Shopping with the Chef

rayjames7

One of my favorite things to do on Seabourn. We have done this in a dozen different ports.

Yes, it is free. Because they can only take a small number of PAX it is important to sign up immediately once it is announced. It used to be you boarded the ship, went to reception, asked when SWTC would take place and signed up. On my last two cruises( one big, one little ship) new procedure. Two days before the event there was an announcement in the Daily Herald ( the schedule you receive every evening which is placed on you bed by your stewardess while you are at dinner). Once you see it either go to reception ASAP or first thing next AM.

Where is your cruise going? There are some cruises where it does not take place for a variety of reasons. On our recent Adriatic BTB cruise the was only one on the second leg of the cruise -- in Corfu.

Newbie here with a quick question....heard a alot about the Shopping with the chef excursion. Is this a free excursion to accompany the chef? If so, how/when do we register? thanks in advance!:)

Yes it is free and only happens if there is a port that is worth the chef shopping in.

Just ask to be informed at the guest services desk and they will let you know if there is going to be a shopping trip.

Enjoyed it very much with Chef Martin in Tallin, Estonia. We bought fruit and cheese for the entire next week on the ship. We went into shops with the chef and tasted. Then we saw our choices onboard. No charge, just sign up.

If you are fortunate enough to sail with Chef Jes, be sure to go with him, even if the port is your least favorite. He is so personable and engaging with guests and seems to have the respect of the vendors. Watching Jes and a fishmonger settling on a price fair to each of them is seeing a master bargainer at work--and both are happily grinning at the end.

He buys what he needs and listens to his guest entourage for suggestions (as Chairsin said).

One of my favorite things to do on Seabourn. We have done this in a dozen different ports.

Yes, it is free. Because they can only take a small number of PAX it is important to sign up immediately once it is announced. It used to be you boarded the ship, went to reception, asked when SWTC would take place and signed up. On my last two cruises( one big, one little ship) new procedure. Two days before the event there was an announcement in the Daily Herald ( the schedule you receive every evening which is placed on you bed by your stewardess while you are at dinner). Once you see it either go to reception ASAP or first thing next AM.

Where is your cruise going? There are some cruises where it does not take place for a variety of reasons. On our recent Adriatic BTB cruise the was only one on the second leg of the cruise -- in Corfu.

I always signed up BEFORE it was announced. I never had a problem that way. On one of the last few cruises I was on people just randomly showed up without booking and IMO that crashed the experience.

One of the highlights of our 30 day Med cruise in June 2014 on Sojourn was shopping with Chef Neale. We shopped in Messina (Sicily) and Livorno (Italy). An awesome experience with many tastes and lots of great info and learning. Chef Neale is quite the entertainer and made all of his fellow shoppers feel very welcome and included.

It was fun watching Neale "haggle" with the stall owners and making sure they sliced the cheese, ham and other treats so he could share them with us as we shopped. He even bought us a coffee at the markets. The whole event was like being out with a good friend.

The market dinner in Colonnade a day or so after the shopping featured most of the items we purchased. We had a heads up from Neale what to expect and how he would prepare the items purchased.

As a side note, I mentioned to Chef Neale on the Messina excursion my love of rillettes which we enjoy when in France. He then offered to make some for us and they were delivered to our suite a few days later. Very nice gesture and why Seabourn is so special to us.

About people just turning up - I suggest to Seabourn if anyone is looking here that people who have signed up in the first place should be given a ticket of some sort, and those who just turn up could not then take part - assuming it meant too many people wanting to go. It really works well for no more than 15 or so.

Yes, Emperor. Norton I also used to sign up in advance the first day I boarded. But as I explained on my last two cruise they changed the system. If you inquire at the reception desk they will tell you they don't know when it will take place. Ditto if you ask the chef or Hotman . I guess they don't want those of us that know about it to have an unfair advantage. We shall see what happens next week when I board the Legend in London.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree. We signed up at Reception as soon as we saw this posted in the Herald. We were in a small van that only held about 8 pax plus the chef and his sous chef (who did most of the hauling back to van!). Any larger group would not have worked very well as many shops were quite small. I knew about this because of CC and did not want to miss this experience. Tallin market was wonderful.

We were on the same cruise and enjoyed shopping with Jes. He is a great personality

and came to the dining room every evening to enquire did we enjoy dinner.

Another great port to go shopping is Mumbai, the chef spent one hour choosing spices.

Milliemeter, we have been on the Australia cruise quite a few times but do not remember

that ever being advertised. I would think due to Australia's stringent rules about

taking food on or off the ship could be the reason.

But, note that sometimes it just does not happen. We were on the Sojourn for 68 days, waiting eagerly for Shopping with the Chef, but it never happened. No notice and no explanation, but I suppose I could have asked at Seabourn Sq.

But, note that sometimes it just does not happen. We were on the Sojourn for 68 days, waiting eagerly for Shopping with the Chef, but it never happened. No notice and no explanation, but I suppose I could have asked at Seabourn Sq.

I think shopping with the Chef is more likely on European itineraries. Pacific Island, and Asian ports there might be some concern regarding food storage in some ports. Our markets in Australia are usually only weekend mornings. So the chances for shopping in markets are very limited. I am sorry you were disappointed but asking at Seabourn Square might have been a good idea.

Julie