Have Any Ships Gone to Israel and Egypt

jhenry1

I believe the last NCL Jade cruise spent 2 days in Haifa instead of docking in Ashod.

We were on Jade November 10 sailing. We just eeked into Israel (15th and 16th). Conflict had just begun, so we were almost in Haifa when tensions hightened - really nowhere for captain to go at that point. I have no doubt in my mind that had it began a day earlier, the captain would have skipped Israel entirely because he could at least made another port for a day and then gotten us to Egypt. But, that said, thankful we did port in Haifa. Ashdod being skipped was entirely understandable - rockets were coming into that area on a regular basis.

We knew what was going on when we exited ship in Haifa and never gave a thought to stay on the ship instead of exploring Israel DIY. But, would not have been comfortable returning to ship in Ashdod (on this date the rockets between Gaza and Israel were really flying). Since we were DIY and knew that other ships had stayed in Haifa last year (those flare ups were minor compared to what went on in Mid November) we had a plan B for getting back to Haifa on Sabbat. We were very thankful that the captain made the decision to stay in Haifa the night before, so we didn't have to check while overnighting in Jerusalem to see if ship moved to Ashdod.

Egypt - no problems. Found the Egyptians very friendly. Well, except for the vendors at Giza.

Given what we experienced would we do it again? In a heartbeat - this is one of the best itineraries out there! Loved every minute!

Our ship docked in Luxor Nov 14 and we went on a post cruise into Luxor and Cairo for three days. Our two nights and days in Cairo were no problem. On Friday (their traditional day off) we drove through Tahir Square during a demonstration. If you go, just use common sense about where you go.

Mainly, has anyone gone lately and not who would not go and why or those who went a long time ago and had a good time (and thank you cruisemom 42 and dabear for your comments). I have been monitoring these threads for a while because we are going to Egypt in a week or so. I want to know who went recently and what their experience was so thank you to those who have given that info. We are going if we can so glad to hear about those who also went.

Are you going by ship to Egypt? If so, given recent unrest it might be wise to have a plan b (including being flexible if the ship must divert). While the protests are limited in area and tour guides and independent travelers could probably avoid the areas impacted (Cairo metropolis is huge), a ship captain still might not port. He has no idea what passengers will do and where they will run off to and cannot control them while in port - so my guess is that they'd probably play it safe.

In our case in Israel - that Captain probably had a sleepless night with passengers scattered on overnights in Israel while the worst of the rockets were going off. However, we went through Tel Aviv twice to switch from train to bus (and vice versa) and really it seemed absolutely normal - despite the fact that some rockets were getting through that far north. The only thing we noticed was enhanced security and army presence around the Old City in Jerusalem on our second day, with some streets closed. As I said previously - we happened on a period of calm in Egypt. Friday holy days seem to be when most of the demonstrations take place in downtown Cairo and we were there on a Saturday/Sunday.

Were just returned from a cruise on the Holy Land Adventure on Queen Elizabeth that departed Athens Saturday (11/17) - were told upon embarkation that we would NOT make the 2 days scheduled stops (11/21-22) in Haifa. Ship schedule was re-arranged - ended up in Rhodes (11/20) and Antalya (11/21) instead. Then we headed South on Friday (11/23) headed towards Egypt, and were turned around the morning we were to dock (11/24) 15 miles short of Alexandria - missed that port too... stopped in Malta instead (evening 11/26 and day 11/27). The next day a storm BLEW in and we missed the port stop in Naples (11/28) due to the weather - and it was questionable whether we would dock on schedule in Rome on the 29th.. but the captain managed to maneuver that behemoth into the dock and we concluded our Odyssey . . .

This is why we may cancel our cruise that is scheduled in may. I know that things happen but with so much unrest in the region I believe we might decide to wait and maybe by next year things will be better. I would be so disappointed if I did not get to do the ports that are on the list. I would hate to spend all that money and then be told at boarding or at the last minute the scheduled has been changed. I know this is always a chance but a lot more likely now with all the turmoil in the region of Egypt and Israel.

I hate to cancel but better now and no disappointments later. I have so been looking forward to this cruise. Who knows maybe by May of next year things wil be fine but if not I stand to lose a lot of money if I want and cancel then.

This helped me to decide to cancel our Regent cruise for next year. Too many uncertainies. Taking a chance and I booked because these are the ports I wanted to go to.

Better to be disappointed now than later and after a lot of money has been spent. Maybe by 2014 things wil settle down.

Hopefully someday we can make it to Egypt and Israel.

Kandy

We were on Jade November 10 sailing. We just eeked into Israel (15th and 16th). Conflict had just begun, so we were almost in Haifa when tensions hightened - really nowhere for captain to go at that point. I have no doubt in my mind that had it began a day earlier, the captain would have skipped Israel entirely because he could at least made another port for a day and then gotten us to Egypt. But, that said, thankful we did port in Haifa. Ashdod being skipped was entirely understandable - rockets were coming into that area on a regular basis.

We knew what was going on when we exited ship in Haifa and never gave a thought to stay on the ship instead of exploring Israel DIY. But, would not have been comfortable returning to ship in Ashdod (on this date the rockets between Gaza and Israel were really flying). Since we were DIY and knew that other ships had stayed in Haifa last year (those flare ups were minor compared to what went on in Mid November) we had a plan B for getting back to Haifa on Sabbat. We were very thankful that the captain made the decision to stay in Haifa the night before, so we didn't have to check while overnighting in Jerusalem to see if ship moved to Ashdod.

Egypt - no problems. Found the Egyptians very friendly. Well, except for the vendors at Giza.

Given what we experienced would we do it again? In a heartbeat - this is one of the best itineraries out there! Loved every minute!

We were indeed very lucky to have made it to Israel and Egypt, weren't we Buggins. We saw tanks being moved around as we were traveling in Israel both days but other than that everything was normal. We switched out itineraries for the two days so we spent many hours in Jerusalem the first day and did not get back on the ship until after 10:30pm. We would have cut it short and miss many sites if we had to go to Jerusalem on the 2nd day as planned. Thanks to GTI for their flexibility.

We only get our money back if we cancel 120 days prior to sailing. After 120 days there is a 15% of the total cruise fare price and it increases closer to the sailing date.

I see that some have made it in to the areas but some cruises have not. we decided to cancel because there is too much uncertainity on a day by day basis and these were the ports we wanted to go to.

too much money to spend and then be diverted to other ports and possibly places we have already been.

I understand it can happen at any time and on any cruise to any area but we felt why take that chance right now with so much going on in the area.

Kandy

We were indeed very lucky to have made it to Israel and Egypt, weren't we Buggins. We saw tanks being moved around as we were traveling in Israel both days but other than that everything was normal. We switched out itineraries for the two days so we spent many hours in Jerusalem the first day and did not get back on the ship until after 10:30pm. We would have cut it short and miss many sites if we had to go to Jerusalem on the 2nd day as planned. Thanks to GTI for their flexibility.

Wow, actually staying Haifa worked out better for you - that's great! I didn't realize that GTI had done that. It would have been a shame to try and do Jerusalem from Haifa second day. You would have been at a dead run through the Old City. Good going GTI!

Have been looking at cruises for next November (our usual travel month). They all seem so dull compared to the Holylands!

120 days is better than us though. The time doesn't matter here. It's one of the grouches we have with Australian TAs. That plus the fact that they charge more for exactly the same cabin as people in the USA get charged.

We will be in Greece before the cruise so I just hope we don't end up back in Santorini. Wouldn't mind Malta or more time in Croatia would be brilliant. $1600 deposit to lose is just too much to change now. If they are going to change I hope they'll let us know soon as we have to organise our own Egyptian visas because being non Americans Princess will not advise us if they will get one and they say contact the consulate. Who have said we need to get one precruise and will cost all up around $300 as we have to use a dedicated courier. I have until May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

E302 - Oceana leaving uk on 6th Feb '13.

Ashdod has been cancelled and we are now to spend two days in Haifa with the Ashdod tours run from there. We will not go to Jerusalem from Haifa as it will involve a very long journey. A day 'on the loose' in Haifa sounds on the cards.

Two Egyptian ports scheduled (Alexandria and Port Said) and they have not been altered .... as yet! I suspect any change would be a last minute decision. P&O will loose a lot of revenue from tours if we do not stop at those ports.

Regarding previous conversation on loosing deposit. We loose deposit we cancel a cruise just because we want to do so, but sometimes it is possible to change for another cruise with just an admin charge if there is a long time to go before the cruise - about 3 months I think - but that is at the discretion of the cruise/holiiday operator.

We were on the A & K land and Nile Cruise. We were there the week before and first weekend voting of the referendum. While tourism is way down, there were tourists from everywhere in Cairo and on the Nile. We saw tour boat passengers all over the Giza plateau. Things could always go bad but tour guides and tourist police are very protective of all of us who come and glad to see us. By the way, our private tour guide took us to Tahrir Square on a Friday afternoon-there were many protesters but it was a peaceful protest-not like at the presidential palace. Other than the Egyptian Museum (not a problem), most things you see in Cairo are not near protest areas and traffic conditions are normal congestion.

Do not miss a chance to see at least Giza and some of Cairo if your ship stops in Egypt. Giza and the Pyramids are great but if time and funds allow, consider a trip to Luxor, Aswan, or Abu Simbel-even better sights!

Just back from a Red Sea cruise, we had no inconvenience or danger in Egypt caused by the political situation, all plain-sailing. ..... but some cruise lines are more jumpy than others. Currently, if your ship ports there's no problem.

JB :)

tvmovielover

The P&O ships excursions where never scheduled to visit Cairo - so no Egyptian museum these days, just the pyramids. As we are from the UK It will be easier to make a land trip sometime and spend a few days in the Cairo area rather than waste 6 hours doing a round trip journey from the ship. Alexandria sounds interesting and someone has said that it is interesting on deck in Port Said as you see the ships going in/out of Suez. It will also be one of the warmest ports in the February itinerary, so a bit of sun and a wander through the town (if we are allowed) sounds good to us as it is pretty cold here at present. But you are right Cairo should be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. We are scheduled to make an overnight stop in Haifa on our Jade cruise in March. I was very interested in what you did on the stop in Haifa. We also prefer to "do it ourselves" and are trying to decide whether to go to Jerusalem or to stay in Haifa. Thank you.

Hello. We are scheduled to make an overnight stop in Haifa on our Jade cruise in March. I was very interested in what you did on the stop in Haifa. We also prefer to "do it ourselves" and are trying to decide whether to go to Jerusalem or to stay in Haifa. Thank you.

Hi, & welcome to Cruise Critic.

Jerusalem can be done but it's a couple of hours from Haifa. Guessing your ship won't be calling at Ashdod.

Depending on your port times, probably best by renting a car & overniting in a Jerusalem hotel. You can join a free (just tip the guide) walking tour of the walled city http://www.newjerusalemtours.com/

There'll be van drivers at the cruise terminal offering day trips, possibly Jerusalem, but most popular is a trip to Nazareth, Cana (water into wine), a kibbutz, River Jordan baptisms, Tiberias/Sea of Galilee, back to the ship about 7pm. Excellent, don't remember the cost per person but certainly reasonable, shekels or euros.

Or Tel Aviv, or a tour tailored to your needs if you can get a group to agree.

Acre (various spellings) by train or taxi is just a short distance up the coast, has an impressive crusaders castle, ideal for a shorter day.

BTW, this is quite an old thread & with an inappropriate title & might not be re-visted by others. So it's well worth starting a new thread (very easy) titled something like "DIY ideas from Haifa?

JB :)

We are taking a cruise in Nov. from Istanbul to Dubai. It sounds very exciting. However, I too am concerned about the political climate in Israel and Egypt. I will decide in July whether to cancel and choose another cruise possilby from Dubai to Singapore or Sydney or Hong Kong.

Archived