QM2 Propulsion Issues?

Underwatr

Someone on the current Carribean voyage has mentioned in another thread a problem with ship's propulsion that appears to have affected the itinerary. Someone else in that thread says the ship has slowed significantly off Puerto Rico en route to Amber Cove (which may be per plan for all I know).

Can anyone on board provide some info or insight? We'll be boarding the next Caribbean trip in a little over a month so while there's not much we will/can do about it, it might be good to know.

Don't panic. It will not affect the NY to Soptn trip.

I will keep the board posted.

How do you know that for sure :confused: and I'm on that crossing :cool:

PS - both Sea Scanner and AIS show her currently ripping along at 18.8 knots so I'm guessing the superglue is holding.

Edited by Winchester Ranger

The Captain has just said that they have not been able to fix the problem so far. They do not know the cause of the problem. They tested it two hours ago and the pod went into "alarm".

Arrival tomorrow is in question.

P

We are sailing on QM2 this coming

Wednesday - any updates would be appreciated.

Does anyone on board have updates regarding the propulsion pod problem QM2 is having in the Caribbean this week. We are sailing on her next Wednesday. Can she still cross the Atlantic with one less pod. I seem to remember she has in the past..

I was on board QM2 in September 2006 when she did a six-night WB crossing on three pods...

(the fourth pod had been removed in June that year, and was refitted in November).

If this helps... ;)

Edited by pepperrn

I need to know what exactly is the concern you have about this propulsion issue with QM2. Do you really expect a great delay or a cancellation? I certainly do not. She has enough backup reserve as to power / speed.

I hardly expect that you will get any official communication from Cunard concerning this, but you might.

Otherwise, do not fret, and in the meantime read and learn about QM2's propulsion system here:

http://www.beyondships.com/QM2-art-Watling.html

I think we live in an age where people prefer to remain informed.

Speaking of which - any more updates ?

Informed about what exactly? The technical nature of the issue?

You really do not want to hear from folks on QM2 who heard "this" or heard "that". The last thing you need is hearsay.

You should only expect to be informed by Cunard, and only then if it will cause a problem (delay) to your upcoming cruise.

Otherwise, no news is good news. Folks just get uptight over this stuff, and I just don't understand why.:cool:

Again, read my link above and learn about the ship.

I'm with Lou. At the current "idle" speeds for TAs, she could probably make a 7/8 day on two pods. What this shows up is that, despite the plusses of much more useable interior hull space (revenue earning) and much more maneuverability (no tugs), the pods have been proven considerably more wear and maintenance needy than the traditional shaft/propeller arrangements. Pods simply do not last as long without overhaul, especially if used at or near top speed. If they were the be all, do all, they would be on Naval ships. :eek::D

Great link, loubetti! I am not usually very geeky about mechanics but this was fascinating.

Some good bits -

"We needed four because we needed the power to propel the ship at the contract speed of 29 and a half knots. These pods were designed to give that speed."

In 2006, one of the pods was damaged in a collision with an underwater object. As a result, it was removed for repair and for most of the year the ship ran on three pods. "It was amazing how we

really did not lose that much off the top-end speed. She could still do 27 and a half knots on three pods. It was quite impressive, really."

The four pod arrangement makes QM2 more maneuverable in such situations than ships with only two pods. The two fixed pods give the ship forward and aft thrust. Therefore, both azipods can be turned and used for lateral movement. On a ship with only two pods, "they keep one [azipod] fore

and aft and they use the other one to move the ship sideways. This is more flexible."

The entire interview makes good reading.

Informed about what exactly? The technical nature of the issue?

You really do not want to hear from folks on QM2 who heard "this" or heard "that". The last thing you need is hearsay.

You should only expect to be informed by Cunard, and only then if it will cause a problem (delay) to your upcoming cruise.

Otherwise, no news is good news. Folks just get uptight over this stuff, and I just don't understand why.:cool:

Again, read my link above and learn about the ship.

Yes, I really do want to hear from passengers on board. I appreciated "live from" posts relating to day-to-day occurrences about things like tonight's entertainment, but also as relates to unusual events like changes in itinerary, etc.

From my observation of having read this forum for years, the posts made by members on board have a high degree of accuracy, eschewing sensationalism. Certainly, that is my goal when posting from on-board and I'm sure that goal is shared by most.

Hope that members will continue to post from on board and keep us updated as best they can... I appreciate their efforts. :)

Cheers,

Salacia

My prediction? This will all shortly be much ado about nothing, and the next voyage will take place as scheduled. If I were on that voyage, I would only be interested, not concerned, worried, or anything of the kind.

Right now I am more interested in why people are so concerned about what is in the big scheme of things hardly worth the time of day to write about.

She's run on 3 pods before, even with one removed from her.

Don't sell QM2 short as to what she can do, and she doesn't need to do much considering these lethargic speeds she runs at on most of her voyages.

Sorry folks, but many of you are just not grasping me on this.

Two of the pods rotate 360 degrees and the remaining two are fixed at 0 azimuth. If the problem is with one of the rotating pods that may affect the ship's ability to maneuver into and out of a docking position without the aid of one or more tugs. The one Caribbean port that concerns me in particular is St Thomas since it has to turn in place to align with the dock and turn again at the end of the day to depart.

For all I know the ship is capable of maneuvering to the dock with one Azipod but I don't know that. I can't do anything about it but I'm wondering whether it will affect any of the Caribbean ports.

Since I started the thread it has become apparent that the ship is capable of making way to maintain schedule between ports but the question of maneuvering remains, at least to me.

I really think some people are overreacting to the questions posed by those of us who will be on the next sailing. The heading of this thread suggested that there could be issues and naturally some of us would initially be concerned. I'm sure most of us also realize that if there was a genuine problem Cunard would contact us.

Please don't jump down our throats because we are asking for information.