Camera cost on a cruise ship?

flatlander321

Thoughts....

• selection is likely better on land?
  • a dedicated photography store may be better to answer your questions?
  • is warranty coverage a concern?
  • depending on where you are from, there may be currency advantages or disadvantages.

Let me ask this a different way.

Is the price and selection of camera equipment on board a cruise ship good or bad?

The selection is pretty limited on a cruise ship. Just P&S cameras and Go-Pros. Prices that I've seen on the ships are comparable to land. I would recommend buying your camera before your cruise, mainly because you'll have a much better selection in camera stores and you will want to have time to play and practice with it before the cruise so you don't miss any good shots. Also, don't skimp on the memory. Buy good memory cards with at least 16GB, if not more.

The selection is pretty limited on a cruise ship. Just P&S cameras and Go-Pros. Prices that I've seen on the ships are comparable to land. I would recommend buying your camera before your cruise, mainly because you'll have a much better selection in camera stores and you will want to have time to play and practice with it before the cruise so you don't miss any good shots. Also, don't skimp on the memory. Buy good memory cards with at least 16GB, if not more.

That's what I needed to know. A go-pro or point-n-shoot will not replace the FZ300 that will be my main camera for the spring cruise. I have an FZ200 currently and will keep it as a spare camera.

That's what I needed to know. A go-pro or point-n-shoot will not replace the FZ300 that will be my main camera for the spring cruise. I have an FZ200 currently and will keep it as a spare camera.

I'm glad I was able to help. I know you will have plenty of photo ops on your cruise. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how expensive it would be to purchase a replacement camera on ship while on a cruise? My hunch is they are not discounted.

If you need it on a cruise, likely they sell it everything from meds, sundries to replacement cameras. Selection will be limited from what I saw and everything from cheap waterproof stuff to mid range stuff. IMHO you are better off buying at a big online or brick and mortar store with larger selection.

But if you are so unlucky to lose your camera or it breaks, the cruiseline photography staff will be all to happy to separate you from some more of your $ :rolleyes: