Doctors Cave-tell me more

mitsugirly

We will be going back to Jamaica this year and doing my research. We will dock in Montego Bay this time. We have already done Hilton Rose Hall that last time we were here and want something different. If I can't find anything, I will probably just book Sunset with Resort For a Day since we have booked twice with them and had great service with no problems. However, I am weighing my options to see what else there is to do.

I have ran across several post about Doctors Cave and I am putting this on the list as a "consideration".

So, I have read several threads, but nothing I'm really looking for is being answered.

1) How far away is it from the cruise port?

2) How much is a taxi there? Is it per taxi or per person?

3) What does it cost to get in to Doctors Cave?

4) Are there taxi's there waiting to take you back when ready or does a staff member have to call one for you?

5) Is the place fairly safe?

6) Are there vendors going up and down the beach hassling you to buy, buy, buy?

7) Are there showers, dressing rooms and facilities there?

8) Do they have concessions/food there? Is so, what type of food do they offer and what type of prices for food and drinks (soda and frozen drinks)?

9) Is there snorkeling there? If so, where at? Is it accessible from shore and if so, how far out?

10) I know this is a funny question, but can you see the cruise ship in port from here? (I'm only asking because back in the 80's we went somewhere that is similar to this place, had to pay to get in, was fairly close to port to where you could see the ships, and we walked back and it was maybe an hour walk back to the port...NOT that I'm going to do this again, but just trying to figure out if it's the same place or not).

Just wanted to say, I HAVE had a bad experience in Jamaica. It is not one of my favorite ports...so please don't make suggestions that would have us walking anywhere away from the beach we pay to get in to...like for food or shopping or whatever. If there's food there, we will intend on buying there at the beach. If there's not, we'll wait until we get back to the ship. I'm only saying this because I have read a few things about people walking down toward Margaritaville to some pork or bbq place. We have no intentions on doing this. ;)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me in planning. I really appreciate everyones input and time to reply. :)

When do you cruise? We are going the week before Easter, and plan to go to Doctors Cave when we stop in Montego Bay. I can let you know our experience when we get back if you cruise after us. But from my research, it's a quick taxi ride and right down from margaritaville and the hip strip. It's $6 entrance and $6 more for chairs/umbrellas and a little restaurant/bar on site. I have read a lot of good reviews and am anxious to try it. We have been to Jamaica one other time but docked in Ocho Rios.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When do you cruise? We are going the week before Easter, and plan to go to Doctors Cave when we stop in Montego Bay. I can let you know our experience when we get back if you cruise after us. But from my research, it's a quick taxi ride and right down from margaritaville and the hip strip. It's $6 entrance and $6 more for chairs/umbrellas and a little restaurant/bar on site. I have read a lot of good reviews and am anxious to try it. We have been to Jamaica one other time but docked in Ocho Rios.

The date we will be booking is for April 4th, so we'll be on the cruise for Easter.

Any idea of the cost for a taxi? Thanks for the price on the entrance and chairs rental.

When you say it's right down from margaritaville and the hip strip, is that where they drop you off at? Or will they drop you off right at the place? Just wondering since you mentioned those two places.

The price is I think $4 a person. They will drop you at Doctors Cave. The food is good at the restaurant, swimming and snorkelling is good. Mitsugirly, I saw you like to snorkel, go along the left jetty and out along the buoy line. I suggest that on your way you ask the cabbie to point out Pork Pit, then when you are done at DC you either walk to or cab to Pork Pit and get some jerk (Jamaican Barbecue). I grew up about a mile from DC. I posted a pic on another thread here it is in case you missed it.

IMG_3909_zps16e16cca.jpg

1) Doctor's Cave is about 2 miles from the pier. Maybe 2 1/2.

2) We took the shuttle there and it was $5.00 each.

3) I believe it was $6.00 to get in. Plus we got two chairs and an umbrella for another $15 or so.

4) Yes, there will be plenty of taxis waiting to take you back. Make sure it has a red license plate. I think it was $7.00 each.

5) It is very safe there.

6) I do remember a couple of beach vendors, but they were not pushy at all. I bought a coconut from one of them.

7) Yes, there are showers, foot washes, and changing rooms.

8) They have bar and food as well. Prices were "reasonable".

9) You can snorkel out by the buoys.

10) I am not sure if you can see the ship from the beach.

Edited by ReggaeRoy

The date we will be booking is for April 4th, so we'll be on the cruise for Easter.

Any idea of the cost for a taxi? Thanks for the price on the entrance and chairs rental.

When you say it's right down from margaritaville and the hip strip, is that where they drop you off at? Or will they drop you off right at the place? Just wondering since you mentioned those two places.

Well you'll be right after me then so my review wouldn't help much!! But I think the taxi will drop you right there at doctors cave. Just was pointing out that it's close to these other popular places so should be a lot of taxis available for the ride back :)

Thank you SO MUCH for all of the information provided everyone.

Tell me more about this shuttle. Is it cheaper than the taxi I assume? Is there a shuttle stop that you go to instead of heading to the cabs? I'm thinkin in my head what the port looks like and I remember going out the building and there was a road (within the gates still) going both ways that people caught the cabs. Then you headed out the gate. Is this also where the shuttles are located at?

What does the red license plate mean? Are they regulated and all charge the same price?

Out by the buoys where you snorkel, how far out is it and how deep? What type of snorkeling out there? Just fish or is there coral and rock too?

Anyone have any pricing on drinks and food at this place?

Doctor's Cave Beach is one of the nicest beaches we've visited and we've enjoyed many, many beaches throughout the Caribbean and Mexico. Lots of character (like Sapphire, Mitsugirly) and just gorgeous. We stayed at Doctor's Cave Beach Hotel across the street and we were blown away by the beauty of this beach.

You will definitely want to get away from the downtown area near the crusie dock and head straight to the beach. $5pp to enter the beach when we were there, may be $6 now. It's patrolled by the police and few vendors are allowed on the beach, or at least that was the case when we were there. Nice little beach bar with swing seats and great drinks. Margaritaville is just a few doors down and is a great spot, their waterslide into the ocean is super fast. You will see the mobay hustlers on the street, just say no thanks twice and you'll be fine. There are some nice shops though the other side of the beach entrance.

If you stop in the hotel across the way check out their back bar and have a Red Stripe say hi to Kenny! :)

Enjoy!

[EDIT] We spent time on Seven Mile Beach in Negril and on the beaches of Ocho Rios and Doctor's Cave was our favorite for the beach and water.

Edited by blue_water

Doctor's Cave Beach is one of the nicest beaches we've visited and we've enjoyed many, many beaches throughout the Caribbean and Mexico. Lots of character (like Sapphire, Mitsugirly) and just gorgeous. We stayed at Doctor's Cave Beach Hotel across the street and we were blown away by the beauty of this beach.

You will definitely want to get away from the downtown area near the crusie dock and head straight to the beach. $5pp to enter the beach when we were there, may be $6 now. It's patrolled by the police and few vendors are allowed on the beach, or at least that was the case when we were there. Nice little beach bar with swing seats and great drinks. Margaritaville is just a few doors down and is a great spot, their waterslide into the ocean is super fast. You will see the mobay hustlers on the street, just say no thanks twice and you'll be fine. There are some nice shops though the other side of the beach entrance.

If you stop in the hotel across the way check out their back bar and have a Red Stripe say hi to Kenny! :)

Enjoy!

[EDIT] We spent time on Seven Mile Beach in Negril and on the beaches of Ocho Rios and Doctor's Cave was our favorite for the beach and water.

Thanks for your input Blue. I really appreciate it...especially since you are familiar with the type of beaches I like. :D ;)

I'm definitely thinking about doing this instead of Sunset. It sounds cheaper and prettier.

I really think this just might be the beach that I went to back in the 80's. Back then...it was NOT a good experience and scared the crap out of me, but I'm sure things have changed. ;)

Thank you SO MUCH for all of the information provided everyone.

Tell me more about this shuttle. Is it cheaper than the taxi I assume? Is there a shuttle stop that you go to instead of heading to the cabs? I'm thinkin in my head what the port looks like and I remember going out the building and there was a road (within the gates still) going both ways that people caught the cabs. Then you headed out the gate. Is this also where the shuttles are located at?

What does the red license plate mean? Are they regulated and all charge the same price?

Out by the buoys where you snorkel, how far out is it and how deep? What type of snorkeling out there? Just fish or is there coral and rock too?

Anyone have any pricing on drinks and food at this place?

I'm also planning to going to Doctor's Cave on my upcoming cruise. Unfortunately, it looks like you'll be there right after me, so I won't have a chance to let you know what I've learned. From what I've read, it looks like the bar at the beach is called SAND. I was able to find there bar menu with price's on their Facebook page. I haven't been able to find a food menu yet though. Hope that helps!

mitsugyrly, the most expensive thing on the menu is $13 escovitched fish, it is really good. Jamaican patties are about $2. The reef has lots of hard coral. Lots of varieties, elk, brain... For $10 the lifeguards will take you outside of the buoy line. Remember to go to the pork pit on the way back. My brother is going there next week, i will try and get him to send a photo of the menu.

but I remember my visit to Doctor's cave well. We took the shuttle, and the first person who got off had only a $20 bill. Naturally the driver had no change, so she paid $20 for her ride. So bring small bills. The beach was decent and not unreasonably crowded. The security guard was blatantly selling drugs, but it still seemed safe enough. There were vendors, but they were not bothersome. The prices were reasonable. When we left there was a cab driver right there, but it was the scariest cab ride of my life. He was not even a little bit sober. When I got out of the cab I swore if I ever went back to Jamaica I would stay on the ship. Having said that, if you can get a tour operated excursion, you should be safe enough.

I'm also planning to going to Doctor's Cave on my upcoming cruise. Unfortunately, it looks like you'll be there right after me, so I won't have a chance to let you know what I've learned. From what I've read, it looks like the bar at the beach is called SAND. I was able to find there bar menu with price's on their Facebook page. I haven't been able to find a food menu yet though. Hope that helps!

Thanks for this info. I found it and I'm going to check out the place. :)

mitsugyrly, the most expensive thing on the menu is $13 escovitched fish, it is really good. Jamaican patties are about $2. The reef has lots of hard coral. Lots of varieties, elk, brain... For $10 the lifeguards will take you outside of the buoy line. Remember to go to the pork pit on the way back. My brother is going there next week, i will try and get him to send a photo of the menu.

Ok, I have to ask...what are Jamaican patties? (and more importantly will I start to hallucinate after eating one? :confused:

Do you have to go outside the buoy in order to see the coral and reef? Or there's just more out past that? I would prefer to do it on my own if it's right there at the buoy. Any idea how deep it is at that area?

We won't be adventuring outside the beach once we arrive...so unless the pork pit is there, it will do us no good. I'm not really a big meat eater anyhow, so it probably wouldn't interest me too much. :)

but I remember my visit to Doctor's cave well. We took the shuttle, and the first person who got off had only a $20 bill. Naturally the driver had no change, so she paid $20 for her ride. So bring small bills. The beach was decent and not unreasonably crowded. The security guard was blatantly selling drugs, but it still seemed safe enough. There were vendors, but they were not bothersome. The prices were reasonable. When we left there was a cab driver right there, but it was the scariest cab ride of my life. He was not even a little bit sober. When I got out of the cab I swore if I ever went back to Jamaica I would stay on the ship. Having said that, if you can get a tour operated excursion, you should be safe enough.

Ok, this worries me, especially with having a 6 year old with us. :(

Can anyone tell me what backs up against this beach? Is it houses or a hotel or ________?

Just google patties and Jamaica, very good and the main food. Basically a dough or pastry with different fillings, some spicy and we love 'em.

There's a resort wall if I remember, at least to the right of the gate. But we never felt unsafe there at all.

If you walk further past Sandals you'll find some street vendors with the best jerk chicken you'll find anywhere. Don't be put-off by the state of the grill or the garbage cans being used as containers. ;)

Just google patties and Jamaica, very good and the main food. Basically a dough or pastry with different fillings, some spicy and we love 'em.

There's a resort wall if I remember, at least to the right of the gate. But we never felt unsafe there at all.

If you walk further past Sandals you'll find some street vendors with the best jerk chicken you'll find anywhere. Don't be put-off by the state of the grill or the garbage cans being used as containers. ;)

Since you said "street vendors" I assume this is outside of the beach?

Does this beach have water toys? I have found a few pictures of water trampolines in the pictures and was just wondering. Do they charge to use them?

Yes, since we were staying at a hotel across from the beach I remember walking across to the gate for entry to the beach, Margaritavile was to the left of the gate. By the way, the fastest waterside we've ever seen drops you into the ocean at Margaritaville. Walking from the gate in the other direction there was a group of shops, and beyond that in a more "local" area some jerk stands serving excellent jerk chicken, pork, and snapper. Truly some of the best food we've had!

I can't remember if the resort fronting the beach was Sandals or another resort. And it's been awhile so there could have been more development too.

[EDIT]

Note that there may be locals asking you to stop by their shops down the street, they are street vendors and are trying to compete with the nicer shops who pay rent. If you walk the street you may be approached by a girl offering to walk you to where you are going, this is common and she'll expect a dollar in return. But really, if you just say "no thank you mon" you are fine. It's a tourist area and we never felt unsafe even at night.

Edited by blue_water

But really, if you just say "no thank you mon" you are fine. It's a tourist area and we never felt unsafe even at night.

A Jamaican local on these boards have always told us to NEVER say "thank you" when you are telling the locals "no" because they see that as a "yes". They will keep hounding you because you used those words. She said always just say "NO!" without the thank you and they do not see that as rude. :p

And the trampolines at the public beach (and I believe there was one at Margaritaville?) we're free when we were there.

Thanks for the info Blue. I really appreciate it.

I've stayed at this beach for a week at the hotel which is now a Sandals. It is one of the nicest beaches in Montego Bay.

The best snorkeling, IMO, is just beyond the raft and water toys. There are corals and fish, and the depth is between 12 to 20'.

As far as the vendors, just wave a "no" with your hand, say "one love mon", everything Irae", or "non no no I don't smoke it no more" with a smile, and you should be fine. As a guy from NYC, it was probably easier for me to turn a vendor away, I've had plenty of practice in midtown Manhattan.