NCL Pack and Play

buddyandcleo

I'm going on the NCL Breakaway in May with a 1 year old and was wondering about the pack and play they provide. Do they provide sheets and blankets and is the mattress thick enough for sleeping or is there something you would recommend bringing to make it more comfortable? Also, do you recommend bringing an umbrella stroller or regular stroller? Any other tips for traveling with a 1 year old on board would be appreciated thanks!:)

We are traveling with a 1 year old in August on an NCL ship (Epic). I requested a crib and they confirmed a pack and play which I guess they consider the same thing :) I have no idea if they provide sheets for it but I would assume so since otherwise its just the flat board on the bottom. I'll probably bring a pack and play quilted sheet from home so its padded for her just in case. We are doing a regular stroller instead of an umbrella one. Since we will be doing excursions and there is bound to be bumpy rocky roads I think a regular stroller would be best for us (we are doing a European cruise).

YES to the umbrella stroller. best $15 we've spent, we've bought one for our first cruise.The halls do not have much room for a regular stroller. and not much room in cabin either (depending).

DD slept on the fold out couch, so I don't know about the pnp. She never slept in a crib well. But yes, they provide sheets/blankets. She ended up in bed with us, every cruise, so there's that!

Other tips.

I would bring whatever your kid is used to as far as sleeping, if that's a fave blanket or stuffed friend. I bring magnets I make for her to play with on the doors. It also helps her know which door is her (last cruise she knew her numbers, but not at 14months). I bought the foam puzzle from the dollar store and glued magnets to the back. I bought cardstock princesses and did the same. Kept her busy and happy for cheap.

be relaxed. and flexible.

I'm not sure the age (months), at 14 months my kid ate more and slept more on the ship. At home she was on one nap a day, two on the ship. 2nd one before dinner, which worked out great.

I keep milk, boxed cereal, apple/banana in the room. I also brought fruit pouches. Perfect for a snack at ports or NOW.

Dh goes down to dinner first. he orders, then we join him. this limits her waiting. We alway had a fruit cup waiting for her. or yogurt (last cruise). Sometimes we'd order her a meal, sometimes just give her from our plate. She ate well at that age, no issues. it was easy to put some veggies and meat on her plate.

After dinner, dh would take dd, I'd order coffee and dessert and they go wonder/walk. sometimes finding dancing or music, one night playing 'basketball'. I'd put dd to bed, and dh would go do his thing.

We find dining rooms easier than buffets. we love room service.

ETA: check what your ship offers. I hear some NCL have an open play area for littles. RCL has toy lending, and open nursary hours. I'm not sure what NCL offers.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

We sailed on Epic with our 10 month old in January. They provided a Graco Travel Lite crib, which is a smaller version of a pack n play. They will fold up a flat sheet for you but do not provide fitted sheets for it. We took our own quilted pack n play sheet to use for padding plus a couple of regular pack n play sheets to go over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was a standard pack and play that we were provided on the Epic. I would bring sheets from home since the detergent used by The laundry might upset the babies skin. We took a quality umbrella stroller. It folded up nicely for storage, but also had a sun cover, under seat storage and it declined. It handled the rough cobble streets in St Martin without any issues. It also had a strap for carrying it when folded up.

Just a thought - how about a wrap / sling / baby carrier, instead of a stroller? My DD is a big fan of them, and often has her one year old on the front and the 3 year old on the back. It's a lot of weight for the parent to carry around, but also both hands are free.... I've gone to amusement parks with her, and we swap off the older one - he's much easier to control in a wrap!

Just a thought - how about a wrap / sling / baby carrier, instead of a stroller? My DD is a big fan of them, and often has her one year old on the front and the 3 year old on the back. It's a lot of weight for the parent to carry around, but also both hands are free.... I've gone to amusement parks with her, and we swap off the older one - he's much easier to control in a wrap!

We did both. I carry DS in the Ergo a fair amount at home, and even more so on vacations. However, DH don't use it and we were traveling with other family members, so when anyone other than I was walking around with him they usually used the stroller. We were glad we had both.