What's the best way to get to Rome from port for the day?

Miri75

Best requires a value judgement, what's best for me on any particular day might not be on another, and may never be the best for you.

Ease and convenience cost money - having a car service pick you up at the ship is a luxury but it comes with a price tag. Depending on what's important to you for this decision, this may be the best.

Of course, any land transport (bus or car) is subject to traffic constraints. The train avoids them but has it's own limitations.

We had planned to take the walking and train option... Best laid plans!!! Ha!!!

We "did Rome" yesterday. It was FABULOUS...

The "getting to Rome from the cruise port" ended up being the only stress of the cruise so far (we are on day 5)... The train schedules vary and are apparently unreliable. And we don't speak or read Italian.

Running from point A to point B to make a scheduled train or tour sounded nightmarish...

I contacted Rome Limosine at about 9:15pm via text from our ship cabin the night before we were scheduled to arrive (at 7am the next morning) and they confirmed their availability. $145 each way for our party of 6. We are huge fans of them now. Fantastic service - clean, professional - they were exactly where and when they said they would be. All the stress was gone and our perfect vacation was right back on track.

We had planned to take the walking and train option... Best laid plans!!! Ha!!!

We "did Rome" yesterday. It was FABULOUS...

The "getting to Rome from the cruise port" ended up being the only stress of the cruise so far (we are on day 5)... The train schedules vary and are apparently unreliable. And we don't speak or read Italian.

Running from point A to point B to make a scheduled train or tour sounded nightmarish...

I contacted Rome Limosine at about 9:15pm via text from our ship cabin the night before we were scheduled to arrive (at 7am the next morning) and they confirmed their availability. $145 each way for our party of 6. We are huge fans of them now. Fantastic service - clean, professional - they were exactly where and when they said they would be. All the stress was gone and our perfect vacation was right back on track.

Sorry the trains freaked you out. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the train schedules vary and are unreliable - in my over 10 years of Trenitalia travel I never had that issue. And, for future reference - the trenitalia website has an English version.

But, I am happy that you were able to find something that you were comfortable with for Rome and got that day "done."

This is your perception based on something you heard, not on experience or facts as you went with a car service. Many of us use the trains all the time without issue, or with manageable ones. The schedules are not willy-nilly, this is not a third world nation. Trains do run late sometimes, just like pretty much everywhere in the world. It happens, but it's not such a big problem that thousands of tourists, most of whom do not speak Italian, can't manage to figure it out.

It's great that you found something that works for you, but you don't need to make up stuff to justify it. It's just what's right for you.

We had a tour booked with Walks of Italy at 9:15am. The ship docked at 7am. The schedules did not allow sufficient time.

I got train schedules and some info from the ship concierge, so fortunately I didn't have to make anything up, lol.:)

Just as an FYI to newbies like us, the drive there took over an hour and the drive back was from 4:30pm to the ship at 6:10pm. All aboard was 6:30.

We're on the ship at dinner now, so I'm back to my vacation.

Edited by Julie_Anne

Will just add one more person who has been using Italian trains for nearly forty years and found them very reliable. Sure, there is an occasional labor strike (usually announced well in advance) and sometimes the trains will run late. But as a general rule the regional trains (the type you take from the port into Rome) are on time. We should also mention there are quite a few trains running in the morning. As an example there are trains to Rome at 7:18; 7:44; 7:58; 8:42 and 8:59. These are all regional commuter trains with no reservations and low fares. A 12€ BIRG ticket would cover round trip (on these regional trains) plus also allow you full day's free access to Rome's Metro and bus system.

We would point out that you do not need to read Italian to use trains. Civitavecchia is Civitavecchia and Rome is Roma (or Rome). Times are shown using the 24 hour system (so 2 pm would be 14:00 hrs). You can purchase tickets in vending machines or at the ticket window (where they are used to tourists who do not speak Italian).

Hank

We had a tour booked with Walks of Italy at 9:15am. The ship docked at 7am. The schedules did not allow sufficient time.
That's very different from saying they "vary" and are "unreliable", unless you have a different dictionary than I do.

It's certainly not the fault of the Italian train system that you booked a tour before you ascertained where you would be and how long it would take to get to your destination. And, for what it's worth, odds are you could have made that meeting time by train anyway.

I have gone to Rome using RomeInLimo and also on the train with the Berg ticket. No question in my mind that a car and driver is the best way to see the most of Rome in comfort on a port day. It is not cheap but split among 8 probably not bad for what you get.

The train is not difficult, but when you get to Rome you have to have a plan to get to each of the sites you want to see. If you are mainly doing the Vatican, or the Colosseum/Forum and central Rome sites, it is very doable, but requires quite a bit of walking.

On a port day time is your enemy. A car and driver lets you maximize what you are able to do. Tell the driver what you are interested in and he will get you there.

If you want to save money, take the train, but don't try to see everything. Make a list of the main things to want to see and enjoy them. When you run out of time head to the train station.

Rome is best pre or post cruise where you can spend several days without being rushed.

Rome is best pre or post cruise where you can spend several days without being rushed.

Agreed.

However, it doesn't have to be all one or the other regarding transportation. The fact is that if there's any traffic at all the train will get you to Rome (or back) faster than a car. Once in Rome you can use cabs if you want to get from place to place faster than you can walk or than a bus.

Your point is well taken that having a car at your disposal all day is the ultimate in ease and luxury for this kind of a port day. It's just not within everyone's budget, even when divided up.

Wow, I have never been treated this way on Cruise Critic before.

In my own defense, I want to add a few things:

1) I had been researching the ports of call for nearly a year. I take full responsibility for failing to review the train schedules thoroughly before leaving home.

2) I thought we would have enough time to make the journey by train.

3) The concierge and several fellow cruisers currently on board shared information with us the night before our day in Rome. One used the words "the schedules don't stay the same, there can be some variance" another said "if there is an issue with a train, you are out of luck". Again, I was not trying to mislead anyone or make things up. I became very concerned that I had used poor judgement in deciding we would do it ourselves.

4) I was not trying to insult, belittle or put down the train system in Italy. I am from a very large city where we sometimes have mud fall on the heavily used train tracks - which can leave lots of commuters and others stuck on trains. I don't live in a third world country either.

5) I was very sincerely trying to save someone else from the panic I experienced. If they are looking at a current train schedule that gives them very limited time on one end or the other, there are other options that can be utilized on short notice.

6) Next time, if we have some extra time, we'll try the train.

1) I had been researching the ports of call for nearly a year. I take full responsibility for failing to review the train schedules thoroughly before leaving home.

3) The concierge and several fellow cruisers currently on board shared information with us the night before our day in Rome. One used the words "the schedules don't stay the same, there can be some variance" another said "if there is an issue with a train, you are out of luck". Again, I was not trying to mislead anyone or make things up. I became very concerned that I had used poor judgement in deciding we would do it ourselves.

4) I was not trying to insult, belittle or put down the train system in Italy. I am from a very large city where we sometimes have mud fall on the heavily used train tracks - which can leave lots of commuters and others stuck on trains. I don't live in a third world country either.

5) I was very sincerely trying to save someone else from the panic I experienced. If they are looking at a current train schedule that gives them very limited time on one end or the other, there are other options that can be utilized on short notice.

I'm sorry if you don't feel you are being treated fairly, but to be fair, you are the one who (based on no actual experience) made statements about the trains being undependable.

This is something frequently said by ship personnel, I'm sorry to say, to discourage passengers from doing ports on their own.

The train schedules from Civitavecchia to Rome do NOT vary much over a given year, and run fairly frequently throughout the day. If you failed to do the research on the exact train timings before setting out, that can hardly be blamed on the Italian train system....

I always recommend to anyone planning to DIY that they have a very detailed schedule put together, along with a backup plan. It's a pity you didn't research here in advance of your trip or you may have been better prepared. As it was, you found a solution and enjoyed your day in Rome, which is great. But don't cast aspersions on the trains, especially with nothing but hearsay to back you up.

I'm sorry if you don't feel you are being treated fairly, but to be fair, you are the one who (based on no actual experience) made statements about the trains being undependable.

This is something frequently said by ship personnel, I'm sorry to say, to discourage passengers from doing ports on their own.

The train schedules from Civitavecchia to Rome do NOT vary much over a given year, and run fairly frequently throughout the day. If you failed to do the research on the exact train timings before setting out, that can hardly be blamed on the Italian train system....

I always recommend to anyone planning to DIY that they have a very detailed schedule put together, along with a backup plan. It's a pity you didn't research here in advance of your trip or you may have been better prepared. As it was, you found a solution and enjoyed your day in Rome, which is great. But don't cast aspersions on the trains, especially with nothing but hearsay to back you up.

Absolutely correct.

The cruise line staff will mislead guests into thinking the trains are a bad way to travel in hopes of scaring a guest into buying a ship tour instead.

You stated that it was your failure to not properly look at trains schedules before you left home. I'm not sure how you decided in advance that you had plenty of time go get off the ship, onto a train and get to that tour. Did you think it was OK until you talked to that staff member and guests? That there was no train option to get you where you needed is not the fault of Trenitailia.

You lucked out. You are just fear-mongering now to future cruisers about DIY and trains and to buy those private tours instead. If an accident happens on the highway, you are SOL also. What you should be saying is that you didn't plan properly and ended up having to pay a large premium for your mistake.

I have gone to Rome using RomeInLimo and also on the train with the Berg ticket. No question in my mind that a car and driver is the best way to see the most of Rome in comfort on a port day. It is not cheap but split among 8 probably not bad for what you get.

The train is not difficult, but when you get to Rome you have to have a plan to get to each of the sites you want to see. If you are mainly doing the Vatican, or the Colosseum/Forum and central Rome sites, it is very doable, but requires quite a bit of walking.

On a port day time is your enemy. A car and driver lets you maximize what you are able to do. Tell the driver what you are interested in and he will get you there.

If you want to save money, take the train, but don't try to see everything. Make a list of the main things to want to see and enjoy them. When you run out of time head to the train station.

We have also visited Rome (1) on a port day with a driver/guide service, (2) on a port day DIY via train, and (3) for 4 days pre-cruise. Of course the best way was (3). However, I preferred (2) over (1). Yes, we "saw" more with (1), but we "experienced" far more with (2). Starting with the train, I much preferred travelling with the locals on the regional train rather than sitting in a van with 7 other cruisers. In Rome, I preferred walking the streets and observing at a slow pace rather than being shuttled from place to place with no interactions on the street, such as scouring the neighborhoods for the crowded gelaterias. And lastly, I preferred to visit just two sights on a DIY and spend a long time lingering over a fabulous Italian lunch rather than cramming in a bunch of "must sees" like with did with the driver/guide. I'm glad we had the chance to "do" Rome in several different ways in order to compare.

ROMECABS! Stefano (owner) was amazing and even though our ship was late- he was at the port waiting for our group of 8. He had an Mercedes van for us, speaks excellent English and we saw so much in one day. He was very responsive by email and I look forward to using his company when we go back to Rome.

Welcome to the "Italy Ports" section of CC. :) How did you enjoy your tour with Walks of Italy?

Not every form of travel and touring works for everyone. For example, DW and I are lifelong independent travelers. The only time we ever consider a tour or excursion is when it does something we want...that we cannot reasonably do on our own. So, in Western Europe this means we seldom to ever take any kind of tour. So if we had ever considered hiring a car/driver for Rome...we likely would have done it by ourselves and it would have cost us at least 500€ versus less than 25€ for two BIRG tickets.

But we want to explain why we like independent. There is no question that using a private car/driver makes it much easier to do more things in a short period of time. But some of us do not want to necessarily do more....we prefer to stop and smell the Roses, keep our flexibility, and do what feels right at the time. So for example, the last time we were in Rome we were strolling from the Piaza Navona (one of our favorite spots in the city) towards the nearby Campo del Fiore when we were stopped by a crazy Italian guy trying to attract customers to his really cute restaurant/cafe. We stopped to chat, looked at the menu (which had lots of fresh seafood) and realized it was around lunch time. Everything about this place seemed right...so we sat down for a fast lunch...which turned into a 2 hour long lunch with fantastic people watching. This totally changed all or our afternoon plans and it turned out to be a fantastic day (we have had many good days in Rome). If we had been on a tour..none of this would have happened. Over forty+ years of independent travel we have met numerous interesting people (many of them locals) and had lots of neat experiences that could not have happened if we were part of a large group...or even a small tour group. My point is that one idea does not fit all. For us, a lot of our European travel (whether on an extended driving trip or a cruise) involves food and wine. When we think of Italy, France, Spain, Germany...etc...we automatically start thinking about the food and wine :). Strolling around the market in the Campo del Fiori is fun and done by some small tours....but stopping for 1 -2 hours to eat....is not generally done by those tours. Another great example are the wonderful local markets (often weekly) that are found throughout Europe. We love those markets where you can lean an awful lot about the local culture. We have seen tours rush by those type of things because it is not on the official itinerary and they just do not have the time. That is kind of sad. A good private guide will try to maintain some flexibility, but it can be difficult when you have a group where some insist on sticking to the exact itinerary.

Hank

We have also visited Rome (1) on a port day with a driver/guide service, (2) on a port day DIY via train, and (3) for 4 days pre-cruise. Of course the best way was (3). However, I preferred (2) over (1). Yes, we "saw" more with (1), but we "experienced" far more with (2). Starting with the train, I much preferred travelling with the locals on the regional train rather than sitting in a van with 7 other cruisers. In Rome, I preferred walking the streets and observing at a slow pace rather than being shuttled from place to place with no interactions on the street, such as scouring the neighborhoods for the crowded gelaterias. And lastly, I preferred to visit just two sights on a DIY and spend a long time lingering over a fabulous Italian lunch rather than cramming in a bunch of "must sees" like with did with the driver/guide. I'm glad we had the chance to "do" Rome in several different ways in order to compare.

My kind of person!!!! You described exactly what I love to do.

It's a lot cheaper taking taxis once you're in Rome. We took a couple to make the best of our time. We used a limo once. It made the day easy, but I felt as if I was missing something. The limo companies skip the Forum and Colosseum because the drivers are licensed guides and just aren't allowed to do that. If you want to do those as add ons, the already heft price goes through the roof. I'd rather save money on transportation taking the train and then pay for a cab or two and investing in walking tours with professional licensed guides. You can easily see the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and Piazza Navona on your own. Everyone enjoys their driver guide from these limo companies, but the don't realize what they are missing.

It's a lot cheaper taking taxis once you're in Rome. We took a couple to make the best of our time. We used a limo once. It made the day easy, but I felt as if I was missing something. The limo companies skip the Forum and Colosseum because the drivers are licensed guides and just aren't allowed to do that. If you want to do those as add ons, the already heft price goes through the roof. I'd rather save money on transportation taking the train and then pay for a cab or two and investing in walking tours with professional licensed guides. You can easily see the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and Piazza Navona on your own. Everyone enjoys their driver guide from these limo companies, but the don't realize what they are missing.

Remember - drivers can only be drivers or licensed guides - cannot be both at the same time. They may drive you past something and give a little chat (with real facts or not) about what you are driving by, but they cannot get out of the vehicle and go with you as a driver. You have to pay extra for an actual licensed guide. But, I suspect many who take these "private excursions" are more interesting in checking off quantity of those "must sees" than also experiencing what Rome has to offer when you "smell the roses."

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome to the "Italy Ports" section of CC. :) How did you enjoy your tour with Walks of Italy?

We were in awe during the entire tour of Rome, thank you for asking! :) Our tour guide was so knowledgeable, we just tried to soak up as much as we could.

I have dreamed of seeing Rome for as long as I can remember and it was everything I imagined and more. :)

We had one day in Rome in 2013. As a family of 4 it was important to stay on a budget, so after extensive research we decided to DIY and take the train into the city. It was great! We knew exactly where to catch the train, to buy tickets, etc and the ride into the city was pleasant. After exiting we took the metro to the Colosseum, walked through the Forum, checked out the cat sanctuary, had pizza near the Pantheon, wandered to the Trevi Fountain and had a gelato and glass of wine, then metro back to Termini and train back to the port with time to spare. No, we didn't get to the Vatican (saving that for our 4 days pre-cruise in 2018) and yes we had to make choices of what to see, where to go, but we had a relatively relaxed and wonderful day, we walked everywhere once we reached the Colosseum, and we didn't feel rushed because we kept our expectations reasonable and we knew our time limits and when we had to be back at Termini to catch the train back to the ship.

We like to set our own pace and not be shuttled from one spot to another but I can completely understand those that prefer the convenience of an organized tour. Thankfully we have 4 nights pre-cruise on our next trip so will have the luxury of time to see the things we missed before. We loved Rome!