America's Cup then French/Dutch Tour

mederm33

Is there enough time to get an isand tour (both sides) after doing the America's Cup (AC). We will be on the AOS and it claims the AC tour starts at 10 AM. If not, should we tour St. Marteen and skip the regatta? Also, I have heard that St. Marteen is not the safest place--does anyone care to elaborate? Thanks.

The America's Cup/12 Metre is quite an experience. I'd say go for it if you have any love of the water.

You should still be able to catch a quick tour around the island, but not much time for beach or restaurant stops unless your ship leaves fairly late.

Safety: I suspect that you are thinking of the very recent, quite horrific, assault. There is crime on the island, as everywhere, but it is rarely targeted at day-cruisers, unless you consider having something stolen from your rental car (don't ever leave anything in the car).

Most tourist crimes, like purse snatching, etc. usually occur late evening, and the assault that I'm referring to was a hate-crime at about 3:00 AM.

Go and enjoy the island.

e-mail me through my profile if you would like to discuss further offline.

The America's Cup is the Number One excursion in the Caribbean, so don't miss it. Unfortunately the 10:00am start is not ideal. For best time allocation on the island I would get the very earliest start possible. That leaves you more time for island exploring. You probably won't get out of it until about 1:00p, so you'll have to be quick to see the island. Don't know how many boats are in port, but if it's a wednesday or thursday, you'll likely hit some heavy traffic mid-day. The shortest route would be from Philipsburg to Orient, then depending on available time go to Marigot from there.

As Gary indicated, crime is really not an issue. If you're out wandering at midnight in dark places on your own, you probably need to be careful. Just remember the islands in the Caribbean are third world countries. In the latest news item, this was a "gay-bashing" hate crime. If you're gay and out late at night doing provocative things, you would have a chance of attracting attention to a difficult third-world element ANYWHERE in the Caribbean. Just be careful out there.

The AOS will arrive on a Tuesday. I figure that the AC will last from 10-1 and realistically we will be back at the boat around 1:30 PM. Can we see both sides of the island and return to the boat by 5:00 PM for a 5:30 PM departure? I understand this (AC) is a great excursion, but have also been told how nice St. Marteen is to visit. Please advise. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in your opinions on this idea as well. My wife and I would like to do the AC excursion, but being first- timers in St. Martin we would also like the

general tour. The earliest AC excursion is 10 am and finishes at 1 pm.

Are there many air conditioned vans available to do an island tour at the dock? (for 4 to 6 of us?)

My 76 year-old parents want to go on an island tour with us and I am concerned about their comfort.

Time-wise, can we get around to see the sights without beach time in 2-3 hours max?

Thanks,

Jack

I am interested in your opinions on this idea as well. My wife and I would like to do the AC excursion, but being first- timers in St. Martin we would also like the

general tour. The earliest AC excursion is 10 am and finishes at 1 pm.

Are there many air conditioned vans available to do an island tour at the dock? (for 4 to 6 of us?)

My 76 year-old parents want to go on an island tour with us and I am concerned about their comfort.

Time-wise, can we get around to see the sights without beach time in 2-3 hours max?

Thanks,

Jack

Most of the taxis on the island are mini-vans or larger, and almost all of them are air conditioned.

If you just want an island tour, without stops for beach time and/or shopping, you shouldn't have any problem at all.

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly what we did... America's Cup--wouldn't want to miss it!! Then we took another ship's tour that did both sides of the island in the afternoon with an hour stop at Orient beach and really loved our choices!! It was a full day, but well worth it!! It was so wonderful we are going back on the same itinerary and doing some other things, but don't think we can top that day!! :D

We do ship tours in the afternoons--we can totally relax knowing that if we are late they will hold the ship for us--which has happened more times than I would have thought!! :eek:

<snip>

We do ship tours in the afternoons--we can totally relax knowing that if we are late they will hold the ship for us--which has happened more times than I would have thought!! :eek:

WOW!

How many times?

gary

4 times our tours have been late and the ship has been held. I thought that was a lot considering we've only been on 7 cruises. We've also known several people that have missed their ships. A very costly mistake!! So, we like the comfort, if taking an afternoon excursion, of taking a ship's tour.

Once in Barbados the winds were not cooperating on the way back from a catamaran snorkel. The ship was in a far distance and we weren't gaining much ground. The ship was to sail in 15 minutes. It was a ship's tour so we just sat back and had more rum punch!! It was a glorious day!!

Barbara :D

Hi!

We were on the Caribbean Princess. We did the America's Cup in the morning and then as soon as we got back to the ship we had to go to our next excursion which was a tour to Marigot to shop for a bit, then Orient Beach for an hour or so. I don't know which ship you are on and if it would work out for you but it was a great day!! We were the last ones on the ship, they just had to hold it for a few minutes--that's what is good about taking ship excursions in our opinion!!

Barbara

Archived