What is going on with me?!?!?

shannon_from_ct

Ok, sailing on my first cruise 8/7 on the GLORY. Anyway, I am like SPRING CLEANING my house and have absolutely no control over myself! I haven't felt like this since I was "nesting" a week before I had my son. Anyway, has anyone else had this issue of perfecting their home before leaving? (I am serious, I have been through every cabinet, closet, and drawer!) Am I insane??

--Shannon

Join the group! I go crazy cleaning before every cruise/trip. It is so nice to return home to a clean house when you have all that laundry to do but I'm not sure that's what drives me to do it! My husband thinks I'm a little nuts but he has learned that it's just part of going on vacation. Happy cleaning and have a great cruise!!!

Shannon and Joe ~ I live in Granby. In the boonies...can you still come and clean for me????

Yes, I have been on that Carnival ship. Princess ;) is my fav line. Hal is too stuffy, IMO, Carnival is a party ship, IMO, Celebrity is nice ;) and Princess, well, afterall, it's the "love boat." ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I also have an insatiable desire to make sure my house and room are impeccable. I belive that you are already returning from a week long vacation feeling bad...last thing you want to do is walk in to a house that's messy and needs cleaning.

If you take care of it before, all you have to do is unpack when you get home and relax!

Actually I think it has something to do with someone else coming in your home while you are gone and looking around....like your mother-in-law with her white gloves etc. As a kid we had to sit on the front porch and wait for my mother to put the vacum in the front closet before she shut the front door so the pattern the vacum made would greet her on her ruturn!!! Me, I hire Molly Maid and let her do the work....unless your willing to travel to Mich before your cruise....leaving 9/20 on the Prinsendam Lisbon, to Piraeus and can't wait

Actually I think it has something to do with someone else coming in your home while you are gone and looking around...

That is exactly it for me...there is usually someone coming in to check on things while we are gone, and I can't stand the thought of letting them see my dust bunnies and clutter. Plus, the nice side benefit is that we come home to a clean house (into which we immediately dump luggage, piles of dirty laundry, beach sand, salty scuba gear, etc.)

I am glad I am not the only one. Everytime I go away everything has to be done. The family thinks I turn into the house nazi. I growl and snarl if anything gets taken out. Hubbie always says, why wash the windows when we arent even here. Next trip is a biggie for 6 weeks with someone moving into our house to look after the animals. I cant talk anymore better get started! LOL

Hey Shannon, do you go as far as Perth Australia for cleaning. Everyone else wants to help you get over this cleaning thing. Your welcome to come to my house! LOL

Caz

Hi Shannon,

I don't think that there's anything wrong with you at all. I do the same thing before I go away. I like to be sure that when I get from from a vacation I don't have to unwind by doing laundry, washing floors etc. Come home, unwind and just reminisce (sp?) about the time away. :)

My DF now gets it too (he didn't understand at first), now he helps without complaint because not only am I happy when I leave, we are both happy when we return. :)

Cheers

Tanya

Well, now that I am back and depressed because I'd rather be on a cruise ship (!!!) I am glad I don't have to worry so much about the cleaning! Now all I want to do is spend my time researching where I will take the next one and on what line!! Thanks everyone for letting me know it is NOT an uncommon affliction!! --Shannon

I think that it is perfectly normal for women to clean before going on vacation........Or before someone comes over. I not only cleaned, but I scraped and recaulked the shower. I was hoping it would give my husband some incentive. Sigh..........

It is Friday and I am leaving on Sunday for Bahamas - hurricane or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sailing on the Elation next week and am trying my best to clean my house. I'm a complete neat freak. My daughter on the other hand is a mess. Every time I clean something I turn around and it's messed up. I too feel like a house nazi. In all honesty, my house isn't that bad it's just that I want it to be "perfect" when I return. I have a feeling it's not going to be. (sigh)

Hopefully this won't ruin my cruise it's getting me really down at the moment. Ugh....

• 9 months later...

Hi Shannon,

I am anxiously awaiting our first cruise September 11th on the Miracle. I have already warned my husband that this house has to be spotless before we leave!!! When cubiclegirl said she thinks it has something to do with not coming home to a mess house, she hit it right on the nose!!! I'm just as crazy. Keep cleanin girl:)

Shauna Petersen

Carnival Miracle 9/11/05

Hi Shauna-

Noticed you're on the same cruise as me. Have you checked out the roll call for Sept. 11?:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=153945&highlight=MIRACLE+SEPT

There's quite a few of us going on this cruise!

Back to the topic at hand. I wish I had this obsession! My place is a mess when I return from vacation.

• 1 month later...

Shannon,

Do you think this was just a pre-trip thing to occupy your mind and body and make the time go faster before you left to cruise? I have my suitcase out and keep going over what I have inside it before I cruise (or do land vacations). I keep wondering what's missing. Maybe cleaning helps you to think of what needs to be taken with you.

I hear ya, CLEANING before leaving is completely NORMAL ;) I do everything from drawers/cupboards to scrubbing the floors to cleaning the laundry room!! I scrub the floors before I walk out to the airport, that way, there is no chance of any little smudges ;) Then, if we have someone drive us to the airport (in our car)...gotta clean that too!!!!

But it sure is a wonderful thing to come home to that fresh, clean smell with no clutter!!

Archived