Oceania seems overpriced

doublebzz

My two cents, please add in the value of a small ship when comparing to the mass market lines. Different ports, different docks.. Less tendering. You usually are off the ship in 30 minutes, the mega ships can be hours. Sometimes on the mega ships you may get off early but you have queued for a long time. So the port time difference does have a value.

We find it all depends on the time and inclusions. I rarely see the inclusive air good value for money. Removing this usually dramatically reduces the price. We book early and usually the best price offered. We choose the olife choice so have the internet and usually a good amount of obc. For us we spend a reasonable amount on a very good product. Defiantly worth a little extra than the mass lines

I think you have to look at everything you get for the price not just the size of your cabin. We enjoy the larger suites that include extra perks. We could get a larger suite on some other lines, but it's the total package for us. We've cruised other lines in are early cruising days-but know it's "O" or Regent, it just suites are needs better for us. Rick

Thanks for the update, Doublebzz! I have to agree with you, but wonder if you could enumerate your specific reasons for preferring Oceania to the mass market lines.

For me, it is the size of the ships, small things like beds and linens, lack of photographers and art sales, the ability to bring onboard a couple bottles of our favorite beverages, and the FOOD!

I compared the 2019 world cruise on Insignia vs the 2019 world cruise on the Pacific Princess, (a sister ship), and the per day cost is similar. With all the extras included with the O cruise plus the extra on board changes such as special coffee, soft drinks and speciality restaurants on Princess it works out cheaper per day for Oceania.

Thanks for the update, Doublebzz! I have to agree with you, but wonder if you could enumerate your specific reasons for preferring Oceania to the mass market lines.

For me, it is the size of the ships, small things like beds and linens, lack of photographers and art sales, the ability to bring onboard a couple bottles of our favorite beverages, and the FOOD!

For all the reasons you mentioned plus the feeling that staff from the captain on down were genuinely trying to please the guests. I gave the example of the captain altering the itinerary to provide more port time when an anchoring port had to be cancelled because of weather. On other lines, my experience has been the port was just skipped as the ship was slowed resulting a fuel savings for the company and a missed opportunity for the guests. When the maitre-d noticed I was not to happy with a dinner in the steak specialty restaurant, he was more than apologetic and insisted I give it a second chance at a time and date of my choosing. Most of all, and this will sound terribly snobby, I found our fellow guests to be very congenial, interesting and thoughtful. Flip-flops, t-shirts and levi's were non-existent. After sharing a smoke one afternoon with some guests we had just met, they insisted we come to their suite for a farewell party. We also met some nice couples and shared a number of private tours with them. So, for us, this is what cruising is all about: Good food, meeting convivial fellow travelers and experiencing interesting ports.

I compared the 2019 world cruise on Insignia vs the 2019 world cruise on the Pacific Princess, (a sister ship), and the per day cost is similar. With all the extras included with the O cruise plus the extra on board changes such as special coffee, soft drinks and speciality restaurants on Princess it works out cheaper per day for Oceania.

You are correct. When we were looking to choose a 2019 RTW cruise, we looked at all the cruise lines that offered them and compared prices, perks, itinerary and the proportion of ports to sea days.

We have always enjoyed Princess and are almost Elite, but even though the price was much cheaper, Princess didn't include many perks at all. It also had many fewer port days and more sea days. I love sea days but the point of a world cruise is to see the world. ;)

Since we had wanted to try O anyway, it was an easy decision and a great value for the price, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Has Oceania prices got too high ?

Just looked at a cruise we normally take each year; Riviera 10 day from Miami in February 2018.

I checked on line the 02/26/18 sailing and appears based on available cabins, the cruise was almost 60% unsold !

At the current pricing is Oceania priced too high too sale over 1200 tickets ?

Has Oceania prices got too high ?

Just looked at a cruise we normally take each year; Riviera 10 day from Miami in February 2018.

I checked on line the 02/26/18 sailing and appears based on available cabins, the cruise was almost 60% unsold !

At the current pricing is Oceania priced too high too sale over 1200 tickets ?

Maybe people are bored with the Caribbean ?

Maybe they go with cheaper lines eg Carnival?

Maybe they are waiting for a better deal/discount ?

There are many reasons the cruise may not be selling

Rather than the pricing, it seems to me that the "average" Oceania client has done the Caribbean to death, and isn't interested in repeating the experience...

Might result in some lower than average fares for a few of the "let's give Oceania a try" set, however, so as Grandmother used to say, "It is an ill wind that blows no good".

I'm curious how you did that. Did you go through a bunch of bookings in each of the categories until you had a list of all available and then applied some arithmetic? I don't know how you see all available even in just one category, just a few at a time so wondering how you did that.

I'm curious how you did that. Did you go through a bunch of bookings in each of the categories until you had a list of all available and then applied some arithmetic? I don't know how you see all available even in just one category, just a few at a time so wondering how you did that.

There is a TA website that appears to allow viewers to see all cabins available for each category. Takes couple of minutes to view all categories. Sorry I can not let you know TA's name

Maybe people are bored with the Caribbean ?

Maybe they go with cheaper lines eg Carnival?

selling

Not for those who like the Caribbean :D

First cruise back in 70's on Carnival and our last cruise on Carnival.

Other interesting fact is that there is still an Owner Suite unsold which usually are first cabins too sell out long before the cruise.

There is a TA website that appears to allow viewers to see all cabins available for each category. Takes couple of minutes to view all categories. Sorry I can not let you know TA's name
That's okay, I certainly know CC's rule on TAs and don't need another TA anyway. and tracking a sailings popularity isn't something I've considered. I didn't know though there was a better method then a hunt 'n peck which I've read some apparently do so thanks for that. Your method sounds efficient with just a few minutes.

Funny that you should say that-

If Carnival was still anything at all like it was in the early 1970's, i.e. pre Farcus, we would be sailing with them, today!

your cruise history always adds a great perspective.

BTW & apologies to all for going OT. Good to see you back. We've been missing your input. Was contemplating sending out a "Car 54". Hope things are aok.