Trollfjord coastal cruise

KirkNC

We are nearing the end of our 11 day trip on the Trollfjord and I did a blog which might have some items that are useful for future cruisers.

http://kirkncnorway2016.blogspot.no

I'll be doing this trip in a couple of weeks so I'd be interested to hear how the weather has been and what level of 'rugging up' you've had to do. I've been preparing for Arctic temperatures but still worrying that I don't have enough warm layers. Any advice? Have you needed ski-type trousers to keep warm when ashore?

Thanks for your help.

I'll be doing this trip in a couple of weeks so I'd be interested to hear how the weather has been and what level of 'rugging up' you've had to do. I've been preparing for Arctic temperatures but still worrying that I don't have enough warm layers. Any advice? Have you needed ski-type trousers to keep warm when ashore?

Thanks for your help.

The weather has been very good. First no rain at all. Apparently they had a very wet summer so maybe the fall will be dry. The temperature has been from 80 in Bergen to upper 40's. The seas have been like a mill pond the whole trip. It also has been sunny most days. Of course weather can change quickly. We find the key is layers, we did not bring any down jackets or parkas but some on here have them. We find using the new fabric base layers you can buy keep us plenty warm, we used them in Antarctica as well. I have yet to wear my base layer pants so all I have worn is jeans. A couple days in did wear my base layer top and was actually too warm. We have wool hats and gloves but have only used them a few times. It's mainly been jeans with two or three layers of shirts (short sleeve undershirt, light long sleeve shirt with a flannel or jean shirt on top).

It's actually been the most cold in walking the decks of the ship as the forward motion creates wind chill. When onshore we have been walking or hiking and that helps keep us warm.

Hope that helps!

Edited by KirkNC

Loved your pics. I sailed on the Trollfjord nearly 2 years ago and enjoyed it. Am going on In the wake of the Vikings in May. I thought it interesting...and brave of you...to book two Hurtigruten cruises without having done any.

Edited by Barrheadlass

Loved your pics. I sailed on the Trollfjord nearly 2 years ago and enjoyed it. Am going on In the wake of the Vikings in May. I thought it interesting...and brave of you...to book two Hurtigruten cruises without having done any.

Thanks!

The Viking cruise should be excellent!

We are pretty easy to please so I really didn't worry about not liking Hurtengruten. I expect the two cruises will be somewhat different as well both in passenger makeup and just the "expedition " nature of the Fram cruise. We have been to Antarctica once before but that was on the Infinity, a completely different experience then what I expect on the Fram.