Planning First Canada/New England Cruise

dkay1211

Hello! We are planning our first Canada/New England cruise for later this year and have only done Caribbean up until this point. Had thought about just doing 5 days, but will miss Maine if we do. I know everyone has their own opinions about ports, but, should we try to do the 7 day to be able to see Maine as well? If you like the Maine ports, do you have a preference over Portland or Bar Harbor? Thanks for any and all opinions and tips! :)

Definitely include Bar Harbor so that you can visit Acadia National Park, one of the highlights of our Canadian cruise. If you are a hiker, you'll especially love Acadia. But, if you want to just ride the L.L. Bean bus (free with your park admission), you can see some beautiful scenery and get on and off as you wish.

I prefer Bar Harbor over Portland.

And a correction.

GradUT wrote: But, if you want to just ride the L.L. Bean bus (free with your park admission), you can see some beautiful scenery and get on and off as you wish.

Riding the Island Explorer (LL Bean bus) is not connected to the park entry fee. The bus is free whether or not you actually enter Acadia National Park. The only time you pay the park entry fee is after you start on the one way portion of the Park Loop Rd, and that is done only for 2 of the 8 routes (routes #3 & #4).

SBtS

I'm from Portland, so I may be a little biased. :D

We actually did a Canada/NE cruise (NCL employee perk), and Acadia was so fogged in, you couldn't see the bus from across the parking spot. We did have a nice schooner cruise while there and saw some eagles. For nature and small town kitsch, Bar Harbor is great.

If you want history, top notch food, excellent craft beers and spirits, and some New England kitsch, then Portland should top your list. Portland is consistently named in the top 10 "foodie" cities in the US, we have nationally recognized brew pubs, and lots of museums and historical sites.

• 2 weeks later...

No offense to the previous poster as Portland is a fine city, but for ONE day visit, there is no comparison, it is Bar Harbor all the way.

There is just so much to see and do in just one day.

If you can do both, great, if not, I would choose Bar harbor in a heartbeat.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are not hikers....or much of walkers for that matter (2 knee replacements and 2 foot surgeries have seen to that) so was wondering if there are other things of interest in Bar Harbor that are a must see in the opinions of those here.

I am just beginning to do my research, and will be comparing everything I can glean from here and Trip Advisor. We will be in Bar Harbor on Thursday 10/6/16.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

My wife and I are not hikers....or much of walkers for that matter (2 knee replacements and 2 foot surgeries have seen to that) so was wondering if there are other things of interest in Bar Harbor that are a must see in the opinions of those here.

I am just beginning to do my research, and will be comparing everything I can glean from here and Trip Advisor. We will be in Bar Harbor on Thursday 10/6/16.

You don't have to be a hiker to enjoy Acadia National Park. As long as you are able to board a bus, take a narrated local bus tour, either Oli's Trolley or Acadia National Park tours. You won't have to leave the bus if you don't want to.

If a bus tour isn't what you want, then consider hiring a taxi for a tour.

SBtS

There are some nice windjammer cruises of the bay and islands.

... so was wondering if there are other things of interest in Bar Harbor that are a must see in the opinions of those here.

Hi Bill

I don't know about 'must see', but we had quite limited hours at BH so just did this on the Island Explorer. I missed being able to walk over to the Island by about 30 minutes. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]ohoSzar_dyY[/YOUTUBE]

I really appreciate the replies to my posting.

We are supposed to be in Bar Harbor from 8am until 5pm... of course depending on how long it takes to actually Tender in and out could cut down the time there a bit.

I have also heard some rumor that this is a Custom's port (inspections etc.) for those that are not from the US.... wondering if this would disrupt time in port. Anyone know about this?

Thanks once again for the suggestions.

I really appreciate the replies to my posting.

We are supposed to be in Bar Harbor from 8am until 5pm... of course depending on how long it takes to actually Tender in and out could cut down the time there a bit.

I have also heard some rumor that this is a Custom's port (inspections etc.) for those that are not from the US.... wondering if this would disrupt time in port. Anyone know about this?

If Bar Harbor is the first US port after a foreign port then everyone will go through customs. The agents will board the cruise ship and depending how the cruise ship handles the inspections, it can be a breeze or a mess. How much time it takes will depend on how it is handled.

Tender time in BH is about 10 minutes each way.

SBtS

If Bar Harbor is the first US port after a foreign port then everyone will go through customs. The agents will board the cruise ship and depending how the cruise ship handles the inspections, it can be a breeze or a mess. How much time it takes will depend on how it is handled.

Tender time in BH is about 10 minutes each way.

SBtS

Thanks for the information.... will have to take a look at the options...and maybe see what others have experienced...

Hi Chengkp75, We are fortunate to be going to Portland AND Bar Harbor. As a native to Portland, what would you recumbent for short 1 day in Portland? Is the Victoria Mansion really worthwhile to see? Was thinking your infamous lighthouse too? As the expert, what would you recommend? (I'm from Louisiana; so we have plantations but not really Victorian homes and very few lighthouses. But very good food! ) Thank you in advance.

Hi Chengkp75, We are fortunate to be going to Portland AND Bar Harbor. As a native to Portland, what would you recumbent for short 1 day in Portland? Is the Victoria Mansion really worthwhile to see? Was thinking your infamous lighthouse too? As the expert, what would you recommend? (I'm from Louisiana; so we have plantations but not really Victorian homes and very few lighthouses. But very good food! ) Thank you in advance.

Portland Head Light is of course iconic to Maine. You get some of the rocky coast line and quite frequently the surf pounding, views of the islands of Casco Bay, and a nice walk around Fort Williams. It is about 20 minute drive each way from the pier to the lighthouse.

The Victoria Mansion is almost unique in that about 90% of the original furnishings remain, so it is a time capsule of the pre-Civil War (sorry, War Between the States!) era, and if you are into history, or architecture it is very interesting.

Along similar lines is the Longfellow Home, where Henry Wadsworth Longfellow lived. As the oldest home still standing in downtown Portland, and with nearly all the furnishings belonging to the Longfellows, it is another historical time capsule.

There is a large array of fine restaurants in the Old Port area near the pier, most offering fresh local ingredients. Portland is frequently ranked in the top 10 "foodie" destinations in the US. Our collections of craft breweries also helps the food scene, and the Great Lost Bear is nationally known for its over 70 craft brews on tap.