Automatic Gratuities

Wow, uncalled for. You don't know what OP's plans are concerning this.

There is exactly zero legitimate and valid reason to remove the charge when you first board.

If you choose to not pre pay that's fine. But to immediately declare you won't pay the charge as it is posted daily without having any excuse is just being a crappy guest.

And no, no one believes you when you swear you will pay in cash. Especially since the burden then falls on the staff to turn in the funds to be pooled

There is exactly zero legitimate and valid reason to remove the charge when you first board.

Until RCI either adds it to the cruise fare or does not permit removing gratuities/service charge, some passengers are going to continue to do it. Paying in all cash is absolutely an option - some guests enjoy the "old school" way of doing things.

ANYWAY, at no time did I say I condone removing the grats. I simply offered that we do not know OP's intentions from his two sentences. Gee.

If you choose to not pre pay that's fine. But to immediately declare you won't pay the charge as it is posted daily without having any excuse is just being a crappy guest.

And no, no one believes you when you swear you will pay in cash. Especially since the burden then falls on the staff to turn in the funds to be pooled

Wow, uncalled for.

I was defending your comment Jarmo.

And sorry Langley, I never wanted to imply that you were condoning it but neither will I agree that we don't know the intentions. No one asks so vaguely without intending to stiff the crew. Of course any one who promises to pay in cash(using whatever lame justification they can come up with) is really given the benefit of the doubt. Especially after being told that there is no real benefit to anybody by doing so

I was defending your comment Jarmo.

And sorry Langley, I never wanted to imply that you were condoning it but neither will I agree that we don't know the intentions. No one asks so vaguely without intending to stiff the crew. Of course any one who promises to pay in cash(using whatever lame justification they can come up with) is really given the benefit of the doubt. Especially after being told that there is no real benefit to anybody by doing so

They didn't ask vaguely. They asked a simple question and got a simple answer. Stop being so condescending and judgmental towards others based on your assumptions.

Thanks all, even those who chose to get a little pissy. And actually, yes, we are old school and we do tip in cash, and for what it's worth, very well. Just never liked the idea of tipping before service. And we also go on the many comments we've had over the years from crewmembers who told us they prefer cash. So no, we aren't monsters out to rip off the crew.

Living in the UK our gratuities are pre payed and included in the price of the holiday. We wouldn't do it any other way, I see it as part of the cost of the holiday and like to have it payed and out of the way. We have just done our 4th cruise and never had bad service, it would never cross my mind to remove gratuities.

past Cruises

independent, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody.

Gratuities are just a regular business risk - sometimes you win sometimes you loose.

From what I read here:

For everybody that is not tipping - there are 5 people that will gladly over-tip!:cool:

Out of curiosity, (coming from European non-tippinng environment), is it really possible to over-tip? I mean what do you consider over-tipping?

I am in trouble with land based US vacations, as I fear I leave somebody out since I cannot fully comptehend as to who alll expect to be tipped. Like in a hotel or hair salon. Restaurants are easy!