Formal/informal optional

shipsmail

we found this dress code on our 11 days Baltic Sea (Whisper) cruise for three days. So men were not wearing ties, nearly none in a tux.

Will that be on other cruises the same? We have a 18 day cruise in Asia in November. Can we expect that "Formal/Informal optional" for this cruise, too?

I am not certain what you are referring to.

But there will be people in informal or even casual dress wandering the corridors on formal nights. La Terrazza is always informal, and The Grill is always casual.

Agree. What was the ships official dress code?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we found this dress code on our 11 days Baltic Sea (Whisper) cruise for three days.
What dress code did you find and are referring to?
Can we expect that "Formal/Informal optional" for this cruise, too?
While there are definitely formal and informal evenings, one can always choose to dine at the grill or in their suite and be completely casual. Even on formal evenings, La Terrazza is informal, so you don't have to dress formally if you choose not to.

What dress code did you find and are referring to? While there are definitely formal and informal evenings, one can always choose to dine at the grill or in their suite and be completely casual. Even on formal evenings, La Terrazza is informal, so you don't have to dress formally if you choose not to.

Appreciate this excellent summary from our Colorado "neighbor" to the west. Yes, from our June, 11-day Silver Spirit cruise experience, there are several different dining options for those who prefer not to dress up fully in the Main Dining Room.

Is is also accurate as noted by shipsmail as to how the dress code is detailed each day on the front page of the Chronicles. As detailed on my live/blog below, all worked well during our June cruise up the Atlantic Coast.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

we found this dress code on our 11 days Baltic Sea (Whisper) cruise for three days. So men were not wearing ties, nearly none in a tux.

Will that be on other cruises the same? We have a 18 day cruise in Asia in November. Can we expect that "Formal/Informal optional" for this cruise, too?

On our last SS cruise it was explained that Formal meant Jacket and Tie; Informal meant Jacket, and Casual meant not Jacket or Jacket/Tie. As mentioned in other responses, if you do not want to dress formal then eat at one of the specialty restaurants or in your suite.

SS expects you to following the dress code even in bars. My husband has been approached by staff to put on a jacket or depart the bar. :eek:

I'd endorse what the OP said and also like to expand on the topic. We too have been on the Stockholm-Southampton cruise and are continuing on to Montreal. On the first leg there were 3 nights which the Chronicle described as "Formal/informal optional". I'd not seen this before on a Silverseas cruise.

The outcome, so far as the men were concerned, was a very small number of tuxedos, a larger number of suits and ties and probably 50% in suits without ties or jackets, and slacks without ties. In other words, the two dress codes were combined and everyone appeared to cope and dress as suited them.

Tonight, still 6 hours away as I write this, we will be on the second night of the Southampton-Montreal leg. The code has reverted to "Formal" with no other option.

I have just asked the Hotel Manager to relieve any confusion I might have and which I have also heard from a couple of the other continuing guests. He tells me it is a formal night in the traditional sense and that Baltic cruises sometimes have the informal optional alternative. Perhaps in Silversea's judgement the crowd on TAs is less casual than on Baltic cruises?

We'll see the outcome later and I'll be very interested to see whether there is a decent number of jackets without ties or jackets that don't match the owner's trousers! We are dining in La Terrazza and I will be wearing trousers, jacket and tie.

Interesting that for our upcoming cruise , La Terraza has been booked out for months on the first formal night.

A clear case of guests making their judgment of the anachronistic dress code.

Simple enough choice for us : Pack a suit & accompanying paraphernalia ( and lug it around everywhere else we are going ) or eat in the suite like a leper… :-)

Edited by tgh
typo

Interesting that for our upcoming cruise , La Terraza has been booked out for months on the first formal night.

Simple enough choice for us : Pack a suit & accompanying paraphernalia ( and lug it around everywhere else we are going ) or eat in the suite like a leper… :-)

Interesting conclusion on why La Terrazza is booked on formal nights. Guess we'll be out of place because we have La Terrazza booked on a formal night and will be dressed to the acceptable formal code. :confused::)

This may well be the case. But, if so, wouldn't one expect it to be booked full on *all* formal nights? Another possible explanation: There is a largish group on the cruise and they have reserved La Terrazza for that group to dine together on that early night during the cruise.

Also booked out on the second formal night….. :-)

Whoops. This makes my theory a bit less tenable. But not out of the question. Which ship? How many formal nights were there? If only two, perhaps the group was having this get-together at the beginning and end of the cruise. Yes, I know I am stretching.....

BTW: La Terrazza or the Grill are my go-to places on formal night. I do not bring a suit. Jacket and slacks are enough for me. I have yet to be relegated to my suite (though I think my butler wishes I would so that he could serve....)

A question for the SS regulars - how does one know which nights will be formal nights in advance? I'm logged into My Silversea and I don't see which nights are formal. I'll for sure want to book La Terrazza.

Usually the formal nights are listed on the ''Activities'' section of the cruise on My Silversea; however, our next cruise is ready for dining bookings and formal nights are not shown yet on the cruise after that they are although it is not ready for dining bookings. Clearly, the system is less than wholly consistent.

Usually the formal nights are listed on the ''Activities'' section of the cruise on My Silversea; however, our next cruise is ready for dining bookings and formal nights are not shown yet on the cruise after that they are although it is not ready for dining bookings. Clearly, the system is less than wholly consistent.

That could definitely be confusing for some of our less fortunate brethren [emoji79]

Sent from my iPad using Forums