Need advice on binoculars

kayred

I have a cruise to Alaska in June and would like binoculars for the trip but the truth is I will probably never use the again. I have read the posts on good types and really appreciate them. I have decided because I have so long till I go to start looking in some pawn stores hoping to find a Great deal maybe even a deal in a new camera.

My questions is because I am getting a used pair is there anything I should be careful to look for. Is there a down side to buying used binoculars or cameras. Basically I am hoping to use your experience to avoid buying a broken or damaged item because of m inexperience with them. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I would avoid pawn shops to look for this (or any) sort of merchandise. Selection is small and you don't really know what you're getting. Plus no warranties. And, sad to say, you can't always trust the seller.

Nowadays, there are plenty of bargains to be found on the internet--even in NEW merchandise.

As to binoculars, I have a pair that I think, for a number of reasons, are absolutely fantastic...and a relative bargain.

http://bushnell.com/wildlife/binoculars/perma-focus/10x-50mm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/223523-REG/Bushnell_175010_10x50_Permafocus_Binocular.html

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-PermaFocus-10-x-50mm-Binocular/4328445

These aren't "high end" professional quality optics...but they are great for the average person. What makes them remarkable is that you do NOT have to focus them at any time...or at all...Somehow, they remain completely in focus all the time...I've heard it doesn't work for everybody...but it sure does for me...and I usually wear glasses! Yet, I can use these WITHOUT my glasses...and everything always comes into complete focus no matter the distance. Before I tried them, I wouldn't have believed it.

And, for the price of these, you are NOT going to find a better pair at a better price at a pawn shop. (Note: There's a $15 rebate through October 31)

They also come in other sizes, in other focal lengths...But, for my uses, these are great...

Edited by Bruin Steve

• 1 month later...
I have a cruise to Alaska in June and would like binoculars for the trip but the truth is I will probably never use the again. I have read the posts on good types and really appreciate them. I have decided because I have so long till I go to start looking in some pawn stores hoping to find a Great deal maybe even a deal in a new camera.

My questions is because I am getting a used pair is there anything I should be careful to look for. Is there a down side to buying used binoculars or cameras. Basically I am hoping to use your experience to avoid buying a broken or damaged item because of m inexperience with them. Thanks in advance.

My advice is don't do it for the reasons Bruin Steve said. Go instead to a place (Eagle Optics, CameraLand that sells "Demos" or just order from Costco (they've got a nice Alpen Optics Shasta binocular 10x42 for $100).

These demo models are used, and they are backed by the company that sells them. Pawn shops? Not at all! And the optics they'd sell you may be badly out of alignment or worse.

Binoculars can be used not only for cruising but birding and sight-seeing generally so don't cheap-out and get a pair of throw away (or used) binoculars. Buy them for a lifetime of use (and cruising)!