What to feed 11 month old on shore excursions?

Are we there yet?

What does he eat at home? You can take packaged food off of the ship, so bring along jars or packets (and snacks) that he would be used to. Most baby food containers are also under 3 oz, so you can even take them in your airplane carry on, if needed.

Thanks pitzel for replying. I am his grandmother and my daughter in law feeds him mashed food she makes herself. She says he doesn't like puréed food anymore which is pretty much what jarred food is, so this is why we are wondering what we can take off. If need be we will have to take him back to the ship, so no traveling too far. Crackers and cereal will only get him so far I am thinking.

My children didn't start traveling until the age of 2, and they both received the Hep A vaccine prior to traveling. They ate everything we ate - exposing our kids to new foods is one of the reasons I love to travel with them. At 2, my older son loved eating jerk chicken at Scotchie's in Jamaica, and he ate local food everywhere we went.

It is ultimately the parents call - for me I'd feed an 11 month old anything they'd eat that has been freshly made. But absolutely no ice or local water. But I do understand that if their doctor told them not to do this, they'd be reluctant to ignore his advice.

We brought along cereal for snacks, since they were prepackaged. I don't know if the packaged yoghurt can be taken off the ship - you can ask when you board.

My children didn't start traveling until the age of 2, and they both received the Hep A vaccine prior to traveling. They ate everything we ate - exposing our kids to new foods is one of the reasons I love to travel with them. At 2, my older son loved eating jerk chicken at Scotchie's in Jamaica, and he ate local food everywhere we went.

It is ultimately the parents call - for me I'd feed an 11 month old anything they'd eat that has been freshly made. But absolutely no ice or local water. But I do understand that if their doctor told them not to do this, they'd be reluctant to ignore his advice.

We brought along cereal for snacks, since they were prepackaged. I don't know if the packaged yoghurt can be taken off the ship - you can ask when you board.

Yogurt sounds like a great idea, I will definitely ask. Good for your kids for eating jerk chicken, I can't even eat that!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. We have 2 months before we go, he is only 9 months right now, so maybe she can try and get him used to some packaged food we can take with us. You know you try and do the best for your kids by making them fresh food but when this sort of thing comes up you are left wringing your hands.

Isn't labadee royal caribbeans private island? Won't the food be provided by rc? Perhaps they should double check with the doctor - I would imagine the food quality on labadee is the same as on the ship. Or at least it'll probably be pretty easy to get back to the ship.

An 11-month old doesn't eat that much in terms of quantity, formula and some packaged snacks will be more than sufficient. Give him a 'big' breakfast, formula and snacks for lunch and then a snack when you get back on board, unless you are going to be gone for more than 6-8 hours he will be just fine. You might suggest that your DIL finds some pre-packaged toddler snacks that she is OK with him having, there are many brands and choices out there. My son loved the Plum Organics pouches, and we gave him their different kinds of puffs too.

San Juan, St Maarten, Labadee. On oasis of the seas. The girl I booked with used to work on royal ships, maybe she has some ideas.

San Juan is US - so exact same health standards for restaurants at home. St marten is Dutch and French and exactly the same - ZERO food or water safety concerns.

I can't comment on Labadee because I don't sail RCI.

But I agree with the other posters - my 11 month old boys ate off my plate. Rice, mashed platntains, beans, cheese, small pieces of shredded chicken. You name it, they are ur. A sealed package of cheerios from Lido will possibly be allowed off - check the ship rules.

In San Juan there is a walgreens as you get off the ship. Easy to get a whole days with of snacks there. Don't remember about St Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Labadee provides lunch from the ship...plenty of fruit, chicken, etc...that an almost 1 year old can eat! If you need a snack, you can bring pre-packaged things off the ship.

Both San Juan and St. Maarten have PLENTY of food....restaurants abound! San Juan is a US territory, and has the same water regulations that we have...water isn't an issue there. St. Maarten also has clean water....they are, after all, a tourist destination, and it wouldn't do to make their guests ill!

San Juan, St Maarten, Labadee. On oasis of the seas. The girl I booked with used to work on royal ships, maybe she has some ideas.

San Juan and St Marteen, won't be issues either.

If you stay in old San Juan there are many restaurants and the food is fine ( lived there for nine years). St Marteen has plenty of places also.

I would stick to bottled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't needlessly worry about this. Eat meals on board the ship and take him some boxed cereal and bottled water from the ship for a snack. You can take a few small applesauce soft packs with you from home and save them for excursions. Take along hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes for the baby's hands. You can buy a sippy top or nipple for water bottles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just my two cents.. for what it's worth! Last year we sailed with my DS on his first birthday. On Carnival, we were able to carry on a package of bottled water, with prior approval, to mix his formula with. I'm going to second the pre-packaged pouch foods. We loved the Plum Organics also. At meals, DS would eat a little bit of whatever we were eating, mashing appropriate foods. It was EASYYY!!! We're sailing again this November before his second birthday and he is MUCH more active and will be a whole new ball game!!!

Edited to add: The boxed cereal of Cheerios were also a lifesaver! They allow you to carry them off the ship. It was also a great snack to keep in the room!