Great Stirrup Cay Private Cabanas

bdaddyiii

I have seen on the NCL website that Great Stirrup Cay has three things listed as coming soon. Expanded Beach Front, New Straw Market, and Private Cabanas. I am trying to find any information regarding the Private Cabanas. When will they be available? How much is the rental for the them? Will you be able to reserve them from the ship or is it going to a race to try and get one? Any information would be greatly

appreciated as this will be my first visit to this island.:cool:

The cabanas should be available now. We had one on our june cruise and it was by far the best money I have ever spent on anything while on a cruise. It makes for a spectacular day.

can you please give me some info on the cabanas? cost, and whats included? is it right by the water? any pictures? large enought for 2 adults and 4 kids?

The cabanas should be available now. We had one on our june cruise and it was by far the best money I have ever spent on anything while on a cruise. It makes for a spectacular day.

Are you sure you are talking about NCL's island and not Carnival's? Just going by your signature, both your 2011 cruises were with Carnival so I'm wondering if you're not referring to the cabanas on Half Moon Cay?

Last I heard, the cabanas on Great Stirrup Cay aren't ready. No idea about cost, amenities, etc. yet. You can rent a clamshell, though, for $29. Whether or not you can get them on the ship vs. waiting until you get to the island seems to depend on the ship.

Hopefully someone who's been there more recently can give an update!

Was at Great Stirrup Cay yesterday, the only cabana type thing was the Clamshell which is simply a canvas crescent shape cover over two lounge chairs. It was $29 per day to rent one.

We were at GSC yesterday as well and this info if correct. We had a clamshell and really enjoyed it but be aware there are 2 types, one with a screen back and one with a canvas back. We had a canvas back and it was kinda hot. They gave us a choice of which clam shell we wanted and we wished we had picked the screen back.

They are going to build cabanas like the Carnival island has. The land is cleared but no construction has begun on them. They are currently building a new Dive In hut.

For those not on the island in a while the improvements are very impressive. Moving the tender landing spot has opened up some of the best beach on the island and made room for a lot more loungers. They have also cleared a nice adults only area past Jerks bar. This area was practically empty and in back of it is where the lifegaurd said the cabanas were going to be. Even further down was another freshly cleared area with huge piles of sand. We never found out what was being done here.

They are going to build cabanas like the Carnival island has. The land is cleared but no construction has begun on them. They are currently building a new Dive In hut.

For those not on the island in a while the improvements are very impressive. Moving the tender landing spot has opened up some of the best beach on the island and made room for a lot more loungers. They have also cleared a nice adults only area past Jerks bar. This area was practically empty and in back of it is where the lifegaurd said the cabanas were going to be. Even further down was another freshly cleared area with huge piles of sand. We never found out what was being done here.

Sounds like they're making good progress! They hadn't started construction on the Cabanas or an adults only area when we were there in March.

We were at GSC yesterday as well and this info if correct. We had a clamshell and really enjoyed it but be aware there are 2 types, one with a screen back and one with a canvas back. We had a canvas back and it was kinda hot. They gave us a choice of which clam shell we wanted and we wished we had picked the screen back.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE UPDATE

I will be there in just one month and cant wait to see all the improvments. Thanks also for the great tip about the screened clamshells.

Butting is with a question:

Never been on a cruise but I know this island is NCL's private island. Is there anything to actually do while there other than lie on the beach or go snorkeling/scuba diving/etc?

kjh9835

Butting is with a question:

Never been on a cruise but I know this island is NCL's private island. Is there anything to actually do while there other than lie on the beach or go snorkeling/scuba diving/etc?

kjh9835

Volleyball, ping pong, straw market, BBQ, music/band, parasailing, kayak, jet skis,.....and much more. :)

I want to post a quick tip if you want shade but don't want to pay $29.

There are two options that I can think of:

1) Take your beach chair to a tree-shaded area. Disadvantages: spots are not near the water. Each of the past 3 times I've been to GSC, I have observed that the trees are vanishing, like a crazy magic trick. So there might not be trees left next time.

2) Bring a $2.99 cheapo beach-umbrella from home and dispose of it when you're done. My 3rd Bahamas cruise was last minute so I forgot to bring one. When we got off at Port Canaveral, we went to a supermarket to get one. Every store at Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, and surround areas have beach umbrellas. usually around $4.99 to $7.99.

Do the clamshells sell out? Is that something we should purchase right away at the excursions desk or can we get it the morning we arrive at the island?

On the Gem in April, you couldn't pre-reserve a clamshell; you had to get one when you hit the beach. The front row does sell out quickly.

On the Gem in April, you couldn't pre-reserve a clamshell; you had to get one when you hit the beach. The front row does sell out quickly.

We were able to reserve one on the Jewel last week at the shore excursion desk. We did it after lunch the day we boarded and I know they were sold out before we got to GSC on Tuesday.

Archived