Poutine Bar

dheianevans

Did not know what poutine is, so I looked it up in the Wikipedia where I learned that it originated in rural Quebec, but has spread. So did you visit Quebec on your cruise? I found poutine listed on menus' from Charlottetown, PEI, Halifax, NS, and Sydney, NS; but I also found it in Portland, ME.

BTW, you might ask your question on the HAL forum.

SBtS

I have been on the Canada/New England cruise on HAL 7 times since 1998 and never remember a Poutine Bar on the ship.

I've been in the spring, summer, and fall so it's definitely not a factor of the season in which I've sailed.

I've also sailed over Canadian National Holidays and nothing was done, so it's not that either.

I'm torn about the idea. I really like poutine, but I'm not sure how HAL would interpret it. I'm sailing from Quebec this fall, I will have to look out for the Poutine Bar.

Did not know what poutine is, so I looked it up in the Wikipedia where I learned that it originated in rural Quebec, but has spread. So did you visit Quebec on your cruise? I found poutine listed on menus' from Charlottetown, PEI, Halifax, NS, and Sydney, NS; but I also found it in Portland, ME.

BTW, you might ask your question on the HAL forum.

SBtS

The Blue Rooster in Portland's Old Port area does a take on poutine using Tater Tots, that's called "The Three Little Piggies" in addition to the potatoes, gravy and cheese curds, it has bacon, sausage and pork belly. Divine.

It was just a special feature on the Lido deck one night at sail away time. Just like they have a salmon bake one night during Alaska cruises. If you Google Poutine bar Holland America, there's a picture of a woman standing in front of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, when I did my first Canada/NE cruise on the Maasdam in 2012, the Poutine Bar was offered at the sail-away in Québec City. All the ingredients were great except that the cheese curds did not melt on the fries like they should. So I suggest, if you want a "real" poutine, I would grab one while on shore.

For people wondering what I am talking about, here is a good video:

"Eating Poutine in Montreal Quebec Canada":

Every cruise needs to do this, regardless of itinerary. Maybe its the poutine loving Canadian in me that thinks this is a great idea.

I'm not Canadian, but I'm hoping they have that poutine bar on our Canada/New England cruise in May. Mmmmm poutine. :)

Lorie

I just checked my Live From thread from the Maasdam repo cruise in May/15. The poutine bar was on our Quebec City day (actually our second day in QC but we were originally scheduled for one day). It was at the Taco Bar part of the Dive In where one could put some of the same toppings on their fries and gravy. I don't recall there being cheese curds; I think they used cheese sauce and/or grated cheese. Not totally authentic but, I'm sure, still tasty.

• 2 months later...
If you like poutine and your cruise goes to Montreal, we've got a restaurant called "La Banquise". Fantastic poutine, and you can customize it with tons of different toppings!

Is there a place in Quebec City that has Poutine as a specialty ?

Our cruise ship will have an overnight stop there, and thought it might be

something to do as we wander about.

More food...just what we need. :D

Edited by Desert_ Dweller

I don't go up to Quebec city too often as it tends to be expensive and is several hours from Montreal, but you usually can't go wrong with poutines there. Most restaurants have a poutine on offer (even McDonalds, although I wouldn't recommend that one for authencity). Whether there is a restaurant like La Banquise which offers a toppings bar, I'm not sure, but "Valentin" and "La Belle Province" have some of my favourites.

Veendam had a Poutine Bar on the Lido deck at Gaspe. They served it in a basket lined with a French paper replica. But French as in the paper referenced the Eiffel tower and other sites in Paris. Poutine is uniquely French-Canadian and has nothing to do with France. Should have been paper referencing Quebec. It's like serving something uniquely American in British paper. It's the same language...

--

Typed on my smartphone. But I typed it with dumb thumbs so please excuse misturks.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a place in Quebec City that has Poutine as a specialty ?

Our cruise ship will have an overnight stop there, and thought it might be

something to do as we wander about.

More food...just what we need. :D

Poutineville is the place to go !!!

It's not far from the pier and it is delicious!!!

This is the place I go when I want a delicious poutine here in Montreal...

Check out their website and look at the menu where you can customized your poutine at your own taste!!!

58ba13ab62fd5be44c388930c189b98e.jpg

http://poutineville.com

Poutineville is the place to go !!!

It's not far from the pier and it is delicious!!!

This is the place I go when I want a delicious poutine here in Montreal...

Check out their website and look at the menu where you can customized your poutine at your own taste!!!

58ba13ab62fd5be44c388930c189b98e.jpg

http://poutineville.com

I'm on my own for a day in Quebec before my family arrives and that looks like a great place for me to try for lunch. Would you say it's a safe walk from around the Chateau Frontenac? I don't tend to stray much from the Old Town area when I'm walking. Google Maps says it's about 1.7K, so that's definitely in my walkable range, but I was thinking more about the area and the streets I would have to cross to get there walking -- and I'd be a woman walking alone.

I'm on my own for a day in Quebec before my family arrives and that looks like a great place for me to try for lunch. Would you say it's a safe walk from around the Chateau Frontenac? I don't tend to stray much from the Old Town area when I'm walking. Google Maps says it's about 1.7K, so that's definitely in my walkable range, but I was thinking more about the area and the streets I would have to cross to get there walking -- and I'd be a woman walking alone.

Great !!

You will not be disappointed !

On the map the "Le Capitol" near the restaurant is the limit of Old Quebec ( the fortification limit ) and the rest of the way is not in a bad neighbourhood at all...easy and the walk in Old Quebec is beautiful !!!

Have fun !

• 2 weeks later...

Today our daily newspaper "Journal de Montreal" voted Poutineville the best poutine in Montreal.

Second place went to Blackstrap BBQ.

Third place went to Dillallo burger.

Bon appetite !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums