Excursion with a 3 year old?

mom063

We are a young couple going on a 15 day Princess cruise in Nov. We have a three year old and was wondering if anybody could recommend excursion that are ok with a stroller or very little walking. This is our fist cruise and we want to do things that can only be done in Hawaii.

Thanks for your helpclear.png?emoji-cool-1690

We are a young couple going on a 15 day Princess cruise in Nov. We have a three year old and was wondering if anybody could recommend excursion that are ok with a stroller or very little walking. This is our fist cruise and we want to do things that can only be done in Hawaii.

Thanks for your helpclear.png?emoji-cool-1690

I would ask specifically in the Hawaii section or the section for whatever ports you are stopping. More people will probably have helpful info

Get a guidebook on Hawaii...there is SO much to see and do...but how easy something "walking" will be depends on your ports! Really...read up on Hawaii...and after you get an "over-view" and decide what things you're interested in, come back and ask HOW to do that, if the book isn't clear.

Many things require NO excursion at all!

I did that cruise with my twins when they were four and it was one of our all-time favorites. So relaxing. You can find all the information you need on the ports of call boards here. We had some wonderful days - one day we were able to walk to the beach and rent umbrellas/chairs; one day we rented a car (the car rental place sends someone to pick you up at the port - super easy and we were able to visit the volcano, rain forest and Dole plant); etc. If you post that you're looking for stroller friendly activities, the folks on the Hawaii board will give you great ideas. Keep in mind that the ship sometimes has to miss a port due to currents (we didn't get into Maui), so don't put off getting any supplies you need. Maui was our last port before crossing back and those who were counting on getting diapers, wipes, Hawaii souvenirs, etc., were out of luck.

Have a great time!

We took our kid at 3 to the Baltics, and he loved everything. The Hawaii boards would be very helpful for ideas, and another resource is to look at the ship tours for ideas. You should not take a small child on a ship tour if you can avoid it, since you don't want to be trapped anywhere with an unhappy child. You can ask on the Hawaii board or look on trip advisor to find private tour operators who can duplicate ship tours often at less cost. That way you can control the itinerary, if your kid melts down you can take them back to the ship, and you can stay at places longer your child enjoys and leave other places more quickly if it isn't working for your child.

Also, bring sealed boxes of cereal off the ship for a quick and easy snack (assuming they let you take anything off the ship in Hawaii. You can usually take sealed cereal boxes - not fruit from the buffet - off the ship, as far as I know everywhere except for Australia. But check your dailies to see if there is any posting about all food being banned.) I'd let my preschooler pick a new cereal whenever he started to get whiny and it would distract him and he'd become happy again.

I would ask specifically in the Hawaii section or the section for whatever ports you are stopping. More people will probably have helpful info

posted this first on that board and they told me to try here lol

• 3 weeks later...

Generally speaking, in any port you are better off doing independent excursions. Rent a car and drive or hire a driver. Do not board a big bus and sight see with 40 other people. Ship excursions just don't have the flexibility you often need when traveling with kids. Sometimes you just need to call it a day and return to the ship...NOW

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I can’t speak specifically to that port. When my youngest was 18 months we cruised & stopped in Cabo. We rented a boat for our family of 5 so we could adapt if needed. Worked great. Scenic ride, feeding the fish, hubby & older kids snorkeled while little one and I had a snack on the boat. Pulled up to beach & “swam” a bit. Brought his puddle jumper and a float toy he liked.

Last summer in Costa Rica he was three. He came for most our our adventures over the two weeks we were there. Including snorkeling. Rented a boat for us. Did fishing & snorkel. For snorkeling we brought a clear bottom raft from Amazon & he wore his puddle jumper. We clipped a few toys to raft. He looked at fish and played in the raft as I towed him along while I snorkeled. If course we had calm and clear waters and guide with us so that made it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t speak specifically to that port. When my youngest was 18 months we cruised & stopped in Cabo. We rented a boat for our family of 5 so we could adapt if needed. Worked great. Scenic ride, feeding the fish, hubby & older kids snorkeled while little one and I had a snack on the boat. Pulled up to beach & “swam” a bit. Brought his puddle jumper and a float toy he liked.

Last summer in Costa Rica he was three. He came for most our our adventures over the two weeks we were there. Including snorkeling. Rented a boat for us. Did fishing & snorkel. For snorkeling we brought a clear bottom raft from Amazon & he wore his puddle jumper. We clipped a few toys to raft. He looked at fish and played in the raft as I towed him along while I snorkeled. If course we had calm and clear waters and guide with us so that made it easier.

All my kids love adventure. We’ve always just brought them along (planning for their age but also letting them experience the excitement of the vacation)

Edit- he also “surfed” with us ... mostly beach time while me & kids had surfing lesson and hubby watched him on beach. He got a surfboard ride at the end. dd99942569eff22641fbd1ffb7a31f80.jpg6788370cb3ff5c17dcdb52dd6b1aec98.jpg8e55b5c46b1f823123278eaef6b88d74.jpg