Hapag-Lloyd 125 Years.

English Voyager

This website does not permit a direct link to Hapag-Lloyd's English Press release.

Here is an edited version:

http://www.marinelink.com/news/hapaglloyd-gets-logo403850.aspx

According to the full Press Release,for 125 days from the 22 January 2016, upon selected cruises there will be a 12.5% discount.

Hapag-Lloyd's English language website has been updated to reflect the history of the first cruise, and current cruises 'To The Destinations Of Yesteryear'.

So they changed the name to Hapag-Lloyd Cruises using the English word for cruises instead of the German word, stating they wish to appeal to an international market.

However, it is unclear to me why they think they need to appeal to an international market, when the present suite availability on almost all cruises is very limited as it is, presumably selling out to almost exclusively Germans. As English Voyager has stated elsewhere, he books at least a year out as the cruises sell out quickly.

Since I got back from our Africa trip I have looked at on-line availability for a number of cruises on both the Europa 2 and the MS Europa itineraries interesting me starting fall 2016 and beyond and cruises are either sold out or have very limited availability ( there are a few modest last minute deals with availability for upcoming cruises within a couple months, probably due to late cancelling pax, but as I am not retired and have to plan my vacations with more notice, those do not work for me, and/or they are going places I am not interested in.) It is hard to have to make coherent plans for January 2018 in January 2016, but to get a decent spot on HL that may be what I would have to do.

Considering the fact that appealing to English countries costs HL money ( duplicate lectures, menus, and programmes, , frontline staff must be bilingual, etc.) I am not sure why they bother, unless they think the German economy will collapse before the British and American economies so they are hedging their bets, or they think that calling themselves "international" will have some snob appeal amongst targeted Germans even though they fully expect almost all pax to remain German.

One thing I have found strange is the disparity between the special offers displayed on the German and English language websites.

For example, the pre-Christmas Advent Calendar daily offers on the German language site were omitted from the English language site.

Another is the Europa 2 Cruise EUX 1607, Mumbai to Dubai ,where on the German site there are offers of a 50% discount for the second passenger, or an Euro 1000 discount for a solo passenger which are not mentioned on the English site.

It would appear to be advisable to check both sites when researching cruises.

One thing I have found strange is the disparity between the special offers displayed on the German and English language websites.

For example, the pre-Christmas Advent Calendar daily offers on the German language site were omitted from the English language site.

Another is the Europa 2 Cruise EUX 1607, Mumbai to Dubai ,where on the German site there are offers of a 50% discount for the second passenger, or an Euro 1000 discount for a solo passenger which are not mentioned on the English site.

It would appear to be advisable to check both sites when researching cruises.

1. This might be something to ask about at the London Cruise Show you plan to go to (among other issues already mentioned), as you are probably already planning.

Has anyone encountered the opposite, e.g., where discounts are shown on the English site but not on the German site?

3. I also wonder about possible discounts that might be available through German travel agents that are not available through English language travel agents.

It is also possible (I admit I am speculating) that English/American language agents are indirectly discouraged from marketing HL cruises if their commissions from HL are not comparable to those they can get by encouraging SB, SS, Crystal or Regent cruises. I had found out about HL's E2 on my own last year, through CC, then asked my TA to look into booking it for me, and she was very professional and obliged and did a good job (though I am the one who discovered the pricing differential in paying in Euro v. $US, again, through CC, which was thousands of dollars differential). However, when we were casually chatting before I left for my cruise, picking up my paperwork, I said that after all her work, I hoped HL was paying her a proper commission, on the lines of the other luxury lines. Her answer was evasive enough, something along the lines of a smile and comment that "our concern is just for the customer, to make sure you have a good cruise" , which indirectly suggested to me that HL may not be paying the English agents as much as the English-language luxury lines do.

4. So, I have to wonder if the outreach and marketing to English language pax is just designed to be a back-up plan, or for cruises that do not sell as well as others, other than for proactive cruisers who aggressively research all options and find HL. OR, maybe they are exploring how big that English market could be, to see if they should build another ship -- perhaps the Europa 3!!

1. This might be something to ask about at the London Cruise Show you plan to go to (among other issues already mentioned), as you are probably already planning.

Has anyone encountered the opposite, e.g., where discounts are shown on the English site but not on the German site?

3. I also wonder about possible discounts that might be available through German travel agents that are not available through English language travel agents.

It is also possible (I admit I am speculating) that English/American language agents are indirectly discouraged from marketing HL cruises if their commissions from HL are not comparable to those they can get by encouraging SB, SS, Crystal or Regent cruises. I had found out about HL's E2 on my own last year, through CC, then asked my TA to look into booking it for me, and she was very professional and obliged and did a good job (though I am the one who discovered the pricing differential in paying in Euro v. $US, again, through CC, which was thousands of dollars differential). However, when we were casually chatting before I left for my cruise, picking up my paperwork, I said that after all her work, I hoped HL was paying her a proper commission, on the lines of the other luxury lines. Her answer was evasive enough, something along the lines of a smile and comment that "our concern is just for the customer, to make sure you have a good cruise" , which indirectly suggested to me that HL may not be paying the English agents as much as the English-language luxury lines do.

4. So, I have to wonder if the outreach and marketing to English language pax is just designed to be a back-up plan, or for cruises that do not sell as well as others, other than for proactive cruisers who aggressively research all options and find HL. OR, maybe they are exploring how big that English market could be, to see if they should build another ship -- perhaps the Europa 3!!

I don't know if Hapag-Lloyd's commission to a TA is commensurate with that paid by other Luxury Cruise Lines, but my TA, who is their main Agent in the UK, always gives me a discount off of Hapag-Lloyd's published price.

When the Europa 2 was in Southampton in 2014, and Portsmouth last year, two groups of TAs were shown around the ship, and entertained to lunch, by representatives from Hamburg.

I do think that Hapag-Lloyd is paying far more than lip service to the English speaking market as evidenced by the recent change in name to Hapag-Lloyd Cruises.

With regard to special offers appearing on the English web-site but not the German one, there have been special promotions for English speaking passengers in the past.

I don't know if it is time expired, but there was a brochure containing special offers, to English speaking passengers, of discounts, and a beverage credit, for certain cruises in 2016 that I do not recall being published on the English website.

It might be worthwhile enquiring about it with your TA.