks later it was time for muster drill, and soon after, I was up on deck for sail-away. Miami soon dis-appeared into the distance, and my vacation had officially begun!!! My first night in the MDR, I was seated at a large round table for 11. Only three other people besides me were present. 3 ladies in their 70's & me... Now, I love my grandmother, but I was hoping to be seated with some solos closer to my age. (45) Between courses, I made my way outside to the assistant maitred and inquired about a possible table change. He said I would have a letter under my cabin door before 2pm the next day telling me where my new table location would be. After dinner I had a couple more drinks and soon it was time for bed. It had been a long travel day, and I wanted to be well rested for my first sea day...

next up- the first sea day... hot tubs, hairy chest competition, and photo-bombing...

After a restful nights sleep, I was up around 6:30 am. I headed up to the Lido deck to have some coffee and wait for the Blue Iguana to open up. I scarfed down a burrito bowl with Mexican eggs, onions, tomatoes, and those crunchy onion things. At 8:00 am I headed to the Serenity hot tub that had just opened. I am a bit OCD about being in an enclosed body of water with a bunch of strangers of questionable hygiene, so I always get my hot tubbing on first thing while it's nice and clean.

After that, a quick shower before our roll call meet & greet in the Liquid Lounge nightclub. About 50 or so people showed up and there were some items raffled off. We chatted and mingled for about an hour, then it was about time to hit up the Tandoor for some lunch. This would be my "go-to" place for lunch throughout the week. Excellent Indian food...

I headed up to the sun deck to catch some rays before the mens hairy chest competition. One of the gentlemen from our roll call was a contestant (and should have won) however it was not to be. (he came in second place)

Now it was about time to get my drink on, so I headed to the Blue Iguana tequila bar for a spicy margarita. Then another. Then another. Soon I had a good buzz going so I headed to my cabin for a bit of balcony time before getting ready for the first "elegant night."

About 5:15 I headed out along the Promenade deck for some photo-bombing. (being a solo traveler, I have to amuse myself somehow) With my now substantial buzz going, I may have overdone it just a bit. Big fun!!!

Tonight I was seated at my new table in the Blush dining room. My new table was a decent improvement over my former table that was mostly unoccupied. Tonight was lobster night, and also rib night, so, of course I had a couple of both. Then, as if that weren't enough, I had some pizza afterwards. Then a reuben sandwich at the deli. (it's a wonder I don't weigh 500 lbs) A few more drinks at the Ocean plaza bar, and it was about 11:30. A long day of eating and drinking soon caught up to me and it was time for bed.

next up- more hot-tubbing, Patron shots, and my first umbrella drink...

Cid, just what goes into a spicy margarita? I have heard 2 stories about them, 1 LOVED them and another said it was the worse thing that they have ever tasted. A margarita is my go-to drink, so I would be interested to know what they taste like. Thanks in advance.

So you hit 25 days during the cruise and they went ahead and made you gold?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, if you reach a new level during the cruise you are considered the higher level starting on embarkation day. I didn't get my gold pin until the sixth day (the actual day I reached 25 days)

Cid, just what goes into a spicy margarita? I have heard 2 stories about them, 1 LOVED them and another said it was the worse thing that they have ever tasted. A margarita is my go-to drink, so I would be interested to know what they taste like. Thanks in advance.

They have some kind of chipotle pineapple juice and are only available at the blue iguana tequila bar on the Lido deck. They're just as advertised, spicy...

Me too. I'm not a big drinker but we're going on the Breeze next Sunday and since I don't have to be the DD, I plan on doing some drinking.

They have some kind of chipotle pineapple juice and are only available at the blue iguana tequila bar on the Lido deck. They're just as advertised, spicy...

This is the item . . .

http://www.monin.com/us-en/products/premium-syrups-0/monin-chipotle-pineapple-syrup

I was on your earlier Carnival Breeze sailing (the one where our port stops were apparently managed by a roulette wheel), but I still had a great time.

Glad to read that your most recent one was a bit more 'normal'. :)

Yes, if you reach a new level during the cruise you are considered the higher level starting on embarkation day. I didn't get my gold pin until the sixth day (the actual day I reached 25 days)

Sweet! Was your S&D card red or gold? Sorry to ask such stupid questions, but our 8 year old is counting down until she gets her gold card. ;)

We are leaving on the 31st.

Can I ask what the price for the cheers program was. There are so many different answers on her and some say it is ship dependent and time of cruise. I am even getting different info from my PVP.

Thanks

Looking forward to your review

Sweet! Was your S&D card red or gold? Sorry to ask such stupid questions, but our 8 year old is counting down until she gets her gold card. ;)

If you reach 25 days at any point during the cruise (even if it's the very last day) then, your s&s card will be gold on embarkation day... I turned gold on day six, but had gold card on embarkation day...

We are leaving on the 31st.

Can I ask what the price for the cheers program was. There are so many different answers on her and some say it is ship dependent and time of cruise. I am even getting different info from my PVP.

Thanks

Looking forward to your review

Cheers was $459.54 (Divided by 8=$57.44/day, which includes the 15% gratuity on the package) They have done away with the tiered pricing structure from several months ago. You are charged tax on individual drinks while in US ports and until you reach international waters. Also, San Juan is considered a US port...

This morning I was up early again, about 6:45. I headed up to Lido for my morning coffee and waited for the omlette line to open. After that I made my way to the Serenity hot tub at exactly 8:00 am to be the first one in the freshly cleaned hot tub. This would become my daily pattern throughout the week. It's good to just sit up there and relax and allow the warm bubbly water to wash away the reality of everyday life back at home...

With no real plans for today, I had a shower and sat out on my balcony for a bit. At a few minutes before noon I headed up to Lido for my first Guys burger of the cruise. Soon followed by some grub from the Tandoor. Back up to deck 11 for some sun, pretty soon it was about time for my first drink. Now, I mostly lean towards margaritas and just plain straight shots when it comes to drinking, but I decided with the afternoon heat setting in that I would have my first ever frozen umbrella drink. I headed to the Blue Iguana tequila bar and perused the menu and ordered a chipotle pineapple passion margarita. Definitely not the "manliest" sounding drink ever, but in the heat of the Caribbean it was pretty darn refreshing...

I had some time before dinner, so I headed to the Ocean Plaza bar on deck 5 for some shots of Patron from Jason the bartender. It was only day three, but by this time he had already memorized my folio number, so he didn't require my S&S card to make the transaction. How do these people remember names and numbers and such? I have a hard time remembering my own name after a few good drinks...

Soon it was time to get ready for dinner at my new table. I don't remember what was on the menu tonight, but everything I had in the MDR satisfied or exceeded my expectations. Our headwaiter Maliwan was exceptional and would receive an extra tip on the final night of my journey... A couple more drinks at Ocean Plaza and I was fading fast. I wanted to be up early for our first port day, St Thomas. I had not seen land since we pulled out of Miami on Saturday, and I was looking forward to swimming in the warm Caribbean water...

next up-St Thomas, my Safari bus adventure, and the stalker...

Looking forward to your review! We'll be on her in 43 days........:)

If you haven't already, join the roll call and/or group on the forbidden social media site, over 100 members there now.......assuming you're on the 2/28/15 sailing :D

I was up about 7:00 am for our first port day. This was the first time I had seen land since leaving Miami on Saturday. I headed up to Lido for coffee and a burrito at the Blue Iguana. A bit of empty hot tub time on Serenity, then it was time for a shower before heading out to explore St Thomas. I've heard that a cab to Sapphire beach for one person is around $30, but for $1 you could get there on the "dollar bus", or safari bus as some know them. That was my plan for today. I heard that the bus stop was near the Wendys just outside the cruise terminal. I located the bus stop with no problem, and soon I was on my way. Or, so I thought. I remember from looking at maps that Sapphire beach was on the Northeast section of the island, but my "spidey sense" said that we were headed roughly due West. Soon we passed a small airport and minutes later, arrived at a small college campus. All the remaining passengers exited the bus. The driver said this was the end of the line, and if I wanted to continue that I would need to pay again. I told him that I was trying to get to Sapphire beach. He said that is at the oppisite end of the island, but he would take me to the bus stop that I needed to go to. I handed him $5 and thanked him. Soon we arrived at the correct bus stop where I waited for about 20 minutes for the next bus. I felt like a stranger in a strange land as I waited for the next bus. And I also got some funny looks from the locals at the bus stop, but nothing threatening, just curious...

Soon I was finally on the way to my destination. I was hoping for some adventure today, and the safari bus delivered . I was boldly going where I had never been before. I told one of the locals where I was going and they said it was a nice place and they would tell me when to get off. Also, that there was a food truck/BBQ stand that was some of the best food on the island.

We arrived about 15 minutes later, and it was a short walk down a steep hill to the beach. The water was a magnifacent blue like I had never seen here in the states. I hung my beach bag on a branch and headed out into the warm, inviting Caribbean waters for a swim. Like I stated earlier, I have severe OCD about swimming in enclosed bodies of water with people, but, somehow, I love to swim in the ocean? I let the troubles of life wash away in the beautiful water.

After my swim I made my way back up the hill to the food stand that the guy on the bus had mentioned.(I believe it's called Off the Grid.) I had the all you can eat option for $15.00... It included ribs, chicken, sausage, and pulled pork. Also, rice & beans, cole slaw and what they call "Caribbean caviar"... It was awesome!!! And the view from the top of the hill was spectacular. After that I stood out by the road to wait for the next safari bus back to the cruise terminal. Again I was the only non-local on the bus. And again, I got funny looks from the other passengers, but I didn't care, I was on an adventure. When we got to the Kmart I surprised all of these strangers by paying for all of their rides. It cost me $14 bucks to make a bus load of strangers day...

Back on board, I had a couple of shots of Patron at the Ocean Plaza bar. Jason, the bartender somehow still remembered my folio number. The ship was still pretty empty, so I figured as long as I'm still in my swimsuit, I would have a bit of hot tub time in Serenity.

As I exited the Serenity area, I was approached by a gentleman. He made small talk and asked if I was on vacation by myself. What he said next sort of caught me off guard. Lets just say that I was suprised (as well as a bit freaked out) Suffice to say that it was XXX rated, and we'll leave it at that... I let him know that I was not at all interested, and quickly made my way back to my cabin for a shower. I attempted to wash away the situation I had just encountered, but it was going to take much more than soap & water to wash away that encounter. More Patron shots were in order, and I made my way back to Jason at the Ocean Plaza bar... About five drinks later it was time for dinner.

I was the only one to show up at the table for ten tonight in the MDR. I ate then had a few more drinks and soon my buzz was telling me it was time for bed... Tommorrow we would be in Antigua, and I wanted to be well rested.

next up- Bravo and the #22 bus, Darkwood beach, and more shots of Patron...

• Haha 1

As I exited the Serenity area, I was approached by a gentleman. He made small talk and asked if I was on vacation by myself. What he said next sort of caught me off guard. Lets just say that I was suprised (as well as a bit freaked out) Suffice to say that it was XXX rated, and we'll leave it at that... I let him know that I was not at all interested, and quickly made my way back to my cabin for a shower. I attempted to wash away the situation I had just encountered, but it was going to take much more than soap & water to wash away that encounter.

Yikes.... I was on that cruise as a solo and thank goodness that did not happen to me.

I awoke at about 6:30 and went up for coffee and to await the opening of the Blue Iguana for a breakfast burrito. At

8:00 I assumed my usual spot in the Serenity hot tub. I heard that back home in Atlanta it was about 12 degrees

today and thought to myself "what a great week to be on a cruise." I headed back to my cabin for a shower and soon I

was headed off the ship into Antigua.

I had read on Cruise Critic about the public bus system in Antigua, and armed with that info, headed outside the

port to the West bus station. It was about a ten minute walk from the port, and I quicly located the #22 bus and

Bravo the driver. I had also read that they wait until the bus is full before taking off, and that proved to be

true. Instead of waiting inside the bus I chatted with the driver who filled me in on a bit of the history of

Antigua, and he also told me that Darkwood beach was an excellent choice of beach for relaxation and swimming. Soon

the bus was full and Bravo said "your up front with me." I climbed into the front seat for what would be a very

scenic drive through the countryside on the way to the beach. We passed mountains and villages along the way, and

about 25 minutes later we arrived at Darkwood beach.

There is a small hut that sells drinks and snacks, as well as some very spartan bathrooms off to the side of the bar

area. Travelling alone with my beach bag (a plastic bag from Target) I found an honest looking older couple and

asked if they would look after my stuff while I went in for a swim. The water felt a bit chilly at first, but once

you get in it felt great. I swam about for around a half hour then took a walk along the beach to find shells and

rocks for my collection. Another swim and a couple of local beers at the bar, I dried off and went out to wait for

the next bus back to town. Less than 5 minutes later the bus showed up and I was on my way. Whenever someone got on

the bus they would always say "good afternoon" and the passengers would greet the new arrival. Much different from

the bus back home in Atlanta where everyone basically goes out of their way to ignore the other occupants.

Back in town now, I set out to find the Roti King that I had read about. Up and down each block I went and finally found it. I had read that this is the place to experience some great local food, and lets just say that it didn't disappoint. I was the only "non-local" in the place and went with the chicken roti and a Ting which came to $9.00 in American dollars. It was amazing! Like a chicken curry burrito. They had some habanero hot sauce that the owner

recommended that kicked it up a notch. One of the best meals I had all week...

Soon it was time to start heading back to the ship. Some shots of Patron from Jason at the Ocean Plaza bar, I told

him about my strange encounter with the pervert from the day before. He told to point the guy out to him if he

passed by. I only wish that I had such good luck with the ladies. We had a couple of good laughs and I soon made my

way to the Serenity hot tub to reflect on my day in Antigua.

Again, I was the only one who showed up to dinner in the MDR, and again I stuffed myself on tonights offerings. Afterward back to Ocean Plaza for more drinks and a magic show by Elton. Next, I went up to the deli and had a

reuben sandwich to soak up some of the Patron and beers. After that it was time for bed to rest up for San Juan tomorrow...