Mazatlan Stone Island Victors

paulagualalala

Anyone have info on Stone Island and Victors shrimp in Maz? I read a post that you take a small ferry boat to the island and spend the day at the beach, hang out at Victors and eat some garlic-y shrimp. Where do you pick up the ferry? Far from the cruise terminal?

Anyone have info on Stone Island and Victors shrimp in Maz? I read a post that you take a small ferry boat to the island and spend the day at the beach, hang out at Victors and eat some garlic-y shrimp. Where do you pick up the ferry? Far from the cruise terminal?

Leave the gates of the cruise terminal and turn left...walk a few blocks and you come to the end of the street....you either turn left or right...but this is where you will see a small dirt road straight in front of you...walk down this road, a short walk and you will see the taxi ferry shack....buy your ferry tickets here and get in one of the boats and it is about 2 or 3 mins. to Stone Is.....walk directly over the small hill and you will see the beach with all the beach bars and such....Victors is a pretty good walk down the beach but well worth it.....walking on the beach barefooted just be sure to watch out for these....see photo

2700323620069949464S425x425Q85.jpg

Ouch! Don't want to step on one of those! Thanks for the info. When you get to the beach, is Victors to the right or left? Maybe there is only one direction you can go but thought I'd ask. So as I understand it, no taxi is necessary (except the water taxi). Sounds pretty simple and a good way to spend the day.

The walk down to the water taxi's is not too bad a walk....just a little harder coming back after a few too many drinks and hard day of playing....you are on a beach, so everything will be on your left going to Victors......I have a lot of photo on the webshots link in my signature...they are in the Sapphire Princess album....we were there the last week of this Oct.

2685112740069949464S500x500Q85.jpg

This is Victors....and the shrimp and Pacifico beer is great!

2468369420069949464S500x500Q85.jpg

Edited by hogwildcruzers

Getting to Stone Island was a breeze following the directions posted above!!!!!

We followed those and eventually ended up at Lety's which is right next to Victors. You will see posts about Victors, Lety's and Molokay. All are right in the same area. The place you choose will probably be contingent on the availability of beach chairs.

We stayed there for about 4 hours eating shrimp (both Garlic and Coconut), quesadillas, home made tortillas, drinking buckets of beers and sodas. The Margaritas are made from squeezed limes and mineral water (really good!!). Literally, the four of us ate too much, drank too much and sunned for about $40.:D:D:D:D

An absolutely great day!!!!!!!

The walk down to the water taxi's is not too bad a walk....just a little harder coming back after a few too many drinks and hard day of playing....you are on a beach, so everything will be on your left going to Victors......I have a lot of photo on the webshots link in my signature...they are in the Sapphire Princess album....we were there the last week of this Oct.

2685112740069949464S500x500Q85.jpg

This is Victors....and the shrimp and Pacifico beer is great!

2468369420069949464S500x500Q85.jpg

Thank you for the informative posts. My question is do they have water and beach activities going on at Stone Island? I am spending my 50th birthday in Mazatlan with my DH and two sons, ages 24 & 26. They will need something more to do while I am eating, drinking, relaxing & just plain partying.

Do you know if there is anywhere close by Victor's that might do on the beach massages?

Thanks so much for you help. jannyb

Thanks Hogwildcruzers and everyone else that posted about experiences. I think Stone Island is a must do. I know we will have a great time and hope we make it back to the ship on time!:eek:

Hogwildcruzers - Great Pictures too, thanks for sharing.

We are heading back to Stone Island in late April and can't wait! We, too, hung out at Victor's most of the day with me drinking Pacifico's and us eating garlic shrimp. We, also, met some wonderful island natives that live just behind Victor's and had a fantastic time hanging out with them in their palapa. The beach is beautiful. Since Victor's is towards the end of the beach buildings, it's very easy to stroll down the empty beach lined with palm trees. Randi's Happy Horses is a great adventure, too. I wish my back would allow me to ride again but then I wouldn't be walking afterwards for a few days! The above directions are correct in getting there. After departing the water taxi you can walk down to the left a little farther and then turn up the street to the right and you will be closer to Victor's from the backside instead of having to walk down the beach. You will definitely enjoy it, I know we did and will again!

Here's that wonderful empty beach going away from the beach restaurants.

100_1041.jpg

We are heading back to Stone Island in late April and can't wait! We, too, hung out at Victor's most of the day with me drinking Pacifico's and us eating garlic shrimp. We, also, met some wonderful island natives that live just behind Victor's and had a fantastic time hanging out with them in their palapa. The beach is beautiful. Since Victor's is towards the end of the beach buildings, it's very easy to stroll down the empty beach lined with palm trees. Randi's Happy Horses is a great adventure, too. I wish my back would allow me to ride again but then I wouldn't be walking afterwards for a few days! The above directions are correct in getting there. After departing the water taxi you can walk down to the left a little farther and then turn up the street to the right and you will be closer to Victor's from the backside instead of having to walk down the beach. You will definitely enjoy it, I know we did and will again!

Here's that wonderful empty beach going away from the beach restaurants.

100_1041.jpg

Please post when you get back. I will be going in May, and want go to Stone Island.

PJ

Victors was great! We just got back from our Sapphire Princess cruise and visited Victors. We walked from the port (that was a bit scary), took the water taxi and walked down to Victors. Had a seat and stayed there most of the day, with little breaks to hit the water.

A couple things - the directions I found here were great. It was easy to get to, and not much of a walk. HOWEVER, getting through the hoards of sales people and taxi drivers was a pain! There were lots of folks selling stuff. But they were pretty good when you told them no.

The garlic shrimp and coconut shrimp is great!! I highly recommend it. There is a lot of shade.

Also, I don't remember who posted the spiky shell, but we found one!! Thankfully, not in our feet, but picked it up, and that would hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple things - the directions I found here were great. It was easy to get to, and not much of a walk. HOWEVER, getting through the hoards of sales people and taxi drivers was a pain! There were lots of folks selling stuff. But they were pretty good when you told them no.

Were these the people that you had to walk through to get out to the street off of the ship or were these people actually over on Stone Island? When we were there in 2006, there were'nt very many vendors on the beach, which made it all the nicer over there. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. I'm licking my chomps for that garlic shrimp and coconut shrimp! I can't wait until April!

Stunned - They don't serve hard alcohol on Stone Island, it's prohibited except by special license. In other words, the beach restaurants there can't do it but the cruise ship sponsored excursions to there can bring there own as they offer an all you can drink bar. There has been word that if you bring a bottle they will mix one for you but I'm not sure if that is true. Sucking on those Pacificos under Victor's beach umbrellas on a lounge chair was just perfect for me!

Your photos are very good - I really enjoyed them! I wish I could have enlarged every one, but my DSL service is too darn slow. However, I enlarged many and they were a great overview of the ship and the ports of call.

Just curious, where was photo DSC_0244 taken? Also, when were the photos on p. 17 of the dolphins and pool taken that showed the empty deck chairs?

Thanks for sharing!

Will the ferry boat take dollars or should we get pesos? Also, about how much for the ferry, beer and garlic shrimp.

Thanks

The round trip for the ferry boat (really just a little dingy that has about 4 or 5 bench seats) used to be $1.50 a couple of years ago and the last I heard. And, it only cost my DH and I $27 for the whole day at Victor's with me drinking Pacificos, he drinking sodas and us eating 2 platters of garlic shrimp. I'd call that not bad! ;)

The round trip for the ferry boat (really just a little dingy that has about 4 or 5 bench seats) used to be $1.50 a couple of years ago and the last I heard. And, it only cost my DH and I $27 for the whole day at Victor's with me drinking Pacificos, he drinking sodas and us eating 2 platters of garlic shrimp. I'd call that not bad! ;)

It was up to a whopping $2pp two months ago (that's for a round trip). $27 bucks is about right.

As far as pesos vs. USD - the peso goes almost %38 further, ($100usd gets you about $1345mxn). Two months ago everywhere we went was 10peso to the dollar (the bill was $27usd or $270mxn, you choice).

Your photos are very good - I really enjoyed them! I wish I could have enlarged every one, but my DSL service is too darn slow. However, I enlarged many and they were a great overview of the ship and the ports of call.

Just curious, where was photo DSC_0244 taken? Also, when were the photos on p. 17 of the dolphins and pool taken that showed the empty deck chairs?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the nice words.....we loved our cruise to the MR.

Photo 244 was taken in the shopping area outside the so-called cruise terminal in Mazatlan and the photo of the pool and empty chairs was taken the very late afternoon after all the early diners left for their early seating.