Taking medication aboard, question..

teknoge3k

I have a medication I take twice a day for seizures. I typically keep my pills in one of the little pill organizers to help me remember to take them/if I've taken them. Can I bring my medicine in this on board, or do I have to have it in the original RX bottle? How does customs handle medicines?

I have a medication I take twice a day for seizures. I typically keep my pills in one of the little pill organizers to help me remember to take them/if I've taken them. Can I bring my medicine in this on board, or do I have to have it in the original RX bottle? How does customs handle medicines?

Typically, you are supposed to have any prescribed medications in the original bottles. Many people don't.

I do. But we tend to take long cruises and it requires me to refill my daily pill minder a couple of times. So I bring all my meds in their original bottles.

I have never heard of anyone having medications taken from them. I keep all medicines, including prescriptions in my carry on, which goes through security scanners at check in. If you pack them without the bottles, make sure to take a copy of the prescription print out that you get from the pharmacist each time you get a refill.

The ship doesn't care or examine your medications, unless it's something illegal that is caught somehow (some ports have specially trained dogs).

How customs handles things depends on what country you're talking about. Some are very strict, others not so much. Look for the official government customs/immigration website for whatever country you're concerned about. There will probably be a section that tells you what is prohibited. Some people will tell you that they never pay attention to the supposed restrictions and have never had any problem, but if you're concerned enough to ask the question here, you're probably one of those who wants to do it right and according to the regulations.

The only place we've been that was a little intimidating upon reading the restrictions was Australia. It said we needed original containers, a copy of the doctor's prescription and/or a letter signed by the doctor, etc. for certain medications. Twice now we've had everything they said we needed and dutifully checked the box on the entry form stating that we were carrying prescription meds. In both cases, our line was shorter than the line of people who claimed they had nothing to declare and we were simply waved on through.

I too have never heard of any issues bringing your meds in the daily organizer on or off the ship. But if you were flying it is strongly recommended to either keep in the original bottle or have a copy of the scrip for any narcotics (or the "little blue pill"). I see you are sailing from Charleston so I don't know if there are currently any issues with local enforcement in SC, or between there and Virginia if you are driving to your cruise. Here in Florida the anti-"pill mill" laws will put quite a crimp in your day if a local LEO finds even a single loose pill in your vehicle--something to consider for anyone driving down to their cruise

I take Tegretol for seizures so it's nothing major and I don't think anyone would want it. However I know druggies like to take anything that resembles a pill. I am in Virginia but live at the NC state line. I think I'll avoid any potential questions by keeping it in the original container. I will just take my empty organizer and fill it up once I am on the ship and empty it as I get off. :)

Thanks everyone for the help!

It may depend on where you are sailing.

But I've use two solutions.

One my chemist/pharmacy will make my tablets up in Webster Packs, each pack is labeled and each meal as a days worth. Never had an issue that way.

Or

Take them in their bottles/packets whatever

And take my container separate and dish them out once on board.

When I pack I merely toss each original bottle of pills in a gal-size ziplock bag and toss that in my carry-on bag. I've never had a problem with my meds no matter where I've sailed, but then I've only sailed in the Western Hemisphere.

The reality is that out of 100 cruses and hundred of flights we have never had an issue if we didn't carry pills in their original containers.

With that said, the TSA site does recommend that you carry them in their original bottles.

So, if you want to be 100% safe just do that. If the original containers are too large ask your local pharmacist if they can also give you one smaller bottle with the pharmacy sticker on the bottle the that you can use for your prescription medicine.

Keith

My DH takes 12 different RX and some of these bottles are very large. I take a picture of each bottle with a pill next to it, take a picture of each actual prescription and store in my phone. I also carry these as paper documents should I need to explain anything. Depending on the length of the cruise I "Usually" put his pill in daily pill keepers or tiny daily baggies. (In zip lock bags)

I try not to bring the actual bottles because the are so many bottles.

Be sure and research the countries you are visiting or when flying transiting. Some drugs that a legal in the US are banned and illegal in other countries. So do your research!

Note: Japan has some banned RX that are regularly prescribed in the country so beware!

Take all RX in your carry on, do NOT pack in your checked bag!

Edited by JVilleGal

I have never heard of anyone having medications taken from them. I keep all medicines' date=' including prescriptions in my carry on, which goes through security scanners at check in. If you pack them without the bottles, make sure to take a copy of the prescription print out that you get from the pharmacist each time you get a refill.[/quote']

I put all my medications in one large old rx pill bottle, then take a list. We have traveled for years internationally, no one has ever asked about the medications. I always have them in my carry on.

Yesterday, I got an email from a friend. His BIL had a prescription confiscated because his name was not on the bottle. He had taken a few pills from a larger bottle and put them into a smaller bottle which happened to have someone else's name on it. This other person was not on the trip.

Since we have no choice but to fly to cruise, all medications are kept in their original bottles.

I have a small medical bag that I keep all the prescriptions in. My DH takes 17 different medications (I take only 3) and some of them he takes 2 and 3 times a day. Over the course of a day he takes medications 5 times. Those pill containers don't work for him.

Several times since 9/11, TSA has opened up the medical bag and glanced at all the bottles.

Our drug store automatically puts all medications in small bottles no matter whether we are traveling or not. Some of DH's medications end up in 4 bottles. I take as many bottles as needed depending on the length of the cruise.

Yesterday, I got an email from a friend. His BIL had a prescription confiscated because his name was not on the bottle. He had taken a few pills from a larger bottle and put them into a smaller bottle which happened to have someone else's name on it. This other person was not on the trip.

I think your BIL's friend is full of it! Just does not happen as no one takes the time to read labels. JMHO

The customs Dog @ Black Falcons gangway found D.W.'s Prescription bottle for pain in about 1 min. ;)

Last I heard those dogs are trained to smell out food and illegal drugs and an occasional bomb or 3 ;)

I'm not sure my bottle of Vicodin would fall into that category! Just sayin

We have flown to several cruises, flown home from several cruises, have flown to visit relatives in Hawaii at least five times. We have been on a dozen cruises.

I put my drugs, both OTC and prescription in the daily pill pouches that one can buy at most pharmacies. No one, not customs, not port security, not ship security, not TSA twinkies, not even the guys in evil Franco era uniforms in Spain, has given them a second thought. I had issues with a TSA twinkie at Houston's Bush airport over a peppermint candy, but not over my pills.

Doc:p

I also take medication and it is the first thing I pack. I need this more than anything else. The most important thing is to carry it in your carry on. I really don't think the cruise line cares how you bring it on the ship. I always bring it in the original pill bottles. I put all the bottles in a ziplock bag to keep them together. However you decide to do it, have fun on your cruise.

The factual answer to your question is no. You do not have to. There is no federal law saying you do. The only thing written in federal law is that you must be able show proof of prescription for controlled substances. The bottles are easiest, but you can also carry the labels/papers.

Every now and then, you'll read a story of someone's cousin's uncle's friend's daughter getting jammed up at TSA but the fact remains there is no such federal law.

As for TSA, their job is transportation safety, not policing controlled substances. TSA does not have law enforcement authority. If they do hassle you, just simply demand they bring over a law enforcement officer.

I once had a TSA Official question my jewelry pouch in my carry on. She wanted to remove it and send it back through x-ray with me now on the other side of x-ray. I refused to permit that and suggested if she needed to inspect my jewelry (which showed up on the initial x-ray, she should take a bin, empty out the jewelry pouch and look at whatever she wished. After a grunt and a moan, she opened my carryon and on top saw a Ziploc bag with all my Rx bottles. She firmly said to me it was a good thing I had those pills in Rx fully labeled pharmacy bottles or she would be confiscating them.

I don't know what her authority or 'charge' is but I do know I don't want to be the traveler standing there arguing with any official about my doctor prescribed, pharmacy provided necessary medications. (I also did not want my jewelry pouch with some valuable pieces being out of my sight and control. It would be so easy for it to have gotten lost somehow.)

If you want to be that person, fine. Go for it.

It won't be the first time we have heard a security person exceeded their authority.

Edited by sail7seas