Cozumel - worth it?

smittyfen

We are considering a cruise that has Cozumel as the second stop. Our son said he heard people talking on the cruise we just took (our first) that Cozumel was worse than Ocho Rios with people coming up to you and trying to sell you drugs, carvings and themselves.

Can anyone let me know about their experience at Cozumel. I was all excited when I first heard about going there. Thank you:confused:

I have been to Cozumel and Ocho Rios and there is no way the two stops can ever be compared. Yes, you will be asked to come into a shop or slightly pushed to buy something but I have never seen drugs or anything else being pushed.

If you are concerned about your visit, take a ship excursion or book a private one through many of the companies listed on cc. There is so much to see and do on Cozumel and it is a very easy island to navigate.

I can also suggest that you hire I private driver for the day. He can lead you in the right direction to what you want to see and also guide you along with shopping and help keep some of the locals away if that is your wish. I have used Gerry twice now and he is a very nice family man that speaks fluent English. You can contact him at .. cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com

I have been to Cozumel 14 times in the past 3 years and have yet to have anyone sell me drugs or offer themselves. Some of the vendors can be a little pushy but you find that in any port.

I have also been to Jamaica. Within a 30 minute time frame of walking down the street in Mbay, I was offered drugs 7 times. The two places are totally different. Plus you will feel much safer in Cozumel.

Dave

........he heard people talking on the cruise we just took (our first) that Cozumel was worse than Ocho Rios with people coming up to you and trying to sell you drugs, carvings and themselves.
We've been to Cozumel a number of times and, as others have posted, never had a problem with being offered anything illegal.

I'm thinking that the people your son heard talking were doing just that, "talking".

FWIW, many people just love Jamaica. Personally, we have no desire to return there.

Charlie

We've been there 10 times and never was offered anything like drugs or sex. They will try and get you into their shops but never get real pushy. Now maybe if you wander off the beaten track it may get like that, but we've done the shopping thing, the beach thing and never any problem. Go & enjoy.

We've been there 10 times and never was offered anything like drugs or sex. They will try and get you into their shops but never get real pushy. Now maybe if you wander off the beaten track it may get like that, but we've done the shopping thing, the beach thing and never any problem. Go & enjoy.

DW and I just got back from a week in Cozumel, and we lived midtown on Ave 55, which is way off the beaten path, and there is no one up there trying to sell you anything. If you walk into a corner store, no one pushes you to buy anything. You pick up what you want (soda, chips, etc..), pay and walk out.

Cozumel is very, very safe, and we walked home during the evening and night many times, and never EVER felt unsafe, EVER. And, we were NEVER offered drug or anything illegal by anyone.

The vendors closer to the water, are just doing their job. All you have to say is "No, gracias", which means "no thank you" (No is the same in english and latin american spanish language).

Another tip: If you are walking on Melgar (the main drag on the water), walk on the water side, and you will say "no, gracias" a lot less, as there are no stores on that side. A few folks selling tours, but that's about it.

Go to Cozumel, have fun, and try to give a little of your money to someone else besides Carlos - N - Charlies or Senor Frogs.. :) No offense to those who like C-N-C's or Frogs, but there's so much more to Cozumel than the main drag.

Just a side note for those who dont know. There are at least three brothels in Cozumel but they are located out near the Puerta Maya pier area. One is the white building on the left past the gas station. The others are down the side road at the traffic light. I would not get alarmed by it as you will find this in any port area where you have ships.

Dave

Just a side note for those who dont know. There are at least three brothels in Cozumel but they are located out near the Puerta Maya pier area. One is the white building on the left past the gas station. The others are down the side road at the traffic light. I would not get alarmed by it as you will find this in any port area where you have ships.

Dave

Dave, inquiring minds would like to know how you came about this fascinating bit of information.:D ;) :D

Dianne (Charlie's wife)

We've never had a problem in Cozumel. The shop vendors on the main drag in San Miguel can be a little insistant that you shop at their stores, but if you don't want to...DON'T. They are no worse than telemarketers on the phone at home or those girls who want to spray you with perfume in the department stores!!

I personally LOVED Cozumel. If you are concerend though - check out Playa Uvas. It is a private resort beach with snorkling, kayaking, a restaurant, store, pool, lounge chairs and beach beds, massages, bar, etc. You can reserve a package deal (I highly recommend this - we went to their website and did it through Eduardo - no problems at all!), go a la carte, or some cruise lines offer a package with them (costs more this way though). A taxi there from Punta Langosta Pier is $10 each way for up to 4 people. The package we got was $45 each for lunch (which was very, very nice), open bar (and non alch- drinks too), kayak instruction, and 45 minutesof kayaking with a guide in the gulf. We also opted for a massage ($1/minute) and shopped at the store there (shirts, jewelry, what-nots). It was such a one-stop shopping kind of place that even though I had initially wanted to go back to Los Cinco Soles (good shopping by the way - next to Pancho's Backyard Restaurant - which is also very good) in San Miguel, I didn't feel the need to - so we just got back on board!

All in all - a very nice and safe place! Personally, I thought MoBay in Jamaica was WAY more pushy as far as people tapping on the bus/cab windows to sell you drugs or hair braiding!

Happy sails to you,

Dawn

Dave, inquiring minds would like to know how you came about this fascinating bit of information.:D ;) :D

Dianne (Charlie's wife)

Internet for one and the other is have you noticed there are usually one or two bouncer type guys standing on the second floor entrance of the white building. There is also a sign on the side of the building but you can only see it if you are driving towards town.

Dave

Cozumel is nothing like Ocho Rios.. IMO.

Cozumel is my favorite western port.

Ditto for me. Ocho Rios is, IMO, a waste of time and one of few ports I won't get off the ship for. Cozumel is my favourite, and one (if not THE) main reasons I'm going on the cruise I am this weekend.

Grab lunch at Pancho's Backyard inside Los Cinco Soles, you won't regret it!

Cheers,

Rick.

The only down side to Cozumel that I saw is that the crowds went from wee, to not so wee to fricken huge as the day progressed. Around 3PM I could have sworn every cruise ship in the free world was in port.:eek:

And I live for the pushy vendors. The dickering was a good time.

Passion Island rocked as well.

I've been to Cozumel three times now and I must say that the last time (May 2007) we were a little disappointed. The hurricanes really ripped through this place and it has taken awhile to rebuild.

However, it is always fun to stop in at one of the chain bar/restaurants and have lunch. We spent almost an entire afternoon at Margaritaville because they back up to the water and you can tan on a floating "barge" or snorkel and swim in the water right outside of the bar area.

One of the best excursions we ever took in Cozumel was snorkeling on a catamaran. You can book it through the ship... and I suggest you do so. They provide free drinks and a great time. I think they also stop at Playa del Carmen, which is a beautiful beach. You can take a ferry back to Cozumel if you want to stay there awhile. I think they run about every 15 minutes.

Another beach you might want to visit is called Playa Mia. You can take a cab there for A LOT less than the cruiselines charge to take you there. You can rent beach chairs and umbrellas... and buy food and drinks.

By the way - We've never been offered drugs, but one of the people we met on the ship (a pastor, actually) was offered marijuana. He said they were very inconspicuous, but that when he made eye contact the guy approached him.

My wife and I were in Cozumel in March of 2006. It was our favourite port. Even with the damage done by Katrina it was fabulous. We rented an electric cart and toured the island by ourselves, then went on a Catamaran tour to a private beach.

It was the highlight of our trip.

I went to Cozumel for the first time in 04 and loved it so much I just booked another cruise to go back. Out of all of the ports I've been to, Cozumel had the least pushy vendors. Along with everyone else here I was never offered drugs or anything of the sort. My friend and I booked an all inclusive trip to a private resort through one of the local vendors (wish I could remember the name of it!) and had the best time!

I'm thinking about planning a cruise for 09 that includes Ochos Rios as a port stop, but after reading the reviews on it in this thread I'm either going to reconsider or just stay on the ship when it gets there.

Internet for one and the other is have you noticed there are usually one or two bouncer type guys standing on the second floor entrance of the white building. There is also a sign on the side of the building but you can only see it if you are driving towards town.

Dave

OMG!! It just came to me! We took a Segway tour, last September, and we had our pre-ride briefing in the 1st level of the "gentlemans club" building!! Too funny! :p

OMG!! It just came to me! We took a Segway tour, last September, and we had our pre-ride briefing in the 1st level of the "gentlemans club" building!! Too funny! :p

Yes, the Segway's are rented around back at ground level.

Dave

In Cozumel, you don't even have to go in to town, yet have a great time. You can take a cab to Paradise Beach, or better yet rent a jeep and drive south and over to the east side of the island. There are some great spots along the way. We've had a great time doing that. There's no way I would rent a jeep and venture off in Jamaica.

Mike

Actually, after our first visit to Cozumel while on a cruise, we made two land vacations there. It would have been three, but I didn't get to pick the last vacation or we would have gone there again. :(

I'd pick a week (or longer) on Cozumel over a cruise anytime.

Archived