Is Azura a good choice for a couple?

Presto2

Hi,

Have posted on the thread re the 2014/15 cruises, but have so many questions to ask I thought it best to start a new thread rather than go off topic.

Hubby and I sailed on Oceana in 2010 and loved the whole experience. Since then, however, we have sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette - mainly because the ship is beautiful and the places we have been able to visit as part of a fly / cruise. We have to travel in August, but really want to go back to P&O next time and have seen a 17 day cruise to Spain and Greece from Southampton.

We're a little bit worried however, because quite a few reviews mention the lack of sunbeds on sea days and, as we will have about 9 sea days, we don't want to be stuck for somewhere to relax or have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed. Looking at the size of Azura and passenger numbers compared to the Silhouette it is worrying as Silhouette carries less passengers, but is far bigger ship in length.

Any opinions appreciated, as well as tips re good balcony cabin choices A,B,C,D

Many thanks everyone - its nice to be back on the P&O board

:):D

I have sailed several times on Ventura but not on Azura. The ships are however virtually identical apart from the open decks - Azra has a Seascreen, Ventura a retractabe roof. I have also sailed on Silhouette.

You are correct in your assumption that the P&O ships will feel noticably more crowded, and this is particularly apparent on the open decks. Whilst I never had any problem getting a sun lounger on Silhouette, on Ventura it can be a problem on sea days; this willl not be helped on Azura by part of the deck being taken by the pay extra Retreat, something Celebrity do not have. Celebrity also have pool butlers, P&O do not; sun bed hoggers can be a problem.

I have sailed several times on Ventura but not on Azura. The ships are however virtually identical apart from the open decks - Azra has a Seascreen, Ventura a retractabe roof. I have also sailed on Silhouette.

You are correct in your assumption that the P&O ships will feel noticably more crowded, and this is particularly apparent on the open decks. Whilst I never had any problem getting a sun lounger on Silhouette, on Ventura it can be a problem on sea days; this willl not be helped on Azura by part of the deck being taken by the pay extra Retreat, something Celebrity do not have. Celebrity also have pool butlers, P&O do not; sun bed hoggers can be a problem.

Thanks for that. Must admit, sun bed hoggers were a major issue on the Silhouette (for our first cruise in particular) so had to retreat to our aft cabin to relax there.

We are a couple who enjoyed Azura very much indeed and would happily go back on her at any time.

Deck C balconies are double the size of all the other balcony cabins on the ship. They are really big and offer either full sun or some shade too. We absolutely loved our balcony and made the most of it, highly recommended.

Sunbeds do go quite quickly on sea days and we are not early risers, but we were never not able to find two sunbeds together to relax, albeit sometimes they were in full sun and no shade.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Hello Presto2

We have sailed celebrity several times and Azura twice recently returning from

Caribbean, re sun beds we found many taken early, and books etc left

By the pool areas, and sun screen. But plenty free on the terrace by the

Retreat, it's nice and quiet and you can jiggle your lounger to gain some extra

Space from your neighbours :). From memory think I spoke to you about aft on

Silhouette on their forum, as Essex girl we opted for C deck nice deep balcony with a overhang

As on Celebrity aft, we pick forward on Azura hoping that

If there is smokers on their balconies it's going back along deck not forward if that makes sense.

Happy to help with any further info

Mrs Blue Sky

We are a couple who enjoyed Azura very much indeed and would happily go back on her at any time.

Sunbeds do go quite quickly on sea days and we are not early risers, but we were never not able to find two sunbeds together to relax, albeit sometimes they were in full sun and no shade.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Hi, just wondering when you have to cruise. We will have to go in high season mid August and know only too well how busy it gets ! We aren't early risers either and don't want to feel that we have to set our alarm clock on holiday ! I love the sun so would not want to be in the shade on the sea days

:)

Hello Presto2

We have sailed celebrity several times and Azura twice recently returning from

Caribbean, re sun beds we found many taken early, and books etc left

By the pool areas, and sun screen. But plenty free on the terrace by the

Retreat, it's nice and quiet and you can jiggle your lounger to gain some extra

Space from your neighbours :). From memory think I spoke to you about aft on

Silhouette on their forum, as Essex girl we opted for C deck nice deep balcony with a overhang

As on Celebrity aft, we pick forward on Azura hoping that

If there is smokers on their balconies it's going back along deck not forward if that makes sense.

Happy to help with any further info

Mrs Blue Sky

Hi Mrs Blue Sky - can remember us chatting re cabins etc on Celebrity - hello again :D I suppose I am worried that we will end up on a cruise with 9 / 10 sea days when there is nowhere to chill out in the sun (and the Retreat doesn't seem to have most beds in the shade)! On Silhouette we have our aft cabin so that we can have the sun and shade on sea days and it is perfect for us as hubby prefers the shade.

Big decisions !! From what I've read the C deck cabins are overlooked - does that bother you at all ? If not, any cabin numbers you can recommend?

Many thanks

Hi Mrs Blue Sky - can remember us chatting re cabins etc on Celebrity - hello again :D I suppose I am worried that we will end up on a cruise with 9 / 10 sea days when there is nowhere to chill out in the sun (and the Retreat doesn't seem to have most beds in the shade)! On Silhouette we have our aft cabin so that we can have the sun and shade on sea days and it is perfect for us as hubby prefers the shade.

Big decisions !! From what I've read the C deck cabins are overlooked - does that bother you at all ? If not, any cabin numbers you can recommend?

Many thanks

Hello again Presto 2

We found unless you are against the railing on C deck thats the only time you are seen from above,

they are pretty large balconies on C with the overhang from B deck you have the best of both worlds with shade

and sun just as on aft S Class Celebrity, we like room C101 no traffic

passing by as only a couple rooms to access that end, so pretty quiet had 2 years on the trott, we are booked

for next feb but this room was taken already so going C102 opposite side of ship, they are reasonably close to lifts and

Launderette (nice feature on a long cruise !) from the balcony

you look down on to D deck which is pretty exposed !, bridge is just above

but does not give any concern re being dark or being seen !!! They provide 2 chairs which are adjustable small table and footrest, in the cabin

is a kettle , lots of refills for tea/coffee plus a small fridge .

For reassurance we found plenty of deckchairs for sea days, just if you want to be by the pools on Lido for the DJ,

or Sun screen deck where there is cushions on the loungers, they go pretty quick and early, we found deck 19 lots of loungers there and deck by Retreat think its Aqua.

Sue

Hi, just wondering when you have to cruise. We will have to go in high season mid August and know only too well how busy it gets ! We aren't early risers either and don't want to feel that we have to set our alarm clock on holiday ! I love the sun so would not want to be in the shade on the sea days

:)

We are in the lucky position that we can cruise any time. We went to the Caribbean on that occasion and it was sunny every day :D

Presto

Azura is our favourite ship and I'm sure will be prefect for you. Yes, there will be 3000 passngers on board in peak season but there are lots of venues to eat, drink and be entertained. We also think there's lots of sunbeds, unless you want to be right by the pool where the sunbeds are too close together and get 'booked' very early. We prefer to find a quieter spot and have never had any trouble.

Until recently we had to cruise during the school hols so have been there same time that you'll be travelling. Don't let the scare-mongers put you off. There are many more people who love it than those who complain about its size.

Have you thought about an aft cabin on Azura if you liked the one you had on Silhouette? We had B749 and C753 and they were fab! This year we've beoked a balcony on C deck with a doubloe-size balcony. They're partly covered so you get sun and shade whereas the superior balcony cabins on D deck which are also big can be overlooked.

Just returned yesterday from two weeks on Azura our third cruise on her!

Have had a superior delux cabin on E deck these are spacious cabins with a sheltered balcony and not overlooked unlike D deck ones, also have had balcony cabins on C deck good cabins, standard size but they have deeper balconies half under cover half in the open and are not really overlooked unless you are stood at the rail.

As for the sunbed question they do make announcements and publish in the Horizon daily paper that you are requested not to leave belonging on sunbeds to reserve them. I did manage to find a sunbed on every sea day quite late in the morning/early afternoon. The pool and seascreen areas were always busy but as I like a quieter area I always found one up by the retreat and it was nice to see most people did take notice of the request.

The Azura is a lovely ship we have a back to back cruise booked on her this November, the Transatlantic plus two more weeks in the Caribbean, did the three week repositioning cruise on Ventura last November great cruise would recommend it.

Presto

Azura is our favourite ship and I'm sure will be prefect for you. Yes, there will be 3000 passngers on board in peak season but there are lots of venues to eat, drink and be entertained. We also think there's lots of sunbeds, unless you want to be right by the pool where the sunbeds are too close together and get 'booked' very early. We prefer to find a quieter spot and have never had any trouble.

Until recently we had to cruise during the school hols so have been there same time that you'll be travelling. Don't let the scare-mongers put you off. There are many more people who love it than those who complain about its size.

Have you thought about an aft cabin on Azura if you liked the one you had on Silhouette? We had B749 and C753 and they were fab! This year we've beoked a balcony on C deck with a doubloe-size balcony. They're partly covered so you get sun and shade whereas the superior balcony cabins on D deck which are also big can be overlooked.

Must admit we are pretty easy to please - our first cruises were on the OV2 and Oceana at the very front port side at speaking distance from the Bridge! On Silhouette we have been (and will be 2013) at the back! We just need a cabin that gives us sun and shade.

Thanks for your info - something else to look in to - too many choices at the moment !!!:D:)

Just returned yesterday from two weeks on Azura our third cruise on her!

Have had a superior delux cabin on E deck these are spacious cabins with a sheltered balcony and not overlooked unlike D deck ones, also have had balcony cabins on C deck good cabins, standard size but they have deeper balconies half under cover half in the open and are not really overlooked unless you are stood at the rail.

As for the sunbed question they do make announcements and publish in the Horizon daily paper that you are requested not to leave belonging on sunbeds to reserve them. I did manage to find a sunbed on every sea day quite late in the morning/early afternoon. The pool and seascreen areas were always busy but as I like a quieter area I always found one up by the retreat and it was nice to see most people did take notice of the request.

The Azura is a lovely ship we have a back to back cruise booked on her this November, the Transatlantic plus two more weeks in the Caribbean, did the three week repositioning cruise on Ventura last November great cruise would recommend it.

Just to check re the Retreat - are there any sunbeds that are not in the shade? Hubby loves the shade, but I am a sun flower and need my 'sun fix'

:D

Just to check re the Retreat - are there any sunbeds that are not in the shade? Hubby loves the shade, but I am a sun flower and need my 'sun fix'

You should come to Australia and do a cruise from here. Most Aussies (especially older wiser ones:) ) don't do "lying out in the sun" :) -- plenty of unoccupied sunbeds here. In fact I wish our ships would do away with 50% of the sunbeds , they just take up a lot of space.

Barry

Hi,

Have posted on the thread re the 2014/15 cruises, but have so many questions to ask I thought it best to start a new thread rather than go off topic.

Hubby and I sailed on Oceana in 2010 and loved the whole experience. Since then, however, we have sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette - mainly because the ship is beautiful and the places we have been able to visit as part of a fly / cruise. We have to travel in August, but really want to go back to P&O next time and have seen a 17 day cruise to Spain and Greece from Southampton.

We're a little bit worried however, because quite a few reviews mention the lack of sunbeds on sea days and, as we will have about 9 sea days, we don't want to be stuck for somewhere to relax or have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed. Looking at the size of Azura and passenger numbers compared to the Silhouette it is worrying as Silhouette carries less passengers, but is far bigger ship in length.

Any opinions appreciated, as well as tips re good balcony cabin choices A,B,C,D

Many thanks everyone - its nice to be back on the P&O board

I would not risk it. I have been on Azura and absolutely hated it. It was extremely crowded and you could not do anything you wanted.

Like you I have also been on Celebrity Solstice which was the lead class of which the Silhouette is a part of. Celebrity Solstice was much larger and carried less passengers.

On Azura it was so bad that passengers were lining up during the end of theatre shows forcing their way in whilst the end of the performance was still in progress just to find a seat. Then after you left the theatre the line was half way down the ship.

No chance of finding deck chairs on a sunny day on Azura they simply do not exist.

I have also been on the Sapphire Princess an exact clone of Azura except it has one less deck and only carries 2,600 passengers. A far more comfortable ship.

In the end Azura is a ship frame designed for 2,600 passengers that has had an extra deck crammed on and had been given no extra space and as a result is an extremely overcrowded ship where the only people that suffer is the passengers and the only benefit is greater profit for P&O.

Morning Presto,

Have not been in Retreat, planning to try next year, but from what we could see yes

some are full sun some shade, we noticed you had to get there prompt

For the full sun beds as people were saving these then going off to breakfast :confused:

can I just add we never had an issue getting to the theatre, yes if you turn up at show at

start time it is full, like any land base theatre, we were generally seated

10 to 15 mins before curtain up and it was always 3/4 empty , though

on the 2 times on Azura not school hols, so may be different then.

Sue

Many thanks for your help everyone - just read them all, some really helpful information.

We're totally undecided about what to do now be honest. :confused::) We like the look of Azura, but as it will be peak season we know she will be full of families. I don't have an issue with that at all as long as we have some space and somewhere to relax. We have noticed that another ship - The Aurora we think - does the same cruise 3 weeks before Azura, but I imagine we will have the same problem on there as well.

We have looked at the adults only ships, Oriana in particular, I but they are all set dining and we really don't fancy that unless we can have a table for 2. (Aren't anti social, but prefer to have some quality time together on holiday).

Ahhhh, decisions, decisions. Any suggestions re nice ships appreciated !

"We have looked at the adults only ships, Oriana in particular, I but they are all set dining and we really don't fancy that unless we can have a table for 2. (Aren't anti social, but prefer to have some quality time together on holiday)."

In the new 2014/15 pre-brochure leaflet it does say that freedom dining is going to be available on 6 P&O ships from next year might be worth checking this out when the new brochure comes out (next week?)

"We have looked at the adults only ships, Oriana in particular, I but they are all set dining and we really don't fancy that unless we can have a table for 2. (Aren't anti social, but prefer to have some quality time together on holiday)."

In the new 2014/15 pre-brochure leaflet it does say that freedom dining is going to be available on 6 P&O ships from next year might be worth checking this out when the new brochure comes out (next week?)

Thanks for that - will keep my eyes open. Nice of them to release the brochures just in time for the Easter holidays ! :)

Many thanks for your help everyone - just read them all, some really helpful information.

We're totally undecided about what to do now be honest. :confused::) We like the look of Azura, but as it will be peak season we know she will be full of families. I don't have an issue with that at all as long as we have some space and somewhere to relax. We have noticed that another ship - The Aurora we think - does the same cruise 3 weeks before Azura, but I imagine we will have the same problem on there as well.

We have looked at the adults only ships, Oriana in particular, I but they are all set dining and we really don't fancy that unless we can have a table for 2. (Aren't anti social, but prefer to have some quality time together on holiday).

Ahhhh, decisions, decisions. Any suggestions re nice ships appreciated !

Aurora is a great ship and not crowded at all. In fact you will find it has the most open deck space per passenger out of all the P&O ships. The Aurora and Oriana. Aurora has a good mix of passengers. I did the grand event last July on it and easily got a table for two in the main restaurant. It is true it has fixed dining, but if you are guaranteed a table for two at least you know you will be seated to eat opposed to a possible wait on other ships for a table to free up.

I had been keen to try Azura and did during its maiden season. After having been on similar ships it was just too crowded to enjoy any of it at all. If you like the shows then its a fight to get a seat.

Having tried Celebrity I did find they cater to more younger modern/trendy cruisers than P&O. Everything about Celebrity seemed as if they were innovative and keeping up with modern trends whilst P&O seemed to have the more traditional feel with rooots back to old time cruising. They tried to maintain the strict dress codes and formal approach to cruising.

We've just got a quote for 2 cruises - one a 14 day med cruise on Celebrity Eclipse in an AQ cabin and the other for the 17 day cruise on the Azura with a C deck cabin (thanks for your advice folks).

The price is more or less the same, but taking in to account OBC then Azura is £110 cheaper.

We are very tempted to be honest as we know that drinks on P&O are sooo much cheaper and fewer gratuity charges. Like the traditional feel of Oceana / P&O last time and sort of missed it on Celebrity.

The only thing that worries me is the old question re having a sunny spot on a sea day. Would appreciate it if anyone who knows the C deck cabins can let me know the chance of getting some sun on a sea day (weather permitting) in these cabins. We have been so lucky with our aft cabins on Silhouette so want something similar. Really don't care if we are overlooked. Similarly, if there is a better cabin for this please let us know.

All and any opinions appreciated

Many thanks

:D:)

Archived