Progresso/Merida Shopping

The_Graphic1

My wife and I are going on the Feb 2nd cruise out of NOLA. This will be our first cruise and we will port in Cozumel then Progresso. She is wanting to do a little shopping and our current plan is to spend a primarily beach day in Cozumel then do some walking around in either Progresso or take the bus over to Merida and do some walking around and shopping there.

I'm just curious if some of the more experienced board members would have suggestions on if we'd be better off going on to Merida for her to do some shopping. We would also like to hit some authentic, local place to eat and have a couple cheap drinks lol. I don't really want a touristy or chain type restaurant, I much prefer hole-in-the-wall local places myself.

Thanks!

There is so much to see and do in Merida. There is a local Mercado (market) that is just a block or two southeast of the main city square that's just crazy. If you want authentic, hole in the wall, this is it.

http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/merida-mex-yuc-mrd.htm

Edited by gfh77665

We winter in a small town 5 km east of Progreso, and go to Progreso and Merida frequently.

Progreso is a tourist town on cruise ship days. The vendors are selling mass produced souvenirs. The restaurants tend to be tourist oriented, and several, while not "hole in the wall" such as Eladios and Flamingo serve good food.

In Merida, the shopping is much, much better. There are artesian shops run by the State Government that have excellent products. Another local craft are hammocks, although there is a wide variety of prices and quality. Finally, "Panama hats" are excellent.

http://www.mayadiscovery.com/ing/handicrafts/sombreros.htm

In central Merida there are not many "hole in wall" places to eat, but I like Chaya Maya either on Calle 62 or opposite Parque Santa Lucia.

My suggestion is that Merida is a far more interesting place than Progreso.

Great, thank you! Sounds like we are on the right track with our plans.

One other question, I've asked and been told on Cozumel not to worry about doing a dollars to pesos exchange. Would this also be true in Merida? Should I just carry dollars or should I exchange and have pesos for the shops here?

We winter in a small town 5 km east of Progreso, and go to Progreso and Merida frequently.

Progreso is a tourist town on cruise ship days. The vendors are selling mass produced souvenirs. The restaurants tend to be tourist oriented, and several, while not "hole in the wall" such as Eladios and Flamingo serve good food.

In Merida, the shopping is much, much better. There are artesian shops run by the State Government that have excellent products. Another local craft are hammocks, although there is a wide variety of prices and quality. Finally, "Panama hats" are excellent.

http://www.mayadiscovery.com/ing/handicrafts/sombreros.htm

In central Merida there are not many "hole in wall" places to eat, but I like Chaya Maya either on Calle 62 or opposite Parque Santa Lucia.

My suggestion is that Merida is a far more interesting place than Progreso.

We never use American dollars for our purchases in Progreso/Merida. We always use pesos. I am sure vendors will accept dollars, but be careful of the exchange rate. I have seen vendors offering 10 pesos to the dollar. Today the effective exchange rate at the HSBC in Progreso was 14.4 pesos per dollar including the HSBC terminal fee. Our ATM card (Capitol One) does not have a foreign currency surcharge. My suggestion is to use pesos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi The Graphic1...we are heading out on the Elation Feb 16th stopping at the same ports. Did you find a good place to shop in Progresso? My daughter loves to shop...how was your trip? Cozumel...we plan on going to Chankanaab. Been there before but really enjoy it.

HOW WAS THE WATER TEMP? Any tips you give will be appreciated!!

Thanks