Would You Bail?

nealstuber

If you left the Spirit due to a Bomb threat would you expect...  

397 members have voted

1. 1. If you left the Spirit due to a Bomb threat would you expect...

• Your money back?
    • A full credit for a future cruise?
    • A small credit.
    • Nothing

Would you have left the Spirit Saturday night...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=632139

It is hard to speculate from the cozy confines of my home office. Since it was just a one nighter I would have probably gotten off the ship and headed to a hotel. If it was a longer cruise I would have left the ship, given the conceirge my cell number and told him/her to call when all was good.

As far as the poll goes, again since it was a one nighter I would want future cruise credit for the full amount. It was not NCL's fault but goodwill goes a long way.

Maybe as a New Yorker my expectations are different. We live in a state of vigilance that is probably a bit higher than most parts of the country. I would not have gotten off (I wont allow terrorists to change my behavior) and it would be nice and very customer service oriented if a small credit was given, but I don't think anything was owed. It was NOT NCL's fault and no one was injured. Just my two cents.

No. I would have waited to see if there were any reason to leave.

I don't think anybody really knows what they would do until they actually experience something like this. Truthfully, I am going on the ON next Saturday and hope I don't have to make a similar choice.

Janet

Its hard to say until you are in that situation which I hope I never am it sounds like NCL did the right thing the police were called and they let those who wanted to get off do so once it was cleared with the NYPD not like some airlines where you could be in lock down for hours:eek: with that said if I was freaked I'd get right off and they could keep the money.

Results are preliminary, and entirely unscientific, but from the looks of the poll, it looks like NCL would fail to meet the expecations of just 40% of the folks in the situation!

Surely those folks will realize they are in the minority, never utter a bad word about NCL, and pledge their cruise loyalty to the line!:D

NCL just got bought out so I'm sure they don't need 40% of their customers.

Would you have left the Spirit Saturday night...
Not quite sure why anyone should have thought to leave the ship at all. Wouldn't everything have been happening as normal on board, regardless of whether the ship was going to sail anywhere? If I'd paid for the night on board, I'd have had it come what may!

Oops, I posted in the linked thread... My answer was 'No'. I would have trusted the authorities to evacuate if it was necessary and otherwise made the best of my cruise. It was a one night cruise... I can't see how leaving port three hours late would have interfered with my planned experience - I'm not a gambler.

NYFlush, I actually feel very confident about knowing how I would react to this particular situation. For many, I would agree that it's not possible to know until you're 'right there', but for others, like this one, I know myself very well, and I have no problem saying with no doubt that I would have stayed put and enjoyed myself until the situation changed.

Neal, you're absolutely right. NCL doesn't need 40% of their customers. In fact, it's a well known statistic in business that 20% of customers generate 80% of profit... so they can spare more than 40% if they come from that bottom group of nonprofitables! You're so focused on NCL (or whomever) trying to please every customer to the absolute best of their potential ability... but it really isn't feasible, nor is it necessarily good business.

• Administrators

I think the most interesting result in this poll is the nearly 12% who would expect a full refund for their choice not to go, in these circumstances. If there are seriously people who think that's appropriate "compensation," there isn't a business on earth who could (or I suspect would even bother trying to) make them "happy."

NCL doesn't need 40% of their customers. In fact, it's a well known statistic in business that 20% of customers generate 80% of profit... so they can spare more than 40% if they come from that bottom group of nonprofitables! You're so focused on NCL (or whomever) trying to please every customer to the absolute best of their potential ability... but it really isn't feasible, nor is it necessarily good business.

I am quite sure that NCL generated a very nice profit from our previous two cruises. You will find many, many positive comments from me on the CCL, and X Boards and those lines also made a nice profit with a good repeat depth. We pay full fare for our kids to have extra floor space, gamble, take the ships' shore excusions, play bingo, and drink way too much.:D We have contributed to at least 6 other families' decsion to take their first cruise.

Obviously NCL went to the same customer service school you did and placed me in the 80% that they do not need. The many customer service courses I've taken talked about the ripple effect that one complaint can have and also how "problems" can become opportunities to earn and develop customer loyalty if handled correctly. My personal experience has shown they have not learned the 2nd lesson and their poor handling of the well publicized 1 nighter shows that they "missed the boat" on the 1st lesson.

Strange that they would spend so much money on advertising to attract customers when they don't need them.

Not a cheerleader here for NCL by a long shot but I would not have asked for my money back. I would have waited it out. Was not the cruise lines fault about this bomb thread. All cruise lines have their weakness. Usually the only ones wanting their money back are the same ones that go through life blaming everyone else for their troubles.

I don't think anybody really knows what they would do until they actually experience something like this. Truthfully, I am going on the ON next Saturday and hope I don't have to make a similar choice.

Janet

Actually, janchris, I DO know that I would not leave until told by the cruise staff to do so.

Actually, janchris, I DO know that I would not leave until told by the cruise staff to do so.

As some one said on another thread, the people in the WTC were told it was safe to stay.....I don't necessarily trust what is the government says in a crisis. i.e Katrina, Galveston ship explosions etc. but I do have more trust in the NYPD if they wanted the ship evacuated it would have been, As I said above I probably would have left the ship and then returned when it was cleared. But I would not have expected a f\refund unless the shp was evacuated and did not sail.

Obviously NCL went to the same customer service school you did and placed me in the 80% that they do not need.

Neal, I think you missed my point. Based on what you've said, NCL has always treated you well, until recently you had a bad experience with your certificates. So, while I agree that they did drop the ball and are not handling your situation well, it appears that you've decided that they can no longer provide good service in any way and are finding fault wherever you can and making a point to post about it.

As for the customer service school I attended, I had no idea you were aware of my academic history. Are you familiar with my entire curriculum vitae, or just the customer service classes - some of which, I might add, did include the ideas that you referred to. I know nothing about your education or experience, but I can assure you that I am actually quite experienced with keeping customers happy in the work I do. You are the one that suggested that NCL didn't need 40% of their customers (although the eye witness reports have much fewer passengers actually leaving the ship), so I quoted the statistic. If you really want to get into a debate about customer service and what would be the best recourse in given situations, I think that's an entirely different discussion, and I would want a lot more information. In the meantime, I stand by my opinion that expecting any business to bend over backwards to keep ALL their customers happy is not only unfeasible, it's impossible.

Neal, I...Based on what you've said, NCL has always treated you well, until recently you had a bad experience with your certificates.

The closing lines of that post said "unfortunately this re-enforces" our previous experience with NCL.

I would agree with your assement that NCL has treated me "well." Well, as in "not sick."

On these boards, I have cited numerous examples where NCL has done as little as possible in various situations as well as circumstances where other lines have largely exceed our expectations. This is why, if we were to rate the quality of the 13 cruises we've taken, the NCL Crown and Star would be at the bottom of the list.

You are the one that suggested that NCL didn't need 40% of their customers (although the eye witness reports have much fewer passengers actually leaving the ship), so I quoted the statistic.

I said NCL was not meeting the expectations of 40% of the poll respondents.

I also said that it was not right to categorize the folks who walked of the Spirit last night, (whatever the final percentage is) as bad customers.

Archived