Royal Clipper Dec 17 2012

slgo

It will be or first cruise and we wanted something small and special. Two nights in Barbados first at Turtle Beach to get us in the holiday mood. December feels alongway off. As we are first timers anytips would be well received.

Thanks Sue and Neil

Is it this year - Dec 17 2011 that you are going, or is it next year 2012?

Your first cruise - what a choice, you have started at the top. There is nothing else like it in the world. We have been on the Royal Clipper several times out of Barbados, including a couple of months ago to the BVIs.

Suggest, to get you started, that on the day of embarkation you take a taxi from your hotel at around 3.00 p.m.. You will be in the Port (inside a building, rather than in the sun) by about 3.30 - no doubt meeting and chatting with some other early arrivers. Check in/boarding commences at 4.00 p.m. so you will be one of the first to board - probably greeted by the Captain and one or two other officers. Hang around in the Tropical Bar with complimentary drink/afternoon tea - gives the crew time to get your bags to your cabin. Maybe find your way around a bit and watch the sunset. Dinner starts at 7.30. Suggest you are there at that time so that you can have finished dinner in a leisurely way and still be up on deck by about 9.45 ready for sailaway. For sailaway be on deck in the vicinity of the bridge. The first sails are being raised as the ship heads out of port - listen as well as watch.

Depending where you live in the London area, and if you are flying out of Gatwick, there is a case for staying at the airport overnight (we do) to avoid the possibility of missing your flight because of hold ups on the motorways.

Have a great holiday.

This is our first cruise too. 10 day BVI.

Will be 5 years married while there so a good excuse to splash out a bit

Really looking forward to it. Staying 2 nights before and after. Flying via Gatwick.

• 6 months later...

Anyone advise whether wine can be brought on board for consumption in our cabin? The info from the cruise line said no, but others have said it is usually ok in the cabin. we are talking a few bottles of wine for pre-dinner drinks.

Pavovsky - as an alternative to a pre dinner drink in your cabin you could consider buying a drink in the Tropical Bar and then take it up to the open part of the bridge - there are seats in that area. The ship will usually be at sea at that time. You would then have a warm tropical breeze, the stars above and the sails above. The good life!! Drinks are reasonably priced on the Clippers.

Pavovsky. - St. Barts. You will probably be tendered in to Gustavia - the main town/capital of St. Barts. Suggest you walk around the "harbour" area to the other side where there is a small but interesting museum. If our experience is anything to go by only a few of the Clipper passengers will find that. The museum is near the waterfront and if you cannot easily see it ask for directions. Probably less than 30 minutes walk and various cafes along the way - also a cafe/bar near the museum where the locals go. Nice place Gustavia. If you just type in gustavia on the internet some helpful sites will come up and some photos that you can enlarge to some extent to give you a feel for the place. Not long now - you lucky people.

Thanks again Jo bake. Getting excited hence all the questions. This is a real unknown for us - first time in the caribbean and first cruise. By all accounts we have picked a good one.

We will probably spend the morning in the town, then get lunch (maybe back on the ship) and maybe the afternoon at the beach. Seemingly very expensive to get around the island but none of the tours really interest us.

We will go with the flow on this trip. Have the lonely planet guide and the print-out port guides from cc. We want to get the feel for the places we go to. Meet locals, people watch, enjoy good beers and just relax.

Anything we should do as a must?

Pavovsky - I think you have "got it" - go with the flow. Perhaps the closest to a "must" is covered in my post of the 13th May above - be on deck in the vicinity of the bridge for the sailaway on the first evening. Magic. Can be emotional too.

• 1 month later...
Pavovsky - I think you have "got it" - go with the flow. Perhaps the closest to a "must" is covered in my post of the 13th May above - be on deck in the vicinity of the bridge for the sailaway on the first evening. Magic. Can be emotional too.

You were absolutely right. We had a great time and will definitely go again. Will put up a comprehensive review but words are hard to describe the ship.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, they look great. Love the ones of the ship in St.Lucia. This is where we first saw the ship while on a carnival cruise and decided that we must sail on her. Looking forward to the review being posted!

Will you sail with Star Clippers again?

Thanks for sharing your pictures, they look great. Love the ones of the ship in St.Lucia. This is where we first saw the ship while on a carnival cruise and decided that we must sail on her. Looking forward to the review being posted!

Will you sail with Star Clippers again?

Hell yes

You were absolutely right. We had a great time and will definitely go again. Will put up a comprehensive review but words are hard to describe the ship.

I just finished reading your review and I wanted to say thank-you for a very comprehensive review. You answered many of my questions and made the 44 day wait till we leave a little more bearable!

You are right about the taxi's at the port in Barbados, it is very unorganized and the practice of packing multiple people in is a bit disconcerting, you feel like you are on a bus! I will definitly go outside the port next time as you suggest!

I hope you get to cruise again soon!

I just finished reading your review and I wanted to say thank-you for a very comprehensive review. You answered many of my questions and made the 44 day wait till we leave a little more bearable!

You are right about the taxi's at the port in Barbados, it is very unorganized and the practice of packing multiple people in is a bit disconcerting, you feel like you are on a bus! I will definitly go outside the port next time as you suggest!

I hope you get to cruise again soon!

Glad to be of help. Noticed the first typo, it is Nelsons dockyard in Antigua.

Any questions please ask.

Pavovsky. We have just got back from a holiday in St.Lucia and I have now read your review. Pleased to see that you enjoyed your trip - another convert to the Clippers!! We are now booked on the Star Flyer in August from Oslo to Hamburg and then Hamburg to Southampton. We understand that, as one might imagine, there are quite a few German people booked on these two Star Flyer trips - I have this wish that by some great coincidence that will include a German couple we met on one of our most recent Clipper holidays - wonderful company. If you are reading this H. you know who you are and I am waiting for you to look in to my eyes and read my mind again - yes I have a few more of you know what to add to the ones that you already have.

Archived