Thoughts while “Muse-ing” - Modifications for Muse 2?

Master Echo

When I met Rudi during my inaugural Muse cruise I got the impression that evening dining was still ‘work in progress", (my words).

Given a free hand for Muse 2, I would halve the capacity of Dolce Vita and substitute six veranda cabins (three per side). Space on a cruise ship is very expensive, especially if it is grossly under-used. Whilst Dolce Vita is a beautiful space, admittedly based on one, port-intensive sailing, it is likely to be at its fullest during team trivia.

The addition of six cabins on Deck 5 would allow for the same number of passenger cabins on Deck 4 to be removed. The space created could be used to enlarge Atlantide and the galley, to match Indochine at 180 covers.

The small bar in the former could be enlarged to provide a cocktail spot for all four restaurants on Deck 4. Even then, there might still be room for an extra couple of non-passenger cabins, if extra F&B staff were deemed necessary to cater for the enlarged facilities in that Department.

Perhaps cruisers' might like to add their thoughts once they have sailed on the Muse, and experienced life on board.

Should the powers that be read this, maybe it will provide something for them to contemplate?

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Master Echo, thank you for starting a very thoughtful Muse post. Will be very interested in reading Muse Veteran's suggestions too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been very vocal about wanting reassurance that there will be accommodations for single cruisers. So let's all hope that these same "powers that be " will consider how miserably uncomfortable solo passengers will be if there aren't concrete plans to include them.

Between not having a Main Dining Room and having to make advance dining reservations, the people traveling alone are being put in a very frightening situation.

I can't count the numbers of times I have reassured nervous singles that SS is exceptional at making them feel welcomed. Come on Silversea, please keep your tradition of " Dine whenever and with whom you like". To me, this has always been more than a motto. It's a guarantee of both spontaneity and luxury.

I apologize for sounding like a broken record, but I feel like I must keep this issue alive...not just for me, but for other folks who also need to feel welcomed. For more than 20 years, my late husband and I so loved our many SS experiences. I don't want to give it all up.

'

Cruising Pashmina...I wonder if it might be a good idea to start a new thread with your concerns about singles dining on th Muse?

Also, never fear, we will be happy to include you when we are all on the Muse in September. I well remember what it was like to be suddenly single and truly appreciate those friends who rallied around me!

Edited by Emtbsam
Senility

I don't disagree about starting a new thread, but couples (my husband and me) also have concerns. One of our favorite things about SS is the ability to join others, who we don't yet know, for a meal. We've met some terrific people that way and would not like to lose it. But I don't see how it will work when there is no main dining room and all restaurants are by reservation.

One of our favorite things about SS is the ability to join others, who we don't yet know, for a meal. But I don't see how it will work when there is no main dining room and all restaurants are by reservation.

Who has said "all restaurants are by reservation" only? From what I've read, they are only allowing 60% of each night's covers to be reserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I met Rudi during my inaugural Muse cruise I got the impression that evening dining was still ‘work in pro

gress", (my words).

Given a free hand for Muse 2, I would halve the capacity of Dolce Vita and substitute six veranda cabins (three per side). Space on a cruise ship is very expensive, especially if it is grossly under-used. Whilst Dolce Vita is a beautiful space, admittedly based on one, port-intensive sailing, it is likely to be at its fullest dservice.uring team trivia.

The addition of six cabins on Deck 5 would allow for the same number of passenger cabins on Deck 4 to be removed. The space created could be used to enlarge Atlantide and the galley, to match Indochine at 180 covers.

The small bar in the former could be enlarged to provide a cocktail spot for all four restaurants on Deck 4. Even then, there might still be room for an extra couple of non-passenger cabins, if extra F&B staff were deemed necessary to cater for the enlarged facilities in that Department.

Perhaps cruisers' might like to add their thoughts once they have sailed on the Muse, and experienced life on board.

Should the powers that be read this, maybe it will provide something for them to contemplate?

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Hopefully Rudi will see his way to make the Muse similar to all the other ships and provide food to the cabins from some main restaurants other than just room service.

It looks like both restaurants on deck four, occupancy the same footprint. Making or adding, tables or seats should be easy. Both restaurants could easily have the same seating as long as tables and chairs are about the same size.

One deck five, yes about eight more cabins could easily be added, just forward of the single elevator shaft.

The thing that I have been wondering about is on deck 10. What is behind and around the elevators. It shows it as a blank space?

Edited by carefreecruise

For Stumblefoot -- read Chris Dikmen's blog re arriving at the reserved time at La Terrazza and getting what sounds like the last table for 2. Read about the single lady being forced to eat pizza outdoors as all other venues were full. It does sound to me that if you do not have advance reservations you are SOL.

For Stumblefoot -- read Chris Dikmen's blog re arriving at the reserved time at La Terrazza and getting what sounds like the last table for 2. Read about the single lady being forced to eat pizza outdoors as all other venues were full. It does sound to me that if you do not have advance reservations you are SOL.
C'mon! No one can be forced to eat anywhere they don't want too. I would imagine the lady in question could have dined in her suite, or even at a later time at one of the venues.

And, as far as Mr. Dikmen, I don't understand the issue... he arrived on time, was given a table, and was disappointed because there were no other tables open? Seems to me SS honored his reservation, so I don't understand the problem.

Sorry, Carefreecruise, your idea "Making or adding, tables or seats should be easy. Both restaurants could easily have the same seating as long as tables and chairs are about the same size" is not possible, as you will know when you sail on the Muse.

All the restaurants on the Muse are completely unique, and therefore are not interchangeable. Both décor and furniture are venue specific.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Yesterday while moored on the Whisper next to the Muse we had a chance to tender to each others ship. We had a look into cabins 944 and 908. We saw some familiar faces while looking over the rest of the ship. On the way back to the Whisper we chatted with a couple who had over 800 days and were sailing on the Muse but were paying a visit to the Whisper. They were discussed with the Muse and said they wouldn't do it again because of the strict reservations policy. They liked the "dine anywhere anytime ".

btw Vicki is back on the Whisper.

Sorry, Carefreecruise, your idea "Making or adding, tables or seats should be easy. Both restaurants could easily have the same seating as long as tables and chairs are about the same size" is not possible, as you will know when you sail on the Muse.

All the restaurants on the Muse are completely unique, and therefore are not interchangeable. Both décor and furniture are venue specific.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

I am the one to be sorry. I thought that after sending it out; should have looked at the space prior to making a comment on how to re-arranging the furniture to add more seating.

We may never see the ship anyway... if they don't change the in-suite dining to resemble all their other ships. We will be canceling our 32 day upcoming cruise.

Just can't figure why they put dining tables for parties of six, in 8 suites and you can't order any unique dishes for your dining tables. I guess the tables are not for dining but to put puzzles together on...

Yesterday while moored on the Whisper next to the Muse we had a chance to tender to each others ship. We had a look into cabins 944 and 908. We saw some familiar faces while looking over the rest of the ship. On the way back to the Whisper we chatted with a couple who had over 800 days and were sailing on the Muse but were paying a visit to the Whisper. They were discussed with the Muse and said they wouldn't do it again because of the strict reservations policy. They liked the "dine anywhere anytime ".

btw Vicki is back on the Whisper.

Exactly how I feel. No Muse for me.

C'mon! No one can be forced to eat anywhere they don't want too. I would imagine the lady in question could have dined in her suite, or even at a later time at one of the venues.

And, as far as Mr. Dikmen, I don't understand the issue... he arrived on time, was given a table, and was disappointed because there were no other tables open? Seems to me SS honored his reservation, so I don't understand the problem.

With respect if Sophia says that the only option she and her friend was offered was a pizza or her suite you can take it that she knows what she is talking about. She and her friend had got "dressed up" to have a proper meal and not a pizza in a cafe. She is "well connected" on SS and has worked for many years on cruise ships and can be trusted to know exactly what she is talking about and how to look after herself.

You may be content if offered such a choice but she as she clearly stated wasn't.

I have never been on Silversea however we have a trip booked for March on the Muse. I really do not see this reservation deal as such a problem for us. On our last trip on Crystal there was no non reservation venue for dinner. On our Oceania trips we had to reserve the speciality restaurants ahead of time, they have a sliding scale when you can log in based on cabin type so it can be a problem. The biggest complaints I have heard on many lines are the MDR is not so great and it's hard to get into the speciality restaurants. Here all the restaurants are speciality restaurants and I can make all my choices ahead of time. Doesn't sound so bad, in fact we are looking forward to our trip.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Appreciate the comments from Jeff.....having already said my piece regarding the Muse l had decided to back off without any further input.....the cruise is over and whilst enjoyable had l been a first time cruiser with SS l would most definitely not return to the line that I until then felt very much at home on.

That harsh review is actually quite spot on with many issues mentioned that l too experienced.

The majority of the crew....mostly on first time contracts need a good kick up the proverbial and the dining arrangements are not acceptable.

If as Les has suggested Manfredi has 'taken over' both La T and Atlantide for that June voyage then l would most certainly cancel the trip....end of.

I have been very vocal about wanting reassurance that there will be accommodations for single cruisers. So let's all hope that these same "powers that be " will consider how miserably uncomfortable solo passengers will be if there aren't concrete plans to include them.

Between not having a Main Dining Room and having to make advance dining reservations, the people traveling alone are being put in a very frightening situation.

I can't count the numbers of times I have reassured nervous singles that SS is exceptional at making them feel welcomed. Come on Silversea, please keep your tradition of " Dine whenever and with whom you like". To me, this has always been more than a motto. It's a guarantee of both spontaneity and luxury.

I apologize for sounding like a broken record, but I feel like I must keep this issue alive...not just for me, but for other folks who also need to feel welcomed. For more than 20 years, my late husband and I so loved our many SS experiences. I don't want to give it all up.

'

CruisinPashmina, I have exactly the same concerns, and have expressed that in several posts. This kind of dining arrangement does not work for solo travelers. Most of us would like to dine with other people -- but we haven't yet met these people pre-cruise and thus can't make reservations with them in advance. And it doesn't sound like SS has done anything to accommodate solos.

I think the whole dining situation is full of problems. It's complicated and inflexible. Plus, it seems that there's not enough capacity to accommodate everyone in the more desirable venues. I quote Silver Spectre who pointed out: " If I understand this correctly evening covers are as follows:

Indochine seats 180

Atlantide seats 140

La Terrazza seats 140

Say we have a nearly full ship, 560 or so, it's a cold/windy evening and there's not much uptake on the charged restaurants. That leaves somewhere like 100 guests stuck with pizza, room service or the Silver Note, or maybe in a queue waiting for a table clear in one of the restaurants."

I can just imagine the scrambling and competition to secure a dining spot if you don't want a charged restaurant, and don't want to eat outside or in your cabin.

Way to go SS!, on making the dining experience what I'm sure will be a disappointing experience for many.

Edited by Bon.Vivant

BV,

What adds particularly to the problem is that if up to 65% of seats are pre-reserved, in some of the smaller venues you need to ask yourself how many of the remaining 35% of a small number is going to be held back by the MD for "appreciative" customers.

On land you wander around and patrons are desperate to welcome you and you are customer and king. And you can keep wandering until you find something you want. There is basically no limit to the amount of choice and number of establishments. The Muse arrangement places you in the weak position and it seems to be that nothing is guaranteed and you are at the mercy of the MDs and are to an unacceptble degree insufficiently in control of your choices. The power base is reversed.

You don't get a refund if you feel you paid for a silver service meal but are told you are either eating pizza in a cafe or a burger in your suite.

BV,

What adds particularly to the problem is that if up to 65% of seats are pre-reserved, in some of the smaller venues you need to ask yourself how many of the remaining 35% of a small number is going to be held back by the MD for "appreciative" customers.

On land you wander around and patrons are desperate to welcome you and you are customer and king. And you can keep wandering until you find something you want. There is basically no limit to the amount of choice and number of establishments. The Muse arrangement places you in the weak position and it seems to be that nothing is guaranteed and you are at the mercy of the MDs and are to an unacceptble degree insufficiently in control of your choices. The power base is reversed.

You don't get a refund if you feel you paid for a silver service meal but are told you are either eating pizza in a cafe or a burger in your suite.

I'm sure you are correct, Jeff. The whole set-up seems ripe for the kind of shenanigans you allude to, where the "appreciative" customer will

have the advantage in a situation of low supply. Our choices onboard are limited. Thus, as you say the power base is reversed -- we can't exactly take our business somewhere else on most evenings. Plus, we shouldn't have to - we've already paid for fine dining onboard. To have to accept a burger or pizza is ...well, just unacceptable.

Edited by Bon.Vivant

I'm sure you are correct, Jeff. The whole set-up seems ripe for the kind of shenanigans you allude to, where the "appreciative" customer will

have the advantage in a situation of low supply. Our choices onboard are limited. Thus, as you say we are in a powerless position -- we can't exactly take our business somewhere else on most evenings. Plus, we shouldn't have to - we've already paid for fine dining onboard. To have to accept a burger or pizza is ...well, just unacceptable.

I'm unable to see how they can wholly resolve this, but I can see how it happened, On paper it is an extremely attractive idea to offer more choice. But this model can only work if you have considerably more restaurant capacity than might be practically deliverable. So you have created a whole set of new expectations you can possibly never satisfy to an acceptable degree of certainy. It is a big ship scheme that cannot work with the reduced numbers on Muse.

With the old model there was no real need to reserve in advance except for the odd night in Terraza or Champagne and you knew with absolute certainy there was a table for you in MD. Now you have to scurry around 6 months out and try and predict what you'll want to eat and prebook in competition with many others for every night or risk a high possibility of dissapointment, and really be in a position of being told what and where you will eat. Under the old rules spontoneity was possible because you knew that if you met some nice people in the bar you'd probably get a table in the MD and you knew what to dress up in before you left your suite. Now, I don't think the new arrangement has the flex in it for you to simply expect with the same degree of certainty that you can add a couple of places at your pre-reserved restaurant because the MD won't want to do it until he knows whether everyone else who has booked is arriving. And under the old scheme you knew if you were dressed up you would certainly get a seat in the MD.

When you decide to up your game - which is a good thing if it works - and offer greater choice you must ensure that you can practically deliver otherwise you will have created a situation (when you didn't need to) of dissapointing people and upsetting them. The problem is that the line has needlessly created a set of reasonable expectations that it looks like it cannot deliver with the degree of certainty customers will expect.

I'm unable to see how they can wholly resolve this, but I can see how it happened, On paper it is an extremely attractive idea to offer more choice. But this model can only work if you have considerably more restaurant capacity than might be practically deliverable. So you have created a whole set of new expectations you can possibly never satisfy to an acceptable degree of certainy. It is a big ship scheme that cannot work with the reduced numbers on Muse.

With the old model there was no real need to reserve in advance except for the odd night in Terraza or Champagne and you knew with absolute certainy there was a table for you in MD. Now you have to scurry around 6 months out and try and predict what you'll want to eat and prebook in competition with many others for every night or risk a high possibility of dissapointment, and really be in a position of being told what and where you will eat. Under the old rules spontoneity was possible because you knew that if you met some nice people in the bar you'd probably get a table in the MD and you knew what to dress up in before you left your suite. Now, I don't think the new arrangement has the flex in it for you to simply expect with the same degree of certainty that you can add a couple of places at your pre-reserved restaurant because the MD won't want to do it until he knows whether everyone else who has booked is arriving. And under the old scheme you knew if you were dressed up you would certainly get a seat in the MD.

When you decide to up your game - which is a good thing if it works - and offer greater choice you must ensure that you can practically deliver otherwise you will have created a situation (when you didn't need to) of dissapointing people and upsetting them. The problem is that the line has needlessly created a set of reasonable expectations that it looks like it cannot deliver with the degree of certainty customers will expect.

Well said, Jeff! "More choice" is a nice idea in the abstract, but essentially not deliverable in this circumstance, and in the way it has been done. In fact, Silversea's result ends up going in the opposite direction - less choice. It seems to me that it's another example of management rushing forward with a new idea, without carefully thinking it through.

Well said, Jeff! "More choice" is a nice idea in the abstract, but essentially not deliverable in this circumstance, and in the way it has been done. In fact, Silversea's result ends up going in the opposite direction - less choice. It seems to me that it's another example of management rushing forward with a new idea, without carefully thinking it through.

What may give some "temporary relief" would be to loosen the in-suite dining menu restrictions, and perhaps allowing the 24 hour menu in the pizza place etc. At least this would take one element out of the doubly whammy of not having a seat anywhere and being told to burger off.

Perhaps if any suites are unsold then at a pinch having them reconfigured for "private dining" and offering them to floating groups unable to dine anywhere and sold as a sort of La Champagne experience plus.