Living on a cruise ship?

grouchomarx

Just throwing this out there because the cost of nursing home care has been mentioned. In our area (upstate NY) the monthly nursing home rate is $10,078. In the NYC Metro area it is $12,157. So yea, theoretically, perpetual cruising would be cheaper.

Not sure yet if I could handle full time living or not. I seem to be on Mario's ship every cruise I take, and also the tall blonde/white haired ponytailed guy, too (not sure of his name). This year I'm aiming for 100 days aboard and next year it'll be at least 150 aboard -- most solo. I'm in my early 40s though and still love the sea, but the more I charter the 4-cabin sailing catamarans, the more I think I would do better with a liveaboard of my own (that I can charter out) than being on a ship with 4000 people cramming into the buffet at the same time I do, haha.

Either way, my future is at sea in some fashion. Maybe half cruises half private sail boat.

I do think that cruising is cheaper than living on land for most things. I don't mind the tiny stateroom -- even my homes are tiny on land, and I'm never in them except when I sleep.

VOOM Internet speeds makes it even more appealing.

Dddone-

I would sell my house and keep the cash

I am sure if I planned moving into a ship I would plan it a couple years in advance, surely I should get the same room, if not it be nice having a different location/deck

The whole idea is not to have any extra stuff that I don't need, there is plenty of room to store things including under the bed in storage cubes.

I don't mind purchasing airfare if needed, it shouldn't happen often at all

I am sure the cruise lines can make a special rate for a living resident....I heard of this happening, if not its still a lot cheaper

I would have a balcony for sure maybe a junior suite

I don't think living on a cruise ship is entirely comparable to a nursing home or assisted living facility. I know people rave about their stateroom attendants but I doubt any of them want to come and spoon feed you 3 meals a day or change your adult diapers!

Plus if you don't have an actual residence in the US, you will have trouble getting health insurance. Even an annual travel plan won't cover everyday medical needs.

When I was younger and first started cruising in 1980, I always thought I would love to work and later live on a cruise ship. A lot of things have changed since I've gotten older and had kids, and now grandkids. I have strange quirks that would eventually get to me being on a ship that long (35 days has been longest). I love the peaceful solitude of my home. I love getting up early in the morning with my coffee and listening to the birds. And I do love my TV shows...LOL. I think the hustle bustle of cruising, cabin door slamming, loud talkers at 2am passing by my cabin, out of control kids, rude passengers would eventually take its toll (I told you I had quirks).

Its ok that some people enjoy it, but I think for the majority of us, a cruise will still be a getaway and we will continue to keep our feet planted firmly on the ground.

I couldn't do it. I like to have the freedom to go where I want and not have to be confined in a ship all day. Even if I could no longer drive I'd have a problem with living on a ship as I wouldn't have friends to socialize with. In an assisted living facility you see the same people every day and everyone makes friends (until they die, which is common in such facilities). But on a ship you'd be the odd man (or woman) out and every new crop of passengers would be unfamiliar to you. I love cruising but as a vacation activity, not a permanent residence.

We are planning on retiring in 4-5 years at 55-56. While I love cruising, I also love land vacations. Our plans are to sell off everything, downsize to a smaller new home in FL, and purchase a slightly used Class A 35' Motorhome. Using FL as our base camp then we will cruise, RV, or fly whenever and wherever the mood strikes us and our health allows us. We love to travel. Our oldest has already moved 16 hours away and I can't see the youngest sticking around MI once she gets her college degrees. I will happily travel to wherever they land to visit with them for a while. I can see DH's family and what's left of mine easily coming down to FL to visit us and with today's technology it is not hard to keep in face to face contact with those you love. We have found that out this past year with DS. I face time/messager him a couple times a week on Facebook. I just don't think I could limit myself to cruising only though and living on a ship full-time. There is still too much out there in just the USA alone that I want to see and do and I am looking forward to visiting Grandkids someday.

The article missed a couple of points: $100 per day sounds like a per person rate in an inside cabin. If you want your own space without going bat-crazy, you'd have to pay a bit over $200 per day - plus add $13 or so for tips, a few dollars for Internet, phone, etc, any drinks, laundry (unless comped as a frequent cruiser). The odds and ends would easily come to $50 per day. Then you'd need to cover you ashore time, car storage, where to keep all your stuff - it won't fit under the bunk.

Finally - you would get pretty tired of being on board all the time --- a week or so is great, but a lifetime would feel like a prison sentence.

So, the $250 per day -$7,500 per month- $90,000 per year might be better spent on rent and buying and cooking your own groceries.

We've met people living on board- one couple has a small flat at the turn around point so they can spend a day at home sorting out affairs such as doctors, prescriptions etc; another was living on board after a bereavement, so didn't know how long this would be for.

Is the ResidenSea still around? A boat practically full of condos...

The World is scheduled to stop in Seattle on July 2nd at Pier 66 downtown. Not sure how long but nothing else is scheduled to be at Pier 66 until the 7th so very likely the entire 4th of July holiday period. Probably arrives after NCL Pearl departs at 4pm on the 2nd. Come back to this thread on the 2nd and click Space Needle Cam to watch it arrive.

I don't think living on a cruise ship is entirely comparable to a nursing home or assisted living facility.

Precisely. Living on a cruise ship could be compared to living in a retirement apartment, but not in a nursing home.

On one of our cruises, we saw a couple struggling with dementia. They would come to the dining room, and then forget why they were there and wander off. The crew tried to direct them, but could not devote the time they needed. I wondered about their safety, too.

Just throwing this out there because the cost of nursing home care has been mentioned. In our area (upstate NY) the monthly nursing home rate is $10,078. In the NYC Metro area it is $12,157. So yea, theoretically, perpetual cruising would be cheaper.

Do you really think a cruise line would let you remain at n board if your requirements came anywhere near the services nursing homes exist to provide: there is no way they would provide "memory care" for the mildly demented - or even prescription medication reminding?

As soon as you started needing ANY special attention they would put you ashore.

Thanks, she's why we can't cruise more often. I wonder if condo ship allows pets?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Maybe, with the same restrictions that any cruise line has regarding bringing domestic animals into foreign countries. You'd have to check out what's required, and see to getting the proper permits. And keep them current.

We are always amazed that some folks who might take a 7 day Caribbean cruise, once or twice a year, might think they want to live on a cruise ship. DW and I have actually talked about living on a ship (we are retired) but despite having cruised well over 1000 days (including several cruises over 2 months long) it is still not something we would do. But the OP might be shocked to know that some folks already live on cruise ships (we have met one couple on Princess). And there is "The World" which is essentially a large condo complex at sea...which has been cruising around the world for several years. Folks can buy their cabins (they are actually apartments which include kitchens) and live aboard. Many owners are only aboard several months a year and often choose to rent out their "apartments" to other cruisers. So the concept of living on a cruise ship is nothing new...but does take pretty deep pockets. We mentioned that we met a couple that used to live on the Royal Princess about 10 months a year. And there used to be a lady who lived on the old QEII...most of the year..

At this point I should disclose that we have spent over 100 days a year on cruise ships (a few times) and loved every day. But there is a big difference between 100 days....and 300+ days.

As to living on a RCI ship...we don;t think so. RCI is fine and has their fans (we used to be fans and our DD was Diamond by age 14) but by the time folks reach retirement age...RCI is generally not what they desire. Hence "The World" which is very upscale and run more like a high class apartment building then a RCI/Carnival cruise. Trust me that most 65+ folks are not looking for hairy leg contests, water slides, wave pools, etc. DW and I might like living on The World...but that ship is beyond our budget.

Hank

We are always amazed that some folks who might take a 7 day Caribbean cruise, once or twice a year, might think they want to live on a cruise ship. DW and I have actually talked about living on a ship (we are retired) but despite having cruised well over 1000 days (including several cruises over 2 months long) it is still not something we would do. But the OP might be shocked to know that some folks already live on cruise ships (we have met one couple on Princess). And there is "The World" which is essentially a large condo complex at sea...which has been cruising around the world for several years. Folks can buy their cabins (they are actually apartments which include kitchens) and live aboard. Many owners are only aboard several months a year and often choose to rent out their "apartments" to other cruisers. So the concept of living on a cruise ship is nothing new...but does take pretty deep pockets. We mentioned that we met a couple that used to live on the Royal Princess about 10 months a year. And there used to be a lady who lived on the old QEII...most of the year..

At this point I should disclose that we have spent over 100 days a year on cruise ships (a few times) and loved every day. But there is a big difference between 100 days....and 300+ days.

As to living on a RCI ship...we don;t think so. RCI is fine and has their fans (we used to be fans and our DD was Diamond by age 14) but by the time folks reach retirement age...RCI is generally not what they desire. Hence "The World" which is very upscale and run more like a high class apartment building then a RCI/Carnival cruise. Trust me that most 65+ folks are not looking for hairy leg contests, water slides, wave pools, etc. DW and I might like living on The World...but that ship is beyond our budget.

Hank

Yep plenty of people do it.

Funnily enough not that many live on The World. They spend a fair bit of time, but only a handful actually live in her.

Yep plenty of people do it.

Funnily enough not that many live on The World. They spend a fair bit of time, but only a handful actually live in her.

When she was coming to our town, it would have cost £35 to take the ferry to the previous port, on the Isle of Man, and £600 to sail back overnight on The World.... that was the price of a week's cruise for one of us. :D

The local paper said that the Poundland shop (Everything One Pound!) was full of cruisers.... either they were looking for cheap toothpaste, or the crew were having a bonanza!

Edited by jocap
typo

A longtime friend of mine received a "tip" of using a unit on The World from one of her clients. She used the tip for sailing the Dalmation Coast. She said it was "interesting." There are restaurants onboard and a little market. There are high-end clothes and jewelry stores. But, there was really little interaction among the others - it seemed that most entertained themselves in their units at night.