Diabetes & snorkeling in Cozumel

janikh

I have noticed that Carnival prohibits snorkeling on its excursions in Cozumel if you have diabetes. Does anyone know why this is? Also, do the private tours have the same restriction? We have cruised several times, and have never run into this in any other port.

They are probably concerned about hypo-gylycemic reactions, a.k.a., insulin reactions, and not having anything to bring your blood sugar up. I never assume anyone will have the things I need to take care the situation if one arises. I take extra everything. I'm on an insulin pump so I take a BG meter, vial of insulin, syringes, batteries, sugar supply, etc. If you are responsible about it and pack things youself, I say sign up for it if you are willing to risk them not letting you snorkel. If they don't ask, don't tell. ;)

You can always taxi down to the state park (Chankanaab) and snorkel there on your own. $10 taxi ride and $16 entrance to the park. There is a taxi combo that gives you a free t-shirt and buy one get one drink special.

cozumelparks.com

I too would recommend Chank Park. You are right there in the park and should you have a problem, medical attention is at your aid. Your medical emergency will not interfere with someone else's snorkeling.

I can't recommend "don't ask, don't tell" on a reef dive, because this is your life they are dealing with and it certainly is not responsible to not only endanger your life, but ruin someone else's vacation because you have an episode.

Carnival certainly wants your money and would not have these limits, if they did not have good reason.

They are probably concerned about hypo-gylycemic reactions, a.k.a., insulin reactions, and not having anything to bring your blood sugar up. I never assume anyone will have the things I need to take care the situation if one arises. I take extra everything. I'm on an insulin pump so I take a BG meter, vial of insulin, syringes, batteries, sugar supply, etc. If you are responsible about it and pack things youself, I say sign up for it if you are willing to risk them not letting you snorkel. If they don't ask, don't tell. ;)

Is there any reason that snorkeling would increase the risk of a blood sugar fluctuation over any other type of activity?

Kitty - Snorkeling is a physical activity that would cause you to use more blood glucose. I'm not sure if the breathing through the snorkel would cause any additional issues.

JerseyGirl - That's a good thought but I can't imagine that would be a factor in their decision. I would think they are more concerned about immediate threats to health and safety than something that could manifest itself later.

LHP - Is it possible that I could "ruin someone else's vacation"? Yes, but no more so than any other participant. The out-of-shape person on the trip could just as easily have a heart attack and ruin the trip. I'll go with the don't ask, don't tell because I know my situation. Others need to know their situation before making such a decision. If this were a dive trip I would say more caution is required. The OP asked about snorkeling and I see much less danger in that. I would never suggest any diabetic do a resort course and go diving. I've thought about getting certified prior to our trip to Grand Cayman and Cozumel (my doctor would sign the release for me to do it) but just can't find the time. I'll just be snorkeling but hope to get that training soon.

My comments are based upon my situation. I'm a (relatively) fit 42 yo that has had diabetes for 24 years. I've been on an insulin pump for 11+ years and, knock on wood, have no eye, kidney, nerve, heart complications yet. I'm very proactive in checking my blood sugar 6-8 times a day, am very hypoglycemic aware, and always take a supply of sugar and my meter when I do an excursion. I've done snorkeling excursions in many places. I even stepped on a thorn on the beach in Hawaii that went all the way through my sandle and into my foot. I still put my flippers on and went snorkeling. I did get a tetnus shot the next day. :)

Thanks for the input! We have always snorkeled on our past cruises, and there has never been a problem. I am asking for my cousin, who is on a pump, and he has never run into any trouble with it. So, I think we will just skip the Carnival excursions & work out 1 on our own.

Thanks for the information dive in. Janikh, We've always been very happy at Dzul Ha (now called The Money Bar). It is free, though they would like you to order drinks and perhaps something to eat.

The beach access is easy and many of the tours from the ships stop there to snorkel.

Archived