Passports on excursions

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 6,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:42 AM.
Enosburg Falls, VT
17,299 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by patriotsgirl01
Does this mean that you are required to take your passport with you while in Cuba?
It means that if Cuba is part of your itinerary you need a passport since Cuba is not part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Cuba may very well also require visitors to carry their documentation with them at all times.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
Tampa Bay, FL
49 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by sparks1093
It means that if Cuba is part of your itinerary you need a passport since Cuba is not part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Cuba may very well also require visitors to carry their documentation with them at all times.
Thank you. Cuba is part of my itinerary, and this is the first time I am cruising with a passport. I know there is much debate on whether to carry them with you while in port. Do you know where I can find if Cuba does require them at all times?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruise

Carnival Inspiration September 2011
Chicago
9,501 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by patriotsgirl01
Thank you. Cuba is part of my itinerary, and this is the first time I am cruising with a passport. I know there is much debate on whether to carry them with you while in port. Do you know where I can find if Cuba does require them at all times?
Most likely that information will be in the daily newsletter left in your cabin or an announcement is made prior to disembarkation. If you are taking a private tour you can inquire of your tour company what they recommend.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Sounds of the wind or sounds of the sea make me happy just to be. ~June Polis

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:
M.V. Hobart Star 1974 (Blue Star Line)
T.S.S. Festivale 1993 (Carnival Cruise Line)
S.S. Norway 2003 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Queen Mary2 2006 (Cunard Line)
Carnival Imagination 2009 (Carnival Cruise Line)
M.V. Norwegian Sun 2010 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Destiny 2011 (Carnival Cruise Line)
Norwegian EPIC 2013 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Breeze 2014 (Carnival Cruise Line)

Tampa Bay, FL
49 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Sauer-kraut
Most likely that information will be in the daily newsletter left in your cabin or an announcement is made prior to disembarkation. If you are taking a private tour you can inquire of your tour company what they recommend.
Thank you
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruise

Carnival Inspiration September 2011
Rock Hill, South Carolina
34 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Bring ship card and picture ID. Thats mostly all you need with loop cruises from from a US port starting your cruise and ending your cruise in US port. However if using a outside vendor for excursion other than ship sponsor bring passport and credit cards just in case you miss the ship which is rare. You will than need it for flight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NORWEGIAN ESCAPE 2017 EASTERN CARIBBEAN
CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2017 BAHAMAS
CARNIVAL VISTA 2016 SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
CARNIVAL MAGIC 2016 EASTERN CARIBBEAN
RCI BRILLIANCE OF SEAS 2016 WESTERN CARIBBEAN
RCI ALLURE OF SEAS 2015 WESTERN CARIBBEAN
NORWEGIAN GETAWAY 2014 EASTERN CARIBBEAN
RCI FREEDOM OF SEAS 2014 EASTERN CARIBBEAN
CARNIVAL BREEZE 2013 SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
NORWEGIAN EPIC 2011 EASTERN CARIBBEAN
CARNIVAL DREAM 2010 WESTERN CARIBBEAN
NORWEGIAN PEARL 2008 EASTERN CARIBBEAN
NORWEGIAN STAR 2006 ALASKA
CARNIVAL FANTASY 1998 BAHAMAS
Charlotte, NC
2,509 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by firefighterman
Bring ship card and picture ID. Thats mostly all you need with loop cruises from from a US port starting your cruise and ending your cruise in US port. However if using a outside vendor for excursion other than ship sponsor bring passport and credit cards just in case you miss the ship which is rare. You will than need it for flight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Disagree.

Leave the passport in your safe - you could bring a photocopy if you wish.

If you miss the ship (agree that is rare), security will accompany staff to retrieve it from your safe and leave it with the port agent

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
Cincinnati
2,499 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by Herfnerd
Disagree.

Leave the passport in your safe - you could bring a photocopy if you wish.

If you miss the ship (agree that is rare), security will accompany staff to retrieve it from your safe and leave it with the port agent

I'm not entirely sure that's true. Perhaps if you knew you were going to miss and contacted them. Otherwise how would they know if you brought your passport into port or left it on the ship.

I did read a posting from someone that missed the ship and did not have their passports with them. They said that they were able to contact the local police and get special permission to travel without a passport to catch up with the ship. Not sure if it was via plane or train (they were in Europe) but they were going to another country - so a passport would normally be required.

Also from a family member whose friend's passport was stolen while out of the country, you simply have to get to the nearest US embassy to get a replacement.

That being said, we leave our passports in the safe and take our driver's license and a copy of the passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
65 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Excursions requiring a passport should be marked with a passport required such as the Skagway bus/train excursions which we booked on our previous cruise. The Alaskan cruise even with a closed loop requires a passport for this excursion.
Charlotte, NC
2,509 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by sanger727
I'm not entirely sure that's true. Perhaps if you knew you were going to miss and contacted them. Otherwise how would they know if you brought your passport into port or left it on the ship.

I did read a posting from someone that missed the ship and did not have their passports with them. They said that they were able to contact the local police and get special permission to travel without a passport to catch up with the ship. Not sure if it was via plane or train (they were in Europe) but they were going to another country - so a passport would normally be required.

Also from a family member whose friend's passport was stolen while out of the country, you simply have to get to the nearest US embassy to get a replacement.

That being said, we leave our passports in the safe and take our driver's license and a copy of the passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's been noted that if you have not returned by the time they are ready to sail off, a member of the staff along with a member of security will head to your stateroom and look in your safe (only) for passports. If they find none, they assume you either have them with you or didn't bring one

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
New Cumberland,PA, USA
27,342 Posts
Joined May 2000
We assume since the OP did not specifically mention Cuba...that this is not an issue. One might consider that an awful lot of passengers (it can even be the majority) on a closed loop Caribbean cruise do not even have or own a Passport! We have been on more then 50 Caribbean cruises, over a lot of years, and have never....ever.....taken our Passports off the ship in a port. Since we spend a lot of time in the water (on Caribbean islands) we take the fewest valuables since we do not want to carry them into the sea .

Hank