Attire in MDR and specialty restaurants?

bangzoom6877

On our Breakaway cruise in July, we are eating dinner in Manhattan Room 5 nights, Cagney's 1 night and Le Bistro 1 night. Are shorts allowed for adult men in Manhattan room? Or should DH wear jeans or slacks and a polo or Caribbean/Hawaiian print shirt instead? (I know it sounds very specific, but that has been his dinner outfit choice on cruises in the past). What shoes are appropriate for men in Manhattan Room, Cagney's and Le Bistro?

For Manhattan Room and Cagney's, are children allowed to wear nice shorts (like khaki shorts and a polo for my sons)? Our sons will be 10 and 8 when we sail.

For Le Bistro, what is the dress code? DH and I will have a date night there without the kids.

I like to dress nicely for dinner on cruises, and I usually wear a nice casual dress, or capris and a nice sleeveless top with strappy shoes. I'm assuming this is fine for any of the 3 restaurants I mentioned?

During the day for breakfast and lunch, are men allowed sandals in the MDR? I'm not talking flip flops, but regular sandals, nice ones.

Thanks in advance!

Technically only Bermuda shorts (which are very specific style of shorts) are permitted in Manhattan and LeBistro on a Bermuda cruise. Whether the crew actually can distinguish Bermuda shorts from other styles is questionable at best. Also the dress code states that Bermuda shorts are to be worn with a blazer, long socks and loafers.

Otherwise, no shorts are permitted to be worn by adults in LeBistro or Manhattan. Shorts are permitted in Cagney's. Sandals are fine at breakfast and lunch. I have worn leather sandals at dinner too and have never been prevented from doing so. If they tried, I would point to my wife's sandals, which are permissible, and strongly suggest they better think twice about attempting to enforce a discriminatory rule like that.

Nice shorts are fine for the children.

The official dress code FAQ is here:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

Edited by njhorseman

Technically only Bermuda shorts (which are very specific style of shorts) are permitted in Manhattan and LeBistro on a Bermuda cruise. Whether the crew actually can distinguish Bermuda shorts from other styles is questionable at best. Also the dress code states that Bermuda shorts are to be worn with a blazer, long socks and loafers.

Otherwise, no shorts are permitted to be worn by adults in LeBistro or Manhattan. Shorts are permitted in Cagney's. Sandals are fine at breakfast and lunch. I have worn leather sandals at dinner too and have never been prevented from doing so. If they tried, I would point to my wife's sandals, which are permissible, and strongly suggest they better think twice about attempting to enforce a discriminatory rule like that.

Nice shorts are fine for the children.

The official dress code FAQ is here:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

Thank you, this is very informative!

On our Breakaway cruise in July, we are eating dinner in Manhattan Room 5 nights, Cagney's 1 night and Le Bistro 1 night. Are shorts allowed for adult men in Manhattan room? Or should DH wear jeans or slacks and a polo or Caribbean/Hawaiian print shirt instead? (I know it sounds very specific, but that has been his dinner outfit choice on cruises in the past). What shoes are appropriate for men in Manhattan Room, Cagney's and Le Bistro?

For Manhattan Room and Cagney's, are children allowed to wear nice shorts (like khaki shorts and a polo for my sons)? Our sons will be 10 and 8 when we sail.

For Le Bistro, what is the dress code? DH and I will have a date night there without the kids.

I like to dress nicely for dinner on cruises, and I usually wear a nice casual dress, or capris and a nice sleeveless top with strappy shoes. I'm assuming this is fine for any of the 3 restaurants I mentioned?

During the day for breakfast and lunch, are men allowed sandals in the MDR? I'm not talking flip flops, but regular sandals, nice ones.

Thanks in advance!

I just got off the BA yesterday. I only ate in the MDR, all 3 to be exact. The dress code was never enforced and that bothered me. Just follow the official dress code someone else posted and you will be fine, even over dressed.

To answer some of your questions, shorts are not allowed for adult men in Manhattan room for dinner but I saw about 25% of the men wearing shorts with sneakers. Your husband should wear jeans or slacks and a polo or Caribbean/Hawaiian print shirt instead. It fits more with the NCL code. Appropriate shoes for men in Manhattan Room, Cagney's and Le Bistro are anything but flip flops / slides but I saw flip flops in the Manhattan dining room a lot. A no no according to their own dress code.

For Manhattan Room and Cagney's, kids wore anything and everything. I dont know the dresscode for kids but they would fit in with what you described.

For Le Bistro, the dress code is slacks, collared shirts etc but again, when I walked by, no one adhered much to the dress code. I dont know why they have it when its not enforced. I digress.....

A nice casual dress, or capris and a nice sleeveless top with strappy shoes is fine for any restaurant.

During the day for breakfast and lunch, men are allowed sandals in the MDR. They can even wear flip flops for breakfast and lunch.

I just got off the BA yesterday. I only ate in the MDR, all 3 to be exact. The dress code was never enforced and that bothered me. Just follow the official dress code someone else posted and you will be fine, even over dressed.

To answer some of your questions, shorts are not allowed for adult men in Manhattan room for dinner but I saw about 25% of the men wearing shorts with sneakers. Your husband should wear jeans or slacks and a polo or Caribbean/Hawaiian print shirt instead. It fits more with the NCL code. Appropriate shoes for men in Manhattan Room, Cagney's and Le Bistro are anything but flip flops / slides but I saw flip flops in the Manhattan dining room a lot. A no no according to their own dress code.

For Manhattan Room and Cagney's, kids wore anything and everything. I dont know the dresscode for kids but they would fit in with what you described.

For Le Bistro, the dress code is slacks, collared shirts etc but again, when I walked by, no one adhered much to the dress code. I dont know why they have it when its not enforced. I digress.....

A nice casual dress, or capris and a nice sleeveless top with strappy shoes is fine for any restaurant.

During the day for breakfast and lunch, men are allowed sandals in the MDR. They can even wear flip flops for breakfast and lunch.

Thank you for this info! It also bothers me when a cruise ship or restaurant on land has a dress code and they don't enforce it. NCL is very accommodating to everyone, in that they have a dining room or two on every ship where they allow shorts at dinner, yet passengers are expected to look presentable and dress respectfully (no sagging pants it my favorite one that I read from the above link...TOTALLY agree and that's where I would definitely draw the line!). I think they should enforce the no shorts rule in the one more "formal" dining room onboard. Passengers have other choices where they can wear shorts, including sitting down and being served in a MDR or the 24-hour restaurant and not having to deal with lines and crowds at the buffet.

I am always puzzled when I see the occassional report of dress codes not being adhered to in the MDR. In my 7 NCL cruises I have never experienced this.:confused:. Note that on Embarkation day, the official code is casual all over the ship as a concession to the fact that some may not have luggage in time to change for dinner. I think some people do not realize this and think the code in not being enforced. And even then, most men do wear long pants.

There are plenty of places to dress casual for dinner if even dockers and jeans are too much for someone. Cagneys, La Cucina, Moderno, Teppanyaki, Taste, Savor, O'Sheehans, Buffet and probably more.

I have a question about the gender differences in dress: is it ok for women to wear only shorts or swim suit bottoms around the pool area? I don't mean this as smart alecky as it comes across, I ask because 20 years ago, the highest court in NY stated that women could not be penalized for going topless if men were not penalized

I am always puzzled when I see the occassional report of dress codes not being adhered to in the MDR. In my 7 NCL cruises I have never experienced this.:confused:. Note that on Embarkation day, the official code is casual all over the ship as a concession to the fact that some may not have luggage in time to change for dinner. I think some people do not realize this and think the code in not being enforced. And even then, most men do wear long pants.

There are plenty of places to dress casual for dinner if even dockers and jeans are too much for someone. Cagneys, La Cucina, Moderno, Teppanyaki, Taste, Savor, O'Sheehans, Buffet and probably more.

Dont be puzzled. I just got off the BA Sunday. There were a ton of people in the Manhattan Dining Room in flip flips (not sandals but flip flops). I would say 25%. Tons in t-shirts and shorts. Usually this leaned towards the 2o something crowd but plenty of guys over 30 wore that t-shirt/ short combo to dinner. Women in ripped jeans were all over the place. Women, maybe more towards 20-30 year olds, wearing super short shorts was common.

I know about the first day rule. I am not counting the first day.

I have a question about the gender differences in dress: is it ok for women to wear only shorts or swim suit bottoms around the pool area? I don't mean this as smart alecky as it comes across, I ask because 20 years ago, the highest court in NY stated that women could not be penalized for going topless if men were not penalized

NY Law doesnt apply on the ship.

I really think they would ask you to cover up.

NY Law doesnt apply on the ship.

I really think they would ask you to cover up.

I'm guessing you are right. I was interested in NJHORSEMAN's opinion about the discriminatory expectation that women wear tops but men need not do so around the pool area.

I personally think that there should be no gender differences in a dress code but understand that this is not the case today.

I'm guessing you are right. I was interested in NJHORSEMAN's opinion about the discriminatory expectation that women wear tops but men need not do so around the pool area.

I personally think that there should be no gender differences in a dress code but understand that this is not the case today.

Whatever the law is, is one thing (I love the law for the most part and I am a lawyer) but do you really think its the best idea with 1500 kids possibly on a ship, to have women walking around topless? Believe what you want or what you think is right (gender this and that), but its basically an American crowd with American morals/ values that are different than other parts of the world. Its just easier for NCL to say no to topless. Sure I believe in gender equality especially as a woman but this is a different circumstance.

Whatever the law is, is one thing (I love the law for the most part and I am a lawyer) but do you really think its the best idea with 1500 kids possibly on a ship, to have women walking around topless? Believe what you want or what you think is right (gender this and that), but its basically an American crowd with American morals/ values that are different than other parts of the world. Its just easier for NCL to say no to topless. Sure I believe in gender equality especially as a woman but this is a different circumstance.

As a parent of two young boys, ages 10 and almost 8, I'm grateful that topless women can't just walk around the ship at free will. Honestly, I wouldn't cruise with kids on a ship that allowed that anywhere. A designated topless or top optional deck is different because we could just avoid that part of the ship when the kids aren't in camp and are spending time with us. I'm all for freedom and equality as well, but I don't think it is appropriate for my sons to be around topless women at these ages.

Dont be puzzled. I just got off the BA Sunday. There were a ton of people in the Manhattan Dining Room in flip flips (not sandals but flip flops). I would say 25%. Tons in t-shirts and shorts. Usually this leaned towards the 2o something crowd but plenty of guys over 30 wore that t-shirt/ short combo to dinner. Women in ripped jeans were all over the place. Women, maybe more towards 20-30 year olds, wearing super short shorts was common.

I know about the first day rule. I am not counting the first day.

You do realize that you were on a spring break cruise right? The vast majority of colleges within a driving radius to the ship were on spring break last week and that might explain it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Under he dress code, flip flops are allowed for dinner in all restaurants except the formal dining room (Manhatten) and Le Bistro.

No, they are not.........Straight from NCLs website, "We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants."

You do realize that you were on a spring break cruise right? The vast majority of colleges within a driving radius to the ship were on spring break last week and that might explain it

The rules don't have exceptions for those on Spring Break and actually, a lot of the college men I saw were dressed in sport coats (beats md why other than maybe to impress the ladies) and the 3 groups of college women I met onboard were dressed really, really well the night I saw them all in the dining room. I really don't think the people who didn't abide by the dress code were necessarily college students. Don't just assume spring break students can't have some class and follow rules. None of them caused any issues at all on the ship or in GSC. In fact, in Headliners they seemed super tame the two nights groups of students were there.

The rules don't have exceptions for those on Spring Break and actually, a lot of the college men I saw were dressed in sport coats (beats md why other than maybe to impress the ladies) and the 3 groups of college women I met onboard were dressed really, really well the night I saw them all in the dining room. I really don't think the people who didn't abide by the dress code were necessarily college students. Don't just assume spring break students can't have some class and follow rules. None of them caused any issues at all on the ship or in GSC. In fact, in Headliners they seemed super tame the two nights groups of students were there.

Very true...not all college students away for spring break choose to be in a drunken stupor and break every rule they can. Some college students are very respectful, even on spring break.

You misunderstood the point of the post

I was saying it was a spring break cruise and most if not all posters would acknowledge that those cruises are just not the norm

Btw I have taken them and like them

I have several college kids of my own and for the most part I like them

And my kids always dress very appropriately when cruising

But I will still recognize that even if the rules still should apply to spring break cruise..... The reality is....

That it is possible that perhaps in some situations while they still apply they may either not be enforced or oddly enough some pax may just ignore the rules.

• 1 month later...

I have always worn a nice top, capris & flip flops to the dining room on all my cruises. Seeing as my next cruise is Alaska, this may not be an issue. Having never cruised NCL, would I be turned away from any of the specialty restaurants or the main dining room if I did wear them? Do you have to wear "closed toe shoes" to these?

I have always worn a nice top, capris & flip flops to the dining room on all my cruises. Seeing as my next cruise is Alaska, this may not be an issue. Having never cruised NCL, would I be turned away from any of the specialty restaurants or the main dining room if I did wear them? Do you have to wear "closed toe shoes" to these?

If you are a woman, sandals are fine. Rubber flip flops are not allowed in MDRs and speciality restaurants.

I learned this the hard way on my Gem cruise. Being an idiot, I only packed one pair of jeans, a suit for formal night and then dress shorts. I had to borrow dress pants from my friends on several nights, as they would not let me in the MDR without pants.

That will never happen again as I now pack several pairs of nice slacks for the evenings. And in the end, I liked it better. Something about looking nice for dinner while on a cruise ship makes the experience that much better.

EDIT: without long pants. Not no pants in general!

Edited by Doc2725