New X-Ray Machines

jdlowndes

So does Carnivals's 3rd party Security have new X-Ray machines that can detect liquid inside your bag or something?? Or is this a scare tactic.... Reason I ask is I'm considering buying Rum Runners but don't want to spend the money for them to get tossed when leaving for my next cruise...

Yes they do. The majority are using dual-energy x-ray machines that produce a color image of Organic and Inorganic materials on the screen. Your liquor will show up as an organic material in the shape of the inorganic container. These type of machines were introduced in the late 80's. So it is not something new.

There are newer machines coming on the market called Z Backscatter. It allows it to see more clearly through layers of objects that might be in the item being scanned.

The ability to detect has always been there, they are just now choosing to use it. A good example is the Port of New Orleans where NCL and Carnival both use the same facility and equipment. NCL has always taken booze away from passengers while Carnival has not. Until now.

Dave

So does Carnivals's 3rd party Security have new X-Ray machines that can detect liquid inside your bag or something?? Or is this a scare tactic.... Reason I ask is I'm considering buying Rum Runners but don't want to spend the money for them to get tossed when leaving for my next cruise...

What about the screening detector you walk through - does that show liquid?????

Yes they do. The majority are using dual-energy x-ray machines that produce a color image of Organic and Inorganic materials on the screen. Your liquor will show up as an organic material in the shape of the inorganic container. These type of machines were introduced in the late 80's. So it is not something new.

There are newer machines coming on the market called Z Backscatter. It allows it to see more clearly through layers of objects that might be in the item being scanned.

The ability to detect has always been there, they are just now choosing to use it. A good example is the Port of New Orleans where NCL and Carnival both use the same facility and equipment. NCL has always taken booze away from passengers while Carnival has not. Until now.

Dave

NEW Orleans- until now.. . Has anyone recently traveled on the Triumph and had their liquor taken away? I know before it was let the good times roll, how about now?

What about the screening detector you walk through - does that show liquid?????

It is a metal detector so as long as the object does not contain metal, it cannot detect it.

Now if they ever go to the full body scan using the Z-Backscatter technology, then it will be able to detect it.

Dave

NEW Orleans- until now.. . Has anyone recently traveled on the Triumph and had their liquor taken away? I know before it was let the good times roll, how about now?

I have a friend who works at the Port of NO. They told me that they have started taking liquor for those boarding the Triumph.

Dave

This is an image from a dual energy x-ray machine:

XRay.jpg

As Dave said, the organic material shows as orange. This is because most explosives are organic.

In this case, you can see flip flops, shirts, etc all in orange.

From what I understand, this technology is generally used for checking carry on luggage. Most of the checked bags are run through a high volume machine like a CT scanner...

:)

Liquor, but not wine, right?

There is another thread in which the OP says that two bottles of wine in his checked baggage were confiscated. The bags were unlocked when checked.

The contract does allow for one 750 ml bottle of wine per person in your carry on... not your checked bags...

If the report is accurate and I have no reason to doubt it, it sounds like some of the 'security' folks at Carnival are going overboard with this, no pun intended...

XRay.jpg

As Dave said, the organic material shows as orange. This is because most explosives are organic.

From what I understand, this technology is generally used for checking carry on luggage. Most of the checked bags are run through a high volume machine like a CT scanner...

Here's one showing liquids..it is a copyrighted but permission to use is granted if it is atributed to the author,so here it is

The original description page is/was here. All following user names refer to en.wikipedia.

• 2006-12-20 20:50 IDuke 1024×745× (372050 bytes) Photograph of a baggage screening x-ray display, taken at the Verkehrshaus (Swiss Museum of Transport). Lucern, Switzerland on October 23, 2006 by Duke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xray-verkehrshaus.jpg800px-Xray-verkehrshaus.jpg

Here's one showing liquids..it is a copyrighted but permission to use is granted if it is atributed to the author,so here it is

The original description page is/was here. All following user names refer to en.wikipedia.

• 2006-12-20 20:50 IDuke 1024×745× (372050 bytes) Photograph of a baggage screening x-ray display, taken at the Verkehrshaus (Swiss Museum of Transport). Lucern, Switzerland on October 23, 2006 by Duke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xray-verkehrshaus.jpg800px-Xray-verkehrshaus.jpg

Oooooo... a Coke smuggler!!!

It amazes me how they can scan so many checked bags, and can quickly identify all the prohibited items, not just the alcohol. This might be stupid... but human eyeballs scan every one of them as they go thru the machine, right? On a side note, I'm glad to know that what i drink is considered organic. Makes me feel healthy. :D

Oooooo... a Coke smuggler!!!

Yes, but is it Coke or Rum.

Other neat things you can do it turn the image into Black and White to better see the object. You can also inverse the image like a negative where the white is black and the black is white. You can also zoom in on an object. You can also intensify the scan to try and better see what is there.

Dave

My last cruise was the Freedom out of Miami. We didn't take any booze, but honestly we did not check our bags, we lugged them to our room so we would have them right away. The only time our luggage was x-rayed was at the main port entry, but I don't think they confiscate booze there, just looking for dangerous items such as bombs etc, don't even think they work for carnival. We could have been loaded with stuff I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

just came off her on the 6th of feb, no problems everything arrived intact. jack, crown,skyy,wine and champ. no problems:D:D

thanks for photos- I always learn something new on the CC boards- very interesting. BTW the bioscatter machines picked up a lifesaver mint in DH pocket at airport. So those are sensitive.

The rum runners are not detected on walk thru as get on ship- however screeners are requesting empty pockes upon request and will do a pat down if need be. DH cargo pockets were bulky, and busted the rumrunners- but given stern look and allowed to go thru in Grand Caymen.

How is coke organic? It's not and what would be in the vodka that would make it show up different than coke? I don't see it........coke is made up of more "crap" than vodka!!

Organic, as in organic material. Something that was once from a living organism.

Organic farming is different, growing crops without the use of synthetic chemicals.

If you put beer in a coke carton, can the xray machine tell the difference?

Not likely machine can tell, but we have brought cartons and they have been opened or inspected at carry on point

-never in checked luggage though. (Middle of carton can be used sshhh. Hot glue would apply here :rolleyes:)

XRay.jpg

I get the orange organic and green inorganic but what color would something organic in a plastic bottle look like? Would it just show the outline of the plastic bottle?

Archived